PDA

View Full Version : auto in circle track car problem

2.2turboscotty
04-08-2008, 02:14 PM
friend is running auto 413 in a circle track Omni and he said he can't keep the car in first or second gear without it switching into higher gear? now i have not seen it happen first hand but if anyone has any thoughts help him out? unless i misunderstood him he wants to keep it from switching into 3rd gear on it's own. i run mostly RMVBs in my cars but he asked me to see if anyone knows what to do in this case. he has a race this weekend.
thanks

lansingsportsrage
04-08-2008, 02:43 PM
Scotty.. this will sound like a stupid question.. but is he running the car in Drive ? I haven't had any of my cars up shift without being in drive. They have down shifted on acceleration from 2nd to 1st (hence the MVB) but never up shifted when in 1st or 2nd. It almost sounds like he is putting it in Drive.

2.2turboscotty
04-08-2008, 03:12 PM
Yes it does sound that he is doing something wrong and thus is why i was asking such a strange question. i have not driven the car in question so i can't say for sure. even without a MVB it should stay in the selected gear, mine do, even though i run more RMVBs than i do stock autos. i am driving the wife's 600 T1 auto and if i put it in 1st it stays till i go to 2nd and then 3rd. i'll go by his house tonight and see what the heck he's doing, i just didn't know if anything could cause something is strange. i hope he didn't mean it was down shifting, if so nothing can be done about that except MVB as far as i know, if not what could be done about that? something with the kickdown cable?

lansingsportsrage
04-08-2008, 06:27 PM
Unhooking the kick down cable will help with that.. but if its really down shifting, sounds like he is running the wrong transfer gear.

If he is on a 1/4 mile track, and he is running the stock transfer gears, he should take them out and put in the .91 ratio transfer gears. They are stock items and can be ordered from most any transmission shop.. in fact, I have a few sets kicking around here if he is interested... A .91 ratio transfer gear he can stay in 1st gear on a 1/4.

If he is on a 3/8th mile track.. with stock gears.. and its down shifting.. the kick down cable will help... it also means he isn't going fast enough ! Even with stock gears, he should be carrying enough speed out of the corners to stay in 2nd.

turbovanmanČ
04-08-2008, 06:53 PM
Sounds like a governor issue or he will have to keep the shift lever in the gear he wants otherwise, manual valve body is his next option.

2.2turboscotty
04-09-2008, 07:33 AM
Thanks again guys, the track is 1/3 mile and the straits are almost not straits at all, the best line on the track makes it almost feel like one big circle. he didn't call me so i didn't go by there last night, i had some stuff to take out of the Sundance anyway. i almost feel that if he could just shift from 1st to 2nd only he should be OK and also he is running a carb motor so he should be able to get the 2.2 motor to pull all the way up to 7k+ anyway, no limiting factors like rev. limiter because it's not an FI motor. i do not know if he has even built a good motor for racing, i have been telling him that he is going to have to cheat some if he plans on running with the others that are. i will find out more today and get back with more info, thanks!