PDA

View Full Version : Fuel system questions

Spraynlog
04-05-2008, 09:36 PM
I bought the '86 T&C wagon last year in January. It needed a good bit of work to make it a daily driver for my daughter. I changed the fuel filter as a regular maintenance item, also replaced the original factory fuel hoses under the car and at the fuel reg and rail. (I put in Goodyear FI hose)

Later I did a fuel pressure test, and it showed a rapidly oscillating needle between 45-55. It would only dead head to 60 psi or so. Somewhere along the line the fuel pump was wired up so that it stayed on all the time if the key was on. I switched it back to original wiring, but then it would die after a couple minutes running. I returned it to the way it was, with the pump running with the key on. I also installed a new fuel pump from NAPA.

The NAPA pump would only dead head to 70 PSI, but no more oscillating needle. So today, I switched in a different power module (JY item) and set the wiring back to stock. The car keeps running as it should, but the pump still only gives me 70 PSI dead head pressure. It maintains 55PSI with the motor off for over 10 minutes, so no leaky injectors or problems with pump check valve. I have also just installed a fresh fuel filter in the last couple days. (NAPA Gold) I probed the wire to the pump at the fuel tank with a DMM and got 13.56 volts.

So my question for all you experts is, Am I missing anything? Should I just get a new pump (Walbro 255?) Why am only getting 70 PSI?

Sorry for the long post but I'm a bit frustrated...:confused2:

iTurbo
04-05-2008, 10:06 PM
Do you have another FPR you could try out?

Spraynlog
04-05-2008, 10:10 PM
Do you have another FPR you could try out? Yes, I could pull the one off my '86 Lebaron coupe. It has a Carter stock replacement pump that deadheads to 90PSI.

black86glhs
04-05-2008, 10:26 PM
You could also install a pressure guage with a long hose and tape it to the windshield. Then go drive it and watch the fuel pressure. If it never drops to a low psi, then it should be ok(as long as it runs ok, too).

GLHNSLHT2
04-05-2008, 10:53 PM
Well for a stock car I'd run a Walbro 190. If you were running bigger injectors more mods sure a 255 works. My yorker had 2 napa pumps under it's previous owner. They're junk. www.autoperformanceengineering.com FTW!