PDA

View Full Version : Who here is running a tu Header with egt please read

Mr overkill
04-09-2008, 11:15 PM
who is running a tu Header not the CAST one

I need to know that if u are running a egt are you getting higher readings then before ?>

trying to see why egts are higher then the wideband is telling me it should be

Speedeuphoria
04-09-2008, 11:56 PM
I think you need to read this, just for info(post 13 and 14 specifically)
http://www.turbododge.com/forums/f4/f21/126346-safe-f-high-egt.html

and this
http://www.sdsefi.com/techegt.htm

To me I would very carefully add more timing, watching for knock, if it doesnt add more till it does then back it off 3deg(if its audible), see what your EGT's look like then.

EGT not a good gauge to have especially on just 1 cylinder or in the collector.
If you had 1 per cyl then you could tell something by how they differ, other than that its just something that makes people worry.

Mr overkill
04-10-2008, 12:04 AM
i have done 90% of that

no real change thats why i want to see if people running this header and it being coated is making it show hotter temps and all

johnl
04-10-2008, 01:36 AM
Yep, I saw 1600+ with the probe in the center of the TU welded L manifold's outlet - just B4 the turbo. I did not see temps that high with a ported stock cast manifold with the probe in the same place. Never did figure it out I'd go with Wallace's comments to the effect that A/F and old school plug chops/reading are a more direct, and less complicated, indicator. The problem is that we are working with surrogate/indirect indicators of what's going on.

MiniMopar
04-10-2008, 11:32 AM
Yeah, I've never had an EGT before I put one in the Daytona. I put it in #4 for convenience but I maybe should have put it in the collector. The WB has me at 11.5-12.0 at 21psi and I never see EGTs greater than about 1450. Even at brisk highway speeds at stoich, 1500 is the max. I pretty much never look at the thing anymore. The WB tells me all I needs to know about mixture and I've tuned the timing well enough to keep the knock sensor happy. Plugs always look fine, even when I have had some pinging.

johnl
04-10-2008, 03:30 PM
Yeah, I've never had an EGT before I put one in the Daytona. I put it in #4 for convenience but I maybe should have put it in the collector. The WB has me at 11.5-12.0 at 21psi and I never see EGTs greater than about 1450. Even at brisk highway speeds at stoich, 1500 is the max. I pretty much never look at the thing anymore. The WB tells me all I needs to know about mixture and I've tuned the timing well enough to keep the knock sensor happy. Plugs always look fine, even when I have had some pinging.

Yep, it's all about timing.

High EGTs can result from overly retarded cam or ignition, richness, or detonation - the first three do little for power but throw up the possibility of detonation and thereby can twist your tuning thinking upside down.

Mr overkill
04-10-2008, 07:44 PM
ok i will say it again my fuel at 11.5 ish and knock is not there dist timing is at 12 and cam is at 0 when i go to say 6 ATDC egts will still rise but slower

AS i asked i am just trying to see the results of others running this header

Speedeuphoria
04-10-2008, 08:21 PM
dist timing is at 12 and cam is at 0 when i go to say 6 ATDC

I'm confused by what your saying here, timing needs to be before TDC(BTDC). If you meant 6BTDC then thats retarding/lessening timing

so if you start at 12, I've read people going to 15-18(with a G head), which is adding 3-5 deg to what you have.

Mr overkill
04-10-2008, 09:10 PM
GRRRRRR

CAM TIMING IS 6 ADVANCED and DIST timing is at 12 BTDC

Anyway spoke to someone that deals with exhausts and he said because the pipe is stainless steel and it is thermal coated it will show hotter temps which is what i have