PDA

View Full Version : Possible fuel issue?

85shelbycharger
03-03-2006, 03:43 PM
Well my Charger is acting up on me again, this time worse than ever before. In the lower RPM range, the car "hesitated" and "bogged down". I've been driving it like this for nearly a month, simply because I dont' have time between school and work to try and fix it. Yesterday though I had enough and pulled the car in the garage.

First thing I did was pull the spark plugs out to see how they were. Looked fine, so I put them back in...only now the car wouldn't hardly move at all. It wouldn't rev up hardly at all and was just an all around mess.

Well at this time I had to get back to school so I loaded up my gear in my grandma's Reliant K :eyebrows:. Came home later and started going over everything I could think of.

Here is what I tried:
1. Put in NEW plugs and wires - still ran the same
2. Swapped on a different dist. cap - still ran the same
3. Swapped in different AIS and TPS sensors - still ran the same
4. Swapped in a different HEP - still ran the same
5. Tried a different MAP sensor - still ran the same
6. Tried a different logic module - still ran the same

So at that point I was clueless, so I called a friend of mine who is a Chrysler master tech. He had me pull the vacuum line to the fuel pressure regulator and try moving the car like that. Well I did pull the vac line, and it seemed to idle better plus the car would move again.

My question for you guys is this a definite fuel issue? What should I look into trying first (injectors, FPR)? I just put in a NEW Walbro 255 pump and a NEW Mopar fuel filter in August (about 5k miles ago).

Thanks.

85shelbycharger
03-03-2006, 03:48 PM
I also want to add that the car would also seem to "bog out" as I was driving, particularly when I would start up a hill.

3Bar_Mopar
03-03-2006, 04:57 PM
See if you can smell gas in the vac line to the FPR...it may be leaking or the diaphram may be stuck.

85shelbycharger
03-03-2006, 05:34 PM
See if you can smell gas in the vac line to the FPR...it may be leaking or the diaphram may be stuck.

Well I was driving around with the vac hose to the FPR disconnected and it ran better than it has been. I'll smell it though and see whats up.

I also just put the fuel pressure gauge on, and at idle with the vac line to the FPR disconnected, I am getting 52 psi of pressure, and with the vac line to the FPR connected, I am getting 41 psi of pressure.

85shelbycharger
03-03-2006, 05:35 PM
So now, I'm leaning towards the possibility of another bad fuel pump :mad:
I just put a new one in 5k miles ago..

3nglenn
03-03-2006, 05:59 PM
I'd start by checking your codes, verify your timing belt is set up correctly, and check your timing with a light. Easy stuff to do to take those factors out of the picture. Then go from there. Keep us posted. G.P.

85shelbycharger
03-03-2006, 06:16 PM
I'd start by checking your codes, verify your timing belt is set up correctly, and check your timing with a light. Easy stuff to do to take those factors out of the picture. Then go from there. Keep us posted. G.P.

It doesn't throw any codes..just code 55 (end of codes). And last Saturday I went over the timing with my buddy Phil (also a Chrysler master tech), so it's good.

3nglenn
03-03-2006, 07:00 PM
FPR issue? Should be 48-52# at idle.

85shelbycharger
03-04-2006, 12:17 AM
FPR issue? Should be 48-52# at idle.

Thats what I was thinking, but Ron (Chrysler master tech) told me that he has rarely ever seen an FPR go bad, and if it was bad, it would leak (which mine isn't). With the vac line connected I was getting approximately 42 psi, and with the vac line disconnected I was getting 52 psi. So he told me that he was thinking more along the lines of the problem being the fuel pump.

I'm leaning towards agreeing with him on the fuel pump because you can hear it humming pretty good now..so we'll see.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

deuce dodge
03-04-2006, 07:43 AM
have seen reg's. go bad :)

try replacing "temp sensor".and if you already have.............. check its out put voltage..........there are a two diferent ones out there and AUTOZONE will always give you the wrong one :P.

deuce