PDA

View Full Version : SC interior panel restoration

spoolinhard
04-09-2008, 01:49 PM
I resprayed all of these with the factory chrysler paint codes. Used PPG Duracryl. I am pretty happy with how they turned out, I tried scratching as hard I could with my fingernail, and could not get any paint to scratch.:D
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y90/Spoolinhard/Kaleb001.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y90/Spoolinhard/Kaleb002.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y90/Spoolinhard/Kaleb003.jpg

I have already redone the headliner, I have really nice seats, and I scored darn nice origional blue carpet out of a granma omni:thumb:

TurbododgePirate
04-09-2008, 04:21 PM
That is absolutely beautiful. You should post a how to including the paint codes. Did you use a regular automotive paint gun? Did you have to prime? Inquiring minds want to know. I need to redo some panels inside my SC, but in black or dark gray.

spoolinhard
04-09-2008, 04:46 PM
That is absolutely beautiful. You should post a how to including the paint codes. Did you use a regular automotive paint gun? Did you have to prime? Inquiring minds want to know. I need to redo some panels inside my SC, but in black or dark gray.

Unfortunately a how to with pictures is a little too late.
Here are the paint codes:
Grey: A3
Blue: SC9
You can take them to any paint store and have them made up.

I started out by cleaning the he!! out of all the panels. I used laqcuer thinner to clean them real good. Soap and water is recommended. I just wanted to open up the surface of my panels a little so that when I sprayed them, the paint would etch a little bit more into the plastic. Pipe cleaner would honestly be a little bit better for this. An old tooth brush will help you to get them as clean as possible. The trick to getting the paint to stick is to get everything as clean as you can possibly get them.

I used an HVLP gravity feed gun. 1.4 nozzle. Just basically your regular spray gun. i didnt use any primer. The paint was sticking well enough on its own. If you choose to use primer use Urethane supply company part no.3601-4. it is a bumper and cladding coater for plastics that is ready to spray.

I believe the factory paint codes can only be mixed in acyrlic laquer. If you are spraying over bare plastic without primer, put an extremely light first coat on. lay all coats on relatively thin.When you get to the third coat it should cover pretty well. Thats all I got!

zin
04-09-2008, 06:21 PM
Did you have any "sun rot" where the plastic scratches/gouges? It seems the gray panels in my Omni are like this and I'm doubtful if I painted them that they wouldn't just flake.

I'm thinking of picking up some other color interior plastic that is in good shape, and just painting them gray.

Do you think this will work?

Mike

supercrackerbox
04-10-2008, 02:32 AM
So how much to do mine? :eyebrows:

GLHS592
04-10-2008, 08:19 AM
Those panels look very nice.

OMNI-Potent
04-10-2008, 09:24 AM
Nice Job! Very professional looking!

spoolinhard
04-10-2008, 11:30 AM
Did you have any "sun rot" where the plastic scratches/gouges? It seems the gray panels in my Omni are like this and I'm doubtful if I painted them that they wouldn't just flake.

I'm thinking of picking up some other color interior plastic that is in good shape, and just painting them gray.

Mike

Sure it will work. The kick panels I actually changed the colors on. I didnt have any blue ones that werent all flaky, so I just cleaned up a good pair of grey ones and shot them, they turned out great. Just make sure what kind of paint you use. Sem is good if you have to something out of a rattle can. Tho anything out of a rattle can is never as good as anything out of a gun for the sole reason that they cant put hardener in the rattle can. It will never cure as hard as something thats been sprayed out of a gun.

Some of these were super yellowed. Boy did these suckers transform. I dug through all my panels and picked the ones that werent dry rotted.

and thanks everybody for the positive comments:)

DC Turismo
04-13-2008, 11:50 PM
Again, VERY nicely done as it has motivated me to redo mine in the same manner you have done. Consider this thread bookmarked :D

However, what did you do to the smooth indents that run horizontally (shown running vertically in your pics since you have the panels leaning against the wall) on the rear panels so the paint laid very nice in those sections without running? Just cleaned it?

I used the SEM rattle can stuff on some interior items of mine last year, and as you mentioned, using a gun with a hardener mixed in would be a much better way of going about doing it, especially when you have a tonneau cover in the back. The SEM stuff matches up nicely, but it did scratch easily too.

TurbododgePirate
04-14-2008, 11:44 AM
Unfortunately a how to with pictures is a little too late.
Here are the paint codes:
Grey: A3
Blue: SC9

Have a paint code for black?

spoolinhard
04-14-2008, 12:15 PM
Again, VERY nicely done as it has motivated me to redo mine in the same manner you have done. Consider this thread bookmarked :D

However, what did you do to the smooth indents that run horizontally (shown running vertically in your pics since you have the panels leaning against the wall) on the rear panels so the paint laid very nice in those sections without running? Just cleaned it?

I used the SEM rattle can stuff on some interior items of mine last year, and as you mentioned, using a gun with a hardener mixed in would be a much better way of going about doing it, especially when you have a tonneau cover in the back. The SEM stuff matches up nicely, but it did scratch easily too.

Cleaned it very well, then applied light coats until covered. I payed special attention to this area not to put it on too thick.

Black paint code:BX7

minigts
09-29-2008, 10:29 AM

Mike

I just picked up a set of dark gray/grey interior stuff and it was in VERY good condition. The parts were at a yard where they have been sitting for a while in the weather. The area by the door jambs are 10 times better than mine, which I used to take care of endlessly until they started to dry rot. After that, I didn't care and they have gone to poop.

So all that to say, look for the dark grey/gray if you truly want that color. The issue I have found with painting is that the paint scratches off where other parts rub against it. And I call it paint because it isn't a dye in the true sense, but others will call it that because that's how it's marketed. Look for the dark color interior of your choosing and you should be good. :)

spoolinhard
09-29-2008, 12:10 PM
I just picked up a set of dark gray/grey interior stuff and it was in VERY good condition. The parts were at a yard where they have been sitting for a while in the weather. The area by the door jambs are 10 times better than mine, which I used to take care of endlessly until they started to dry rot. After that, I didn't care and they have gone to poop.

So all that to say, look for the dark grey/gray if you truly want that color. The issue I have found with painting is that the paint scratches off where other parts rub against it. And I call it paint because it isn't a dye in the true sense, but others will call it that because that's how it's marketed. Look for the dark color interior of your choosing and you should be good. :)

unless if you have an NOS set there is no other option. Done right and taken care of it will last a good long while.

rare_ram
09-29-2008, 03:52 PM
Paint code for the dark grey? Or is that concidered blue?

minigts
09-29-2008, 04:12 PM
It's different from the blue. If no one post it by the end of the day, I'll post the paint code for my stuff. The color I used is amazingly the same color.

rare_ram
10-03-2008, 11:09 PM
It's different from the blue. If no one post it by the end of the day, I'll post the paint code for my stuff. The color I used is amazingly the same color.

Code?

minigts
10-05-2008, 11:08 PM
The SEM code is 15303 Graphite. There is another number, 05215 SEQ# 0162. I got that can at a paint store that a lot of the local body shops use. Hope that helps.

rare_ram
10-06-2008, 10:10 AM
Thanks.

Juggy
10-06-2008, 10:21 AM
nice job!!
those paint codes will come in handy! I found a n/a turismo with blue interior in the JY, IMACCULATE!!! im going to rape the car sometime this week, the panels in my car are chipping up :(

light blue car, body is MINT (rust free panels in south western ontario?!?!), underside had 1/2" of oil guard on the bottom...dont ask me how the heck the rear axle rotted off?!?!? LOL it was the only spot under neath the car that was bad other then driver floor pan!

ive tried the SEM and it didnt work out as good as I would have liked.
anyone got the factory code for the dark grey paint???

minigts
10-06-2008, 12:39 PM
I may have to to try the PPG stuff. I did my arm rest a while back and they are still doing good for the most part. The clear has worn down where I put my arm all the time, but overall they are in very good shape. I may have to try the Duracryl and see if works better.

oldgregg
11-13-2008, 07:01 PM
The SEM code is 15303 Graphite. There is another number, 05215 SEQ# 0162. I got that can at a paint store that a lot of the local body shops use. Hope that helps.Would that be also the same gray color on the metal part of the dash?

Mine is rusted & I haven't a clue what color to paint it.

minigts
11-13-2008, 07:09 PM
It's all about the same. I mean, the color I quote is so close to the dash, the metal part atop of the dash, the center console piece, etc. Everything in the car that is Charcoal is about all the same. I'll try to take a picture tonight from the hatch to show you my interior. You can determine if you can see any differences in the colors. :)

oldgregg
11-13-2008, 07:19 PM
Thanks.

shelbydave
11-13-2008, 08:12 PM
It's all about the same. I mean, the color I quote is so close to the dash, the metal part atop of the dash, the center console piece, etc. Everything in the car that is Charcoal is about all the same. I'll try to take a picture tonight from the hatch to show you my interior. You can determine if you can see any differences in the colors. :)

Did that dark grey change from the '83 to the later years, or maybe there's a difference between the blue interiors and the grey ones? I used Presidio - don't know the number, because it looked like it matched the best, but I got some kick panels from a turbo car and the grey was way off. I don't know if I screwed up or if the color changed.

TurbododgePirate
04-29-2009, 11:32 AM
BUMP for something that should be a sticky.

zin
04-29-2009, 06:13 PM
BUMP for something that should be a sticky.

+1 to that!:thumb:

spoolinhard
04-29-2009, 11:28 PM
I would like to add an update on this. I would recommend using a plastic primer before laying down the paint the primer is urethane supply company # ure3601-4. Its some expensive stuff but works very well. If you must paint directly over plastic as I have, I recommend putting ona couple heavy coats. The first coat MUST go on light because lacquer is funny stuff to spray, but after that lay on a couple good coats without running it or burying the grain. I have found that when it is on thin, that it scratches off fiarly easy. When its on heavier you really have to work to get it to come off.

Marcus86GLHS
04-30-2009, 05:10 AM
beautiful work. "burying the grain" as you put it was a bad result i often see on these materials once they are painted.

ever consider selling this resto service?

JohnnyIroc
04-30-2009, 09:56 AM
is that black code same as for 90 up daytonas?

spoolinhard
04-30-2009, 12:24 PM
beautiful work. "burying the grain" as you put it was a bad result i often see on these materials once they are painted.

ever consider selling this resto service?

I have restored Supercrackerboxes interior panels. He lives fairly close though. I would be worried about shipping to any distance. Im shure that I could pack them well enough to arrive safely. Not sure if most would be up to paying some good shipping charges on top of restoration.

spoolinhard
04-30-2009, 12:24 PM
is that black code same as for 90 up daytonas?

yes it is.

JohnnyIroc
04-30-2009, 12:47 PM
sweet so how much is that gun you have?

spoolinhard
04-30-2009, 01:16 PM
Im sure that you can get a decent cheapy for 80-90. Harbor frieght sells them for like $20. stay away from those. They are pure crap. They spray terrible.

JohnnyIroc
04-30-2009, 01:45 PM
okay well i kinda will need one soon anyways im going to be priming my car myself most likely
so spraying the black over maroon would work fine?

spoolinhard
04-30-2009, 02:14 PM
shouldnt be a problem.