PDA

View Full Version : 91 lebaron cutting out

jre97
03-02-2006, 09:00 PM
Ok it's not turbo but here goes. I've got a 91 lebaron with a 3.0 and it's cutting out anytime it gets over 60 degrees outside. About two weeks ago it warmed up nice outside and the car would spit, sputter, and sometimes stall anytime you gave it more than about a 1/8 pedal of throttle. I put in new plugs (old ones were terrible), new plug wires, cap, rotor, and a fuel filter. It seemed to fix the problem until today when it got warm again due to the freaky weather we've been having around here, it wasn't as bad as before before (wouldn't stall) but on the interstate especially trying to accelerate to speed it was cutting out badly anytime I gave it very much throttle. I tried the codes and all I got was 55, thats the all clear code isn't it? Any ideas whats wrong with this thing? I'd kinda like to get it fixed because I have to drive about 450 miles round trip this weekend to pick up my wife and it's all I've got to drive until i get the tranny back together for my daytona. Please help!:confused:

Chikan
03-03-2006, 03:28 AM
Is your oil light coming on at all? My 91 Mini with the 3.0 is doing a similar thing, whenever the engine heats up... And I'm only getting a code 55 as well.. <Stumped>

jre97
03-03-2006, 05:37 PM
No the oil light never came on, while the car was running of course. Any other ideas? I almost think it's running too rich which is fine in cold weather then when it warms up out it starts stumbling. The plugs didn't look dark colored or anything, they looked like a normal burn except one had some deposits on it where the valve seals are shot and it burns a little oil on start up or after long periods of idling.

3nglenn
03-03-2006, 05:49 PM
Try a couple bottles of dry gas and some good fuel injector cleaner first? Plugs gapped correctly? Check for vacuum leaks.

jre97
03-03-2006, 05:59 PM
New plugs and gapped every one correctly, tried the chemtool brand injector cleaner, all the vacuum hoses look to be in good shape none spongey or anything. I did notice one other thing the car will almost shut itself off when the fan kicks on but it recovers quickly.

3nglenn
03-03-2006, 06:09 PM
Can you verify your timing is ok? What brand of plugs did you use?

jre97
03-03-2006, 06:22 PM
I used champions whatever the stock recomended heat is on the hood sticker. I never messed with the timing. today it was 28 degrees and the thing ran great all day long. I'll put a light on it this weekend.

3nglenn
03-03-2006, 06:37 PM
If she acts up again you might want to try a set of NGK's, IMHO. Glad to hear it's running better :thumb: Keep us posted! G.P.

jre97
03-05-2006, 04:53 PM
Timing is ok. The car has an aftermarket fuel pump that says 90psi on the pump body but it has always ran fine over the last couple of months with it. I am assuming that it is too rich from that pump but I also thought that the stock fpr would regulate the extra pressure. Could that be my problem? I hate intermittent conditions. the only constant is when it gets warm out I can expect the car to run crappy.

3nglenn
03-06-2006, 05:56 PM
Fuel pressure on a V-6 should be 48-50 psi with vacuum to the FPR. Check at the valve on the fuel rail.

jre97
03-06-2006, 06:30 PM
I couldn't find any place to tap into the rail to check the pressure. Where is it located on a 3.0?

3nglenn
03-06-2006, 07:39 PM
All the manuals I have are showing a service port on one of the fuel rails. It will have a cap on it you unscrew to expose the fitting you attach the fuel pressure gauge to.

jre97
03-12-2006, 11:18 AM
Thats interesting my manual says that you have to install a fitting in the line to check the pressure because on the 3.0 there is no tap. Anyone know what kind of fittings I need?

jre97
06-18-2006, 12:09 PM
Well after replaceing two fuel pumps i figured it out. I was driving down an old rough brick street the other day and the car died, didn't offer to start but I could here the fuel pump running. I got out to check for fire and the coil wire was pulled out of the boot on the coil end. Changed the coil wire and has been fine since. I'm guessing that the end was never installed properly on the coil wire because I've been having a problem with it ever since i put a tune up on it in february.