PDA

View Full Version : Bolting up torque converter

Kerry K
03-01-2006, 05:37 PM
In the process of bolting up my engine and tranny and I was wondering if the torque converter will only bolt on one way to the flex plate like a v8 mopar. Gettng ready to fire this thing up. Dont want a 4 year project to fail because of a dumb mistake.

turbovanmanČ
03-01-2006, 05:42 PM
Yes, it will bolt up. Just remember, when installing into the trans, you wiggle it and rotate the converter, it will clunk a few times, should be in aprox 1 inch from bellhousing face. Also, if you look at the flexplate, one bolt hole is narrow so you can tighten that one then all the others will line up. Another trick is to set engine at TDC, set the TC so the mark on the TC is at TDC, this way, you can time the engine, lol! Learned that one the hard way, :(

Kerry K
03-01-2006, 06:00 PM
I thought it would only bolt up one way. I thought I had the timing set right before i set the engine in. Looks like I didn't

Blue Iroc R/T
03-01-2006, 06:14 PM
Another trick; Don't mix the bolts that bolt the flex plate to the crank with the bolts that bolt the flex plate to the torque converter. They are the same size threads, except the heads are THINNER on the bolts for the FP/TC. If you use the thicker ones, after you get the inspection plate and everything buttoned up, you will hear an awful noise when you start it up. They ALMOST clear, but not quite. Learned that one the hard way also! :o
If you do get bit on this one, you can remove the bolts and grind the head down to get the clearance. (rather that pulling the tranny all the way out and exchanging bolts)

Rampage16V
03-16-2006, 11:44 PM
I thought it would only bolt up one way. I thought I had the timing set right before i set the engine in. Looks like I didn't

Yes it will only bolt up one way. You will notice one converter hole in the flex plate that has a flat on both sides of it. Bolt through this hole to the torque converter lug that has the "O" stamped near it on the torque converter.

fleckster
03-18-2006, 05:25 AM
And don't forget to use Loc-Tite!!!

turbovanmanČ
03-18-2006, 12:02 PM
Yes it will only bolt up one way. You will notice one converter hole in the flex plate that has a flat on both sides of it. Bolt through this hole to the torque converter lug that has the "O" stamped near it on the torque converter.

I don't know about that, I have bolted up the TC and realized I had no TDC marks for my timing gun. First TD you learn the hard way, :censored: