PDA

View Full Version : Armor All kills dahses??

Shelbydaytona91
04-02-2008, 07:37 PM
I had a friend telling me that everyone he talked to at the dealership where he details swear Armor All will kill your dash in the long run. In Florida's sun, I can see it only helping though. Without any protection, its only a matter of time before plastic interiors, especially dashes, get cracked and brittle. Anyone heard of this "myth" or know if its true or not?

BadAssPerformance
04-02-2008, 07:53 PM
My dad used to have a 1980 F100 Explorer (Pickup actually) and he Armor All'd it every time he washed it... eventually the plastic on the top of the door panels started to decompose like I have never seen before. I won't touch the crap unless it is all I can find.

JDAWG
04-02-2008, 07:55 PM
dont spray that garbage on your dash, it will dry it out. Best thing to do is just wipe it off with a damp cloth. Dont put it on anything plastic. I dont use any of their crap products.

Birddog
04-02-2008, 08:11 PM
My dad used to have a 1980 F100 Explorer (Pickup actually) and he Armor All'd it every time he washed it... eventually the plastic on the top of the door panels started to decompose like I have never seen before. I won't touch the crap unless it is all I can find.

Did it turn into flaky chips?? If so it was most likely just poor quality plastics, I had a couple of 80's cars do that in places that never saw the touch of Armor All.

I don't use AA but I will hit the sun exposed interior parts with (please don't laugh) whatever sunscreen the wife has laying around. Though I did use floor wax in my work van once.. Big mistake!

turbovanmanČ
04-02-2008, 08:36 PM
I thought it was a myth. Old 80's plastic dashes weren't built of the best products.

Love google-

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=armour+all+bad+for+plastic%3F&meta=

raccoon
04-02-2008, 08:40 PM
I kind of think it kills dashes, I used it on my 79 Cordoba 300 and a few weeks later it started to split. :(

BadAssPerformance
04-02-2008, 09:03 PM
Did it turn into flaky chips?? If so it was most likely just poor quality plastics, I had a couple of 80's cars do that in places that never saw the touch of Armor All.

I don't use AA but I will hit the sun exposed interior parts with (please don't laugh) whatever sunscreen the wife has laying around. Though I did use floor wax in my work van once.. Big mistake!

It became porous looking and turned white and powdery.

Funny, I've washed cars with moisturising shampoo before ;)

tryingbe
04-02-2008, 09:42 PM
In sunny places, using armor all on the dash is the worst thing you can do. Armor all will reflect sun light to the windshield making everything just that much harder to see. Out right dangerous, if you ask me.

raccoon
04-02-2008, 11:24 PM
In sunny places, uses armor all on the dash is the worst thing you can do. Armor all will reflect sun light to the windshield making everything just that much hard to see.

#1 reason not to use it.

Birddog
04-02-2008, 11:35 PM
It became porous looking and turned white and powdery.

Funny, I've washed cars with moisturising shampoo before ;)

Or dog shampoo... Or..:D

In sunny places, uses armor all on the dash is the worst thing you can do. Armor all will reflect sun light to the windshield making everything just that much hard to see.

This is where Ma Mopar was smart... Ever wonder why half the dash was flat painted before it got to the vinyl??

SpoolinGLH
04-03-2008, 12:41 AM
What do you guys use on the dash then???

BadAssPerformance
04-03-2008, 12:57 AM
I'm not quite the fancy detailer, but I've been using Meguier's vinyl protector or whatever else I get in a goody bag :thumb:

Anonymous_User
04-03-2008, 01:05 AM
http://www.meguiars.com/?detailer-dressings/Silicone-Free-Dressing

-or-

http://www.meguiars.com/?pro-vinyl-rubber-care/Vinyl-Rubber-Cleaner-Conditioner

supercrackerbox
04-03-2008, 02:39 AM
I use Formula 2001 personally, something with a UV protectant.

Captain Chaos
04-03-2008, 08:08 AM
17 years ago when I worked at a car wash we used Blue Coral products. I was told that Armor All had alcohol in it and it would actually pull the moisture out of tires, dash, leather, anything it was applied to. Don't know if it was fact or fiction, but I don't use it anymore.

GLHS592
04-03-2008, 08:21 AM
I don't like the greasy feeling and shine of Armor All. I prefer the natural look. I just use a slightly soapy/damp rag to get the dust off.

I did use some professional dash detailer in my "new" 1997 dually to rejuvinate the interior plastic. It was to a point where soap and water wasn't going to do it. I can't wait until it wears off a little because of the greasy feel. I used it on the exterior plastic on my 1998 SS/T. It looked good until the truck got wet. Now, I have grease marks running down my doors.

Dusty_Duster
04-03-2008, 08:42 AM
I use Armor All on my cars a couple times a year. I've never had any problems.

86Shelby
04-03-2008, 01:11 PM
I like the AA tire shine stuff I got for Christmas.

I definitely don't care for the greasy feeling the interior stuff gave my dashboard. I won't be using that again.

WickedShelby88
04-03-2008, 01:25 PM
3M has this stuff that is supposed to be for marine use. I used it on the rubber trim on the outside of my car as well as the faded t-top trim and not only did it work wonders but they seemed to still be in decent shape the next year. Any thing with alcohol is bad and I've heard silicone is bad too. I always try to use a sun visor in my cars to reflect the sun anyhow. It always kept interior temps in check if I had the windows cracked a little bit as well.

raccoon
04-03-2008, 01:29 PM
Ill let you in on a Honda company secret!

we use mopar general purpose spray cleaner! works freaking great leaves no residue.

Marcus86GLHS
04-03-2008, 03:40 PM
Armor All will dry out nearly all plastic/rubber parts if used frequently, dont use it, like others have said it is greasey, smelly, and attracts dust. I purged AA from my detailing inventory back in the early 80's.

I use only Lemon Pledge on my interior plastics. It will never dry the plastic, it also repels dust and has a nice mild smell.

I use Mequiers Hot Shine for the tires, but never for the interior.

layapatch
04-03-2008, 03:51 PM
I too only use Lemon Pledge, I use it on my vinly top on my Dart and all the dashes and plastics on my cars. Pledge is designed to breath, not coat the surface like armor all. How many coffee tables have you seen that are cracked! :D

Polygon
04-03-2008, 07:03 PM
I thought it was a myth. Old 80's plastic dashes weren't built of the best products.

Love google-

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=armour+all+bad+for+plastic%3F&meta=

Nope, not a myth. Armorall is an oil based datialer. That's why it shines so much. Oil + sun (heat) = cracked dash regardless of what it's made of.

As for what to use, go with Meg's Quik Interior Detailer. It has a UV protectant and it won't crack your dash.

supercrackerbox
04-04-2008, 02:36 AM
How many coffee tables have you seen that are cracked! :D

Mine was, but this isn't a thread about crazy parties . . .

2.2turboscotty
04-04-2008, 08:59 AM
my wife sprays her tires on her Jeep with that tire foam stuff all the time, she puts it on really heavy and the Jeep has 35 Swampers so the can doesn't last long. the funny thing was i was checking the air pressure and i noticed the tires had what looked like dry rot cracks on the sidewall. i looked on the inside of the tires and no cracks at all, i told her to find something else instead because the tires are almost worn out and we are going to buy some new ones but 35s are not cheap. looking at some better riding tires but man the prices are crazy and don't want cause craks by using that stuff.

JDAWG
04-04-2008, 11:36 AM
my wife sprays her tires on her Jeep with that tire foam stuff all the time, she puts it on really heavy and the Jeep has 35 Swampers so the can doesn't last long. the funny thing was i was checking the air pressure and i noticed the tires had what looked like dry rot cracks on the sidewall. i looked on the inside of the tires and no cracks at all, i told her to find something else instead because the tires are almost worn out and we are going to buy some new ones but 35s are not cheap. looking at some better riding tires but man the prices are crazy and don't want cause craks by using that stuff.

I use the special red glitter tire spray so it looks super retarded glittery shiney.

supercrackerbox
04-04-2008, 01:53 PM
Haha, my ex brought that stuff home one day for her Exploder. "Tell me you didn't seriously pay money for that . . ."

Luckily no, she didn't.

rbryant
04-04-2008, 02:03 PM
Armorall will strip the paint off from lbody ash trays. I have had it happen a couple of times.

-Rich

Polygon
04-05-2008, 12:10 AM

Once again, oil. That's what makes them shine. That's why should only apply a very light coat or use something that isn't oil based.