PDA

View Full Version : 3.0T makes drag radials worthless.

Ondonti
04-13-2008, 04:31 PM
T67 6g72 Plymouth Duster Sundance - Video (http://videos.streetfire.net/video/T67-6g72-Plymouth-Duster-Sundance_157327.htm)

Got my car back together to go to a dodge BBQ at the park yesterday and bansheenut put his drag radials on the car because he thought that would make for a more fun ride (traction). We found that regardless of the road, traction wasnt not happening until 4th gear unless we were really lucky.

I am really happy about the performance on just 6 pounds of boost though :D
I feel the setup is really happy...and I still have another 1000 rpms of powerband waiting above my stock rev limiter (hp peak is above my limiter too :( )

This is the only video he sent me so far.

turbovanmanČ
04-13-2008, 04:41 PM
Come on, wheres the burnout? Engine sounds good.

The guys comment is pretty funny, :lol:

Ondonti
04-13-2008, 05:04 PM
Burnout would require a semi decent E brake :P

You can hear the e brake squeaking (it doesnt like to release) when I line up again. Never been in the mood to work on it. The ghetto handbrake I built is bad enough :P

I was disapointed in the BFG drag radials. I was thinking earlier in the morning (before testing them) that I should buy some for myself.
Consider myself out of the market for drag radials unless they are MUCH larger. That pretty much means custom wheels which I am not very excited about for driving on the street.
We poured more VHT out lit the VHT on fire for fun and the car stuck in 2nd gear sorta but broke loose in 3rd again.

I dont quite understand why 3rd gear is so bad right now.
I think if I drive gingerly the boost doesnt load up all the way (thats what it seems like on the datalog cory took yesterday).
The way to make 2nd gear stick is to go WOT after RPMS are high so it doesnt have time to built boost since 2nd gear only lasts about 1 second when you have traction. But if you are reving and shifting, the big turbo wheels dont slow down like a small turbo so you get instant boost in the next gear

Sorta pissed cause this means datalogging for "tuning" wont work unless I am in 4th gear. We totally dropped the idea of adding more boost yesterday :P

Ondonti
04-15-2008, 12:00 AM
Race track opens Saturday so I will see if I can have some fun at test and tune.

Car is hard to shift with how I have the shifter cables, plus I dont think they are in great condition so I hope that before saturday I can make myself swap shifter cables and possible cut new holes in the firewall that remove some of the kink from the shifter cables.

My spare set of cables are from a lebaron so they should be longer then the P body cables.

When I did a 5 speed swap on my spirit I ran the cables through a place on the firewall instead of the stock place in the exhaust tunnel and that make the cables much happier for shifting, even when the shifter has been cut shorter.

Ondonti
04-21-2008, 03:50 PM
Well the ancient 24.5" slicks dont work much better then drag radials.

Big_P
04-21-2008, 11:16 PM
Were you burning the tires into third gear?

Birddog
04-21-2008, 11:26 PM
Of all the times to not have a sound card...

Speedeuphoria
04-21-2008, 11:47 PM
Were you burning the tires into third gear?

yes he is!!! Its deff a monster on 6psi. The way its setup is to make some boost but he's been keeping it down because the tires dont cooperate at all

nmw2006
04-22-2008, 12:12 AM
I wish I could get my setup to bounce off the rev limiter in third.......:hail:

Ondonti
04-22-2008, 07:55 AM
The crappy old 24.5 slicks dont break loose like street tires and let me hit the limiter, they just seem to slip enough to slow things down.

I was lazy and didnt datalog either to see how the car was behaving while rowing through gears. Not a good time to be lazy.

Kept having major rubbing of the slick on the drivers strut. In two videos Banshenut took you can see my car drifting towards the wall or towards the centerline badly. I changed the camber to get more space but it still rubbed on my last pass and we took to much air out of the slick so it cupped and I just didnt hook up.
What sucks is that our video isnt very helpful for seeing any tirespin and figuring out what is happening and why.

I think it might rain the next test and tune and the track wont be very warm but hopefully things turn out well so I can have a chance to try Bansheenuts new 24.5" slicks that are also mounted on rims that have less offset. I think the rims mine are mounted too are VW steelies and they just dont work even with a spacer unless I take out all the camber on the drivers side (which hurts traction).

Captain Chaos
04-22-2008, 08:50 AM
I wish I could get my setup to bounce off the rev limiter in third.......:hail:

Don't shift, it will get there eventually. Unless you are using an auto.

nmw2006
04-22-2008, 09:10 PM
Don't shift, it will get there eventually. Unless you are using an auto.

Thanks I will try that:thumb:

shelbyplaya
04-22-2008, 09:45 PM
the tires are still ment to be used with low tire pressure and heated up. they will act like street tires other wise....

But nice to hear about the power :D

Ondonti
04-23-2008, 06:57 AM
Im not sure what the DR advice is for.

Same size on different rims were worthless at the track last year with 15psi and a burnout.
Considering nobody here knows what pressure the tires had or how warm they were ;)

Nobody knows how much the tires had been spinning before that either ;)

Ondonti
04-23-2008, 02:55 PM
I watched a lot of video of the car and it seems that I finally need to swap my rear suspensions with the good stuff from my Spirit because I think weight transfer is adding to the wheel spin on shifts.