PDA

View Full Version : Cheap Brake upgrade for '05 Ram 1500?

fleckster
03-31-2008, 02:56 AM
The brakes on my Ram are fine but with the towing I do with my turbo Mopars, the trailer doesn't seem to be doing enough of the stopping using its brakes and I seem to be warping the ones on the truck. I had them turned once and now they are warped again. I will be getting the trailer brakes improved in the future too but I was wondering what if anything people might recommend for my truck. I was thinking along the lines of turning the rotors again (if they can be) to get them back to flat (or replace if they can't be turned again) and then go with something like the Satisfied Pro Series HD Fleet. What is a good pad for towing? As stated, it stops fine but the heat is warping the rotors and now even driving without the trailer has a bad pulse when stopping.

black86glhs
03-31-2008, 03:38 AM
John....even if they had enough to be turned again, it would be a waste. Remember, the thinner they get, the easier they warp. Sorry I don't have an improvement for ya... other than a heavy piece of steel and a large chain(good anchor). :drum:

Turbo3Iroc
03-31-2008, 12:02 PM
John, my tow dolly does not have brakes so I am very hard on mine and I haven't warped a rotor yet. I'd look more into your trailer first.
Last year I changed to some Adaptave One pads I got from Napa. They seem to stop better than the stock ones.

Blue Iroc R/T
03-31-2008, 12:54 PM
John,
I have a 02 Dakota Quad 4x4 and I think the brakes on the Dak's are about as bad as they get. I replace pads at 18K, the rotors were warped a little but I wanted to replace with Cryo treated rotors but wasn't fixed at the time to make the investment, so I only replace the pads. That helped for a while, the I finally replaced the rotors and pads, but still couldn't afford the Cryo that I wanted). I believe the rotors and pads were Wagner's. They have worked out fantastic. Brakes are the best that they have EVER been.
Another thing that I did this winter that I expect to help a lot in towing is, I added Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs. With yours being the 1500, you may not have the sagging problems that I have with the DQC. But here is what I put on mine: http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=FIP%2D2286&N=700+400136+4294908110+4294907804+4294846476+115&autoview=sku
To. me, Keep the load level will help a lot in the braking also. I haven't towed anything since I installed the air springs, so I can't elaborate on that much yet.

fleckster
04-01-2008, 11:27 PM
Thanks for the input, Ralph! My Ram doesn't squat too bad though being a short bed /regular cab. I don't have issues pulling the trailer. I just hate that the trailer brakes aren't doing enough and causing the truck's brakes to have to do more causing the warping. I will be upgrading the trailer as sson as I can with brakes on both axles. I've found places on line selling the complete assemblies for around $55 so I think that will definately help and is cheap enough. I've decided on going with the Hawk Truck/SUV pads front and rear. I'm going to try and turn them (front again and rear for the 1st time). The cost is minimal and I figure I can try upgraded rotors next if they still warp again. According to info on Hawk's website they are supposed to also extend rotor life so we'll see. I ordered from Tire Rack as Summit didn't have the rears in stock and estimated they wouldn't have them for at least another three weeks.

Looks like I'll have a bunch of brake work to do in the coming weeks!

Thanks for everyone's suggestions and advice. I plan on updating after the work is done and let you know how it turned out.