PDA

View Full Version : how many of you use the old battery charger and lye to de rust parts??

glht_omni
04-01-2008, 08:42 AM
just wondering how many people use a battery charger and lye for cleaning up rusty brackets? will it strip off paint too?
i set it all up before to clean a few old rusty steel parts and it worked great, i'm just wondering about the paint removal.

*for those who dont know, you setup a tub or bucket with water and a few tablespoons of lye (drain de clogger) you put the positive clamp of the battery charger on the part but with the clamp out of the water and the neg. goes on a sacrificial metal rod that is in the water but the clamp is above water. it will strip the rust off of steel in 24-48 hours.

WickedShelby88
04-03-2008, 01:27 PM
So you've tried this? Sounds like it would work extremely well as its using a chemical and electrical reaction to literally make the iron oxide molecules flee for dear life.

raccoon
04-03-2008, 01:32 PM
now all I need is a tube big enough to fit my whole car into.

omni_840
04-03-2008, 02:55 PM
I've heard of doing that with washing soda, Is it the same stuff as lye?

black86glhs
04-03-2008, 03:16 PM
now all I need is a tube big enough to fit my whole car into.
:lol:
That was good!!

glht_omni
04-03-2008, 03:38 PM
yeah washing soda works but lye works way better, i have tried both.
this does work awesome on rusty parts, i just never tried to do painted parts and i dont have it all setup right now.
my dad restores old john deere tractors and cleans almost everything this way, he uses a 55 gallon drum, a 5 gal bucket and a little blue plastic swimming pool for various size parts.

my buddy brought over his steel filler tube for the gas tank on a 63 pontiac, the inside of it looked like the rack on a 10 year old bbq grille, we put it in and it got the out side spot less in less than 24 hours but the inside of the tube was still nasty so we stuck the steel rod inside of the tube with a couple rubber bushings around it so it would touch the tube walls and it sucked the nasty grime off the walls and stuck it to the sacrificial rod. looks new now and matches the new gas tank.