PDA

View Full Version : Fuel fittings

Turbo3Iroc
04-01-2008, 01:15 PM
Is there a way to come off the factory fuel lines and go directly to an AN fitting?

iTurbo
04-01-2008, 04:54 PM
Oh man does that sentence bring back bad memories. I had tried to do that with my R/T and I gave up and redid the whole fuel system with 3/8" aluminum line with AN hose and fittings. Thanks to those stupid quick disconnects, I don't think it's possible without using a bunch of adapters. Or you could cut the QD off and put an AN flare on them, but 5AN fittings for 5/16" tube are very hard to find.

Turbo3Iroc
04-02-2008, 12:46 AM
Thanks Jeremy, I checked out tube nuts and sleeves at Summit and they carried them in -5AN. Guess its time to buy a flare tool also. I was hoping to find one of those disconnects to an AN fitting but this is close enough.

iTurbo
04-02-2008, 02:09 PM
Looks like Aeromotive has some QD-to-AN fittings.

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=AEI%2D15117&N=700+400300+323907+115&autoview=sku

Turbo3Iroc
04-02-2008, 02:14 PM
Nice, I was just about to order this: http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=EAR%2D165056ERL&N=700+4294847275+4294841768+115&autoview=sku

It says they are for GM, does Chrysler use the same style?

iTurbo
04-02-2008, 02:17 PM
I forgot about those fittings, but yeah that should work too. On my R/T, I have a modified fuel sending unit with 3/8" tubes going in/out of the tank. I use those fittings with the internal sealing ferrule to adapt the 3/8" tubes to 6AN. They work great, never leaked. I used them because the AN flare tool I bought didn't work great for flaring steel line. Worked good on the aluminum line though.

minigts
04-02-2008, 02:27 PM
Let us know when you get that in a month! :eek: ETA ship date: 4/25/08 That sucks.

Turbo3Iroc
04-02-2008, 02:33 PM
Let us know when you get that in a month! :eek: ETA ship date: 4/25/08 That sucks.

I didn't see that! Thanks for pointing this out, was hoping to have this done in about a week.

I was just looking at that thread Jeremy and got to looking up tube adapters.

Question, on the ones I linked to, do I still need a flare tool or does it flare the tube as the nut is tightened?

iTurbo
04-02-2008, 02:36 PM
No actually they use a brass ferrule inside, similar to how a nylon boost gauge line seals. As you tighten it, the ferrule compresses over the outside of the tube creating a compression seal.

Turbo3Iroc
04-02-2008, 02:42 PM
Ok, I'll go with that then. I was thinking I'd probably have to remove the line to flare it.

I don't see one listed for the return line though.

iTurbo
04-02-2008, 04:08 PM
I can't find the AN-to-tube adapters in 1/4" either. I know Summit, Jegs, Russel, and Earl's make those fittings but the smallest one is the 5/16" from Earl's.

Here is a better picture showing the AN-to-tube adapter:

http://www.jegs.com/i/Earl%27s/361/165056/10002/-1/749418|10603

Turbo3Iroc
04-03-2008, 01:09 AM
I knew the type of fitting once you said it was compression. Just hard to tll by looking at it.

These say they are low pressure but they don't say how low. Maybe it's ok for the return only?
http://www.holley.com/types/Tube-Mate%20Auto%20Fit.asp

EDIT: says 25 psi max, too low for return?

zin
04-03-2008, 01:50 AM
You might give TMR (Torino Moto Racing) in Orange, CA a call, they might be able find/make you something. 714-771-1348, talk to Lloyd if you can, and let him know Mike @ Nitrous Supply sent you... no wait, maybe not. :D

A quick note about AN fittings, the number refers to the OD of the tubing associated with a particular fitting. The graduation is in 1/16ths of an inch, so a -4 will be 4/16, or 1/4".

While I'm at it, Pipe sizes are based on the ID of the pipe, that's why when you look at a 1/4NPT fitting, you're saying to yourself, damn, thats WAY bigger than a 1/4", but if you measure the hole, it'll be 1/4" (or should be anyway).

One last thing about pipe threads, the best method for tightening them is this:

Apply pipe sealer (tape can be OK, but the paste is better, and required on N2O fittings), then hand tighten. Now wrench tighten to 1 1/2 turns. If the piece isn't clocked in the desired position, an additional turn (360 degrees) can be applied to do so. The first 1 1/2 turns will seal the fitting, the 2nd is only used to line-up the piece if it is needed (or won't seal for some reason, likely debris in the threads). Yet another .02 given...

Mike

zin
04-03-2008, 01:53 AM
I knew the type of fitting once you said it was compression. Just hard to tll by looking at it.

These say they are low pressure but they don't say how low. Maybe it's ok for the return only?
http://www.holley.com/types/Tube-Mate%20Auto%20Fit.asp

EDIT: says 25 psi max, too low for return?

These use a piece of rubber as the seal on the tube side, it pinches between the nut and the tube to make the seal, ok for carbs, and might be ok for the return, but a definite no-no for the pressure side. Have I mentioned the fact that I used to run Earl's Race Store One as my previous job? :D

Mike

Turbo3Iroc
04-03-2008, 10:51 AM
Ok, so that's why the low pressure rating. I got to reading about them last night and it said a flare, beaded or grooved so that would put me in the same issue of needing to flare the end.

badandy
04-03-2008, 04:52 PM
These use a piece of rubber as the seal on the tube side, it pinches between the nut and the tube to make the seal, ok for carbs, and might be ok for the return, but a definite no-no for the pressure side. Have I mentioned the fact that I used to run Earl's Race Store One as my previous job? :D

Mike

Piece of rubber? In the Earl's? really? I could have sworn they had a brass ferrule :confused:

I know this has been done many times before by people on the board...and i'm about to attempt it this weekend:o

Cordes? ...aren't these the same fittings you turned me onto?

iTurbo
04-03-2008, 05:30 PM
Yeah, just a brass ferrule. I have two of the 3/8"-6AN version on my own car. 50 psi max....never leaked on me yet...although I usually lower the base fuel pressure to compensate for the +20s.

badandy
04-03-2008, 07:40 PM
Now I don't understand something here. I know that a brass ferrule setup holds more pressure than that!...heck, my oil pressure is more than that at startup everyday! I know it will hold more pressure than that...I think they just rate it low for liabilities sake...other similar brands are rated up to 450 psi.

zin
04-03-2008, 09:10 PM
Piece of rubber? In the Earl's? really? I could have sworn they had a brass ferrule :confused:

I know this has been done many times before by people on the board...and i'm about to attempt it this weekend:o

Cordes? ...aren't these the same fittings you turned me onto?

There are two similar style fittings, one does use a brass olive/ferrule ("Aluminum Tubing Adapters"), the other one (Tube-Mate Auto-Fit) uses the rubber. If it's low pressure, it's rubber. The bummer here is that the Tube-Mate is the only one (as far as I can recall) that goes down to 1/4".

Mike

PS Even the Aluminum Tubing Adapters are only rated at 50PSI max. Which I think is a CYA thing, I've used them at higher pressures.

Turbo3Iroc
04-10-2008, 11:08 PM
You might give TMR (Torino Moto Racing) in Orange, CA a call, they might be able find/make you something. 714-771-1348, talk to Lloyd if you can, and let him know Mike @ Nitrous Supply sent you... no wait, maybe not. :D

A quick note about AN fittings, the number refers to the OD of the tubing associated with a particular fitting. The graduation is in 1/16ths of an inch, so a -4 will be 4/16, or 1/4".

While I'm at it, Pipe sizes are based on the ID of the pipe, that's why when you look at a 1/4NPT fitting, you're saying to yourself, damn, thats WAY bigger than a 1/4", but if you measure the hole, it'll be 1/4" (or should be anyway).

One last thing about pipe threads, the best method for tightening them is this:

Apply pipe sealer (tape can be OK, but the paste is better, and required on N2O fittings), then hand tighten. Now wrench tighten to 1 1/2 turns. If the piece isn't clocked in the desired position, an additional turn (360 degrees) can be applied to do so. The first 1 1/2 turns will seal the fitting, the 2nd is only used to line-up the piece if it is needed (or won't seal for some reason, likely debris in the threads). Yet another .02 given...

Mike

Mike, I want to thank you very much for setting me up with TMR. I should have called them last week instead of trying to flare the ends. Was going to be nearly impossible to do that on the car without pulling the engine the way they have the lines tucked behind the brake line.

Lloyd set me right up and had 4 of the 1/4 to -4AN fittings on hand. Should be here next week.

zin
04-11-2008, 07:27 PM
Mike, I want to thank you very much for setting me up with TMR. I should have called them last week instead of trying to flare the ends. Was going to be nearly impossible to do that on the car without pulling the engine the way they have the lines tucked behind the brake line.

Lloyd set me right up and had 4 of the 1/4 to -4AN fittings on hand. Should be here next week.

No Problem, I know all the guys over there, even used to work with Lloyd, all good people and very knowledgeable. If they don't have it, they can likely come up with a solution (especially Lloyd), or point you to someplace that might be able to do it. Glad to hear its working out.

Mike