PDA

View Full Version : Which valve spring compressor?

altered7151
03-03-2006, 11:37 AM
What valve spring compressor are you guys using? I had one of the kind with the fingers the go into the spring which worked, but with alot of cussing. I then bought one of the big c-clamp style ones, but it must have been a cheapy as it collapsed last night trying to compress a spring :mad: Any recommendations or homemade style compressors?

Blue Iroc R/T
03-03-2006, 11:54 AM
I have used this KD 2400 Valve Spring Compressor on both 16v and 8v, with the head on the car and with the head off the car. http://www.pbase.com/rmscott/valve_spring_compressor
For the 16v, I just had to make a bar with a couple of holes drilled in it to bolt in place of the rocker ---'y. I see the on ebay ever so often, or you can google KD 2400 or KD 3087 and find some Tool Supply places that sell them.

altered7151
03-03-2006, 12:23 PM
Okay, That was one of the options I was looking at, good to know it works well. How hard is it to compress the springs on the 8v head with the head off the car?

Blue Iroc R/T
03-03-2006, 02:02 PM
Okay, That was one of the options I was looking at, good to know it works well. How hard is it to compress the springs on the 8v head with the head off the car?

Not bad at all. I place a small piece of wood on my work bench, then set the head on the wood and locate the piece of wood under the valve. Then I take a deep well socket and set on top of the retainer and give it a little rap, to break the keepers loose from the retainer. Then put the compressor tool on and press down. If necessary, grab the keepers with a small pocket telescoping magnet. Piece of cake! :thumb: