PDA

View Full Version : Looking to purchase an SRT-4 maybe, but...

Shelbydaytona91
04-17-2008, 08:41 PM
When I test drove the car it would grind going into 1st unless I was completely stopped. The dealership said they would fix it if I wanted the car but I'm still concerned. It's an 05 SRT-4 and it already is grinding a gear, should I be worried and stay away from this deal? Also there was some turbo flutter but the intake pipe had a leak, could that cause flutter? Thanks in advanced.

Keito
04-17-2008, 09:47 PM
Robert,

05's had the most transmission problems.
Something to consider.
Also I never downshift into 1st when moving, it's just too steep.
Going around coners or whatever I just go to 2nd.

Shelbydaytona91
04-17-2008, 10:12 PM
Thanks Keito. I would only down shift it into 1st when coming up to a stop but I would leave the clutch in and it was just grind while moving into the 1st position, rather like if you try to put a moving manual car into reverse.

rich tideswell
04-18-2008, 02:47 PM
that trans is boogered up. run away from this one, no matter how good the deal is.

neoned
04-19-2008, 09:41 AM
Hold the phone here. Was it kind of hard shifting into all gears? Is reverse hard to get into as well? SRT's have a problem with the TOB fork wearing. The solution is either a new fork or a hydraulic (tilton) which is what I will be doing. The owner may have let this go on to long and that where the grind is.

The 05 problem is with 3rd gear, not first. There is parts for that too.

Check out these guys for all your tranny needs. And he has a HTOB kit, but doesn't advertise on his site. E-mail him about it. There is one part that is hard to find. http://www.rage-tek.com/home.php?cat=248

So buy with caution.

Shelbydaytona91
04-19-2008, 11:35 AM
Well I didn't try reverse, but I tried 1-5 and the only gear that had a problem was 1st when you were moving. No grinding when stopped.

neoned
04-23-2008, 05:02 PM
Well I didn't try reverse, but I tried 1-5 and the only gear that had a problem was 1st when you were moving. No grinding when stopped.

It won't grind yet. It's just hard to put in. Mine was starting to do the same.

mpboost
04-30-2008, 10:45 AM
Interesting......

My 05 still has the stock trans with no 3rd gear issues. First gear is always hard to downshift to while moving, however it doesn't really grind.

I see you live in St Augustine Florida. I would see if anyone in the FL forums on srtforums.com knows who owned the car last. A lot of times people beat on them, then remove the mods and reinstall as many of the stock parts as they can before trading it in.

I am kind of glad I bought mine new, because it would be terribly difficult to find a used one now that hasn't been run through the ringer.

JamesL
04-30-2008, 11:07 AM
This car was bought new in Florida.
http://www.turbododge.com/forums/f7/f30/166729-fs-fwd-p-2003-srt-4-a.html#post1280083