PDA

View Full Version : couple of t3 questions

glht_omni
03-31-2008, 10:54 PM
what is the minimum allowance for the head thickness, i am getting mine milled and am curious.

who is using the fidanza short throw shifter and whats your opinions on it?

what should i do with the stock pcv system until i get a catch can?

Speedeuphoria
03-31-2008, 11:05 PM
what is the minimum allowance for the head thickness, i am getting mine milled and am curious.

who has the fidanza short throw shifter and whats your opinions on it?

what should i do with the stock pcv system until i get a catch can?

I think you need to sell it to me and forget about it, :lol:

J/K
i cant afford it anyway but I'm thinking about selling my Grand AM and getting another Spirit(3.0) or a Stratus for a DD(need a 5spd either way)

normally i would mill it the minimum necessary to make it flat

glht_omni
03-31-2008, 11:24 PM
i'll trade you straight up instead, lol.
oh yeah, if i can get awy with .009" like he said, i will be happy, i'm just wondering what thickness it becomes scrap? also would .015" off it change much if using a stock thickness gasket?

also is there anything i should put on the valve cover gaskets to treat them and make them last longer, i know that back one heats up.

Turbo3Iroc
04-01-2008, 01:29 PM
.009 is a lot to take off the head. If you go with the Cometic HG you can go with the thicker .074 gasket to compensate. It's .010 over stock. Has the head been cut already?

EDIT: It's best to stay as close to stock as possible for proper cam timing.

turbovanmanČ
04-01-2008, 01:39 PM
.009 is a lot to take off the head. If you go with the Cometic HG you can go with the thicker .074 gasket to compensate. It's .010 over stock. Has the head been cut already?

EDIT: It's best to stay as close to stock as possible for proper cam timing.

Yep and yep but he should be running adjustable sprockets anyhow, :amen: :clap:

I am running the stock seperator hooked up to the intake tube for the vapours, seemed to work just fine.

Turbo3Iroc
04-01-2008, 01:43 PM
Adj sprockets won't help if your belt is too long from milling too much off the head or deck.

turbovanmanČ
04-01-2008, 01:45 PM
Adj sprockets won't help if your belt is too long from milling too much off the head or deck.

It should, the tensioner will take up the slack and then you adjust the difference in timing thru the sprockets. If you remove enough from the head and block that you can't adjust the slack then your going to have compression issues, :p

glht_omni
04-01-2008, 02:05 PM
well i just found out that it is now at 5.006" so it was milled .015" already:mad:
so now it is going to between 4.996 and 4.997":mad: well i guess i'll be getting the thicker gasket.

can you run a mls with head bolts or do i have to have head studs?

thanks for the pcv tip simon.

Turbo224
04-01-2008, 02:14 PM
You can run the mls with head bolts, but it's kind of pointless. You may as well add the arp head studs. As for the pcv, leave it stock untill it gives you problems, then you can worry about a catchcan. And the short throw shifter is a good mod. I put one in my R/T with a new set of booger bushings and it is night and day difference in shifting feel. Takes a but to get used to, but in the end you will like it a lot more.

glht_omni
04-01-2008, 02:23 PM
well i have head bolts that i cant sell for close to what they cost so i figured i would use them for now untill i pull the head to ship to wallace this winter. if i had the cash to splurge i wouldnt even think about using the headbolts.

my biggest issue right now is my rad, its split all down the seam and the first rad shop said it cant be repaired without measuring and seeing if he can get a core and gasket to put my tanks back on.

are you using the fidanza shifter?

Turbo3Iroc
04-02-2008, 12:32 AM
It should, the tensioner will take up the slack and then you adjust the difference in timing thru the sprockets. If you remove enough from the head and block that you can't adjust the slack then your going to have compression issues, :p

That was explained to me by a reputable member in the community with a lot more experience on these engines than I have. But after thinking about it you're right.

Maybe it was before adj spockets were common. It's been awhile.

turbovanmanČ
04-02-2008, 02:45 AM
That was explained to me by a reputable member in the community with a lot more experience on these engines than I have. But after thinking about it you're right.

Maybe it was before adj spockets were common. It's been awhile.

That is correct, if you don't have adjustable cam sprocket(s), the cam timing goes way out of whack or if too much is milled off, its possible the tensioner can't take out enough slack, but I think the TIII has alot of room to play with. :clap:

Turbo224
04-02-2008, 02:52 AM
well i have head bolts that i cant sell for close to what they cost so i figured i would use them for now untill i pull the head to ship to wallace this winter. if i had the cash to splurge i wouldnt even think about using the headbolts.

my biggest issue right now is my rad, its split all down the seam and the first rad shop said it cant be repaired without measuring and seeing if he can get a core and gasket to put my tanks back on.

are you using the fidanza shifter?

Well, if you are taking the head off again this winter, go ahead and use em. But think of it this way, you could sell them right now brand new and make a couple bucks off them, or you could use them and throw them away in the winter and make no money off them. Either way you are going to have to buy studs eventually. Anyways, ignore my stupid comments. :D As for the shifter, I am not actually sure if it is the fidenza or the B&M, it came on a car that I bought. I doubt that the two are any different.

turbovanmanČ
04-02-2008, 03:05 AM
My R/T has a short throw shifter and it rocks, I don't know what brand it is as it came with the car, :thumb:

TurboSedan
04-02-2008, 04:40 AM
the previous owner of my R/T cut the shifter down and installed a cheesy ricer shifter handle (chrome ball with LEDs lol). i like how it feels but i haven't actually driven the car yet. btw i've heard Jackson can make a nice short throw shifter although i'm not sure how it differs from the other aftermarket ones available. definately something i plan on doing as i want a real short throw shifter and the stock shifter handle.

--------------------------
Joshua Mitchell
'91 Dodge SPiRiT R/T
'98 Buick Regal GS

glht_omni
04-02-2008, 10:01 AM
yeah, i found the thread about his shifters, he has a video on it too. after reading and seeing his design, there is no way a b&m or fidanza can be similiar, he adds length under the ball and makes the base taller to clear the new length, obviously the 2 name brands arent doing the same thing because they dont come with a base.

turbovanmanČ
04-02-2008, 12:57 PM
Mines not cut down or botched up, it was a bolt on deal, and if memory serves, the shifter moves like an inch or so to engage the gears, :thumb:

glht_omni
04-02-2008, 01:18 PM
bolt on as in a base included or just the shaft? is it the 1st gen neon shifter?

turbovanmanČ
04-02-2008, 01:23 PM
bolt on as in a base included or just the shaft? is it the 1st gen neon shifter?

Not sure, when I get energetic, I'll go look at it, :o

glht_omni
04-26-2008, 11:20 PM
well got it all cleaned, pressure checked, milled and finished. also got all the bolt ons painted and ready. i plan to get the inserts painted red on the valley cover and when i get the fmic i am going with the same metallic grey on the pipes and red silicone couplers.

Turbo224
04-26-2008, 11:28 PM
Looks good. Although I am having a hard time picturing what your color scheme is going to look like.

glht_omni
04-26-2008, 11:36 PM
its a red car i want to go with red on the 2 inserts of the valley cover, i have magnecores, soon i will will have a xspower (spearco knock off) same side ic with grey pipes and red silicone couplers and grey srt wheels.

i'll post pics of it all together minus the hard pipes and ic in a few days.

Turbo3Iroc
04-27-2008, 12:00 AM
I think it looks good as you have it there Josh but the intake would look pretty good in that grey also. I agree the red engine on a red car is too much red though my motor is still red haha.

glht_omni
04-27-2008, 12:48 PM
i thought about going grey on that too and painting the block red this winter. i was seeing to much red too once i cleaned everything up!

Turbo3Iroc
04-27-2008, 02:41 PM
Doesn't really matter what color you paint the block since you can see so little of it. I didn't even paint mine but that was more of a time issue than anything.

glht_omni
04-27-2008, 04:37 PM
i deleted the ac, emissions and abs so the engine bay is a little more open.
i am thinking maybe i should have painted the intake grey and the fuel rail red, the trans will definetly get painted grey this winter.
i just cant wait to drive this beast, i have been without boost for 14 months and there are a lot of kids out here that need to have their "fast" cars put in there place, courtesy of a clean r/t!