PDA

View Full Version : SRT Clutch for Turbododges?

TurbododgePirate
03-01-2006, 12:44 PM
Okay, while researching my 2.4/ nvt 350 swap into my shelby charger, I came upon something interesting.......

Some of you may know that the SRT 4 clutch can hold up to a pretty good amount of abuse.... but what does that have to do with OUR cars?

Well, for those of you that don't know: The SRT4 clutch is a MODULAR design. What that means is the Pressure plate, flywheel, and clutch disc all come as one pre assembled piece... it almost looks like a torque converter. And, just like a torque converter, it bolts up to a flexplate already bolted to the motor.

I checked a spare 413 flexplate and my SRT4 SACHS modular clutch, and the flexplate bolt holes line up nice.

But is it the right size? Well, another td'er gave me the specs...

Disc Dia. (in):
9 1/16
Spline Dia. (in):
15/16
No. of Teeth:

So, for a 15/16 spline TD tranny, it SHOULD work.

Pro's:

Inexpensive
Reliable
Strong
Easy to install (No problems aligning the splines, you install it before you put the tranny in)

So, WHat do you guys think?

altered7151
03-01-2006, 01:59 PM
So basically you're saying it will only work on the 91+ 568/523 tranny right?

WVRampage
03-02-2006, 12:18 AM
Whats a SRT4 clutch cost I have a flexplate and all the hardware for the auto(well maby several sets of parts for the auto) Sounds like a good idea and strong.

WVRampage
03-02-2006, 12:27 PM
Another thing that I was thinking is the 413 flexplate and SRT clutch would be lighter than a regular flywheel clutch combination.

Alberta_Daytona
03-02-2006, 01:11 PM
Isnt the srt clutch hydraulic?
does it matter? I dont know.

WVRampage
03-02-2006, 01:13 PM
Isnt the srt clutch hydraulic?
does it matter? I dont know.
It wouldnt matter

TurboGLH
03-02-2006, 01:16 PM
Stock srt clutches start giving out around the 300hp level. But that also depends on how you drive them. More than a couple of guys have done stage 3's on a stock clutch and made it last for a while, but after a bit the extra hp and torque gets the best of them. So they would be a pretty good upgrade for a moderate power TD, especialy in a lighter chassis. I know that carlos on TD used an srt clutch to start with when he did his 2.4 swap, and he used a 568. He switched it out for a stronger clutch later on, but it did fit and work.

3Bar_Mopar
03-02-2006, 01:18 PM
Doesn't this open the possibility of using aftermarket SRT "lightweight" flexplate/flywheel in a A413 equipped turbo Dodge? I'd like the benefit of faster revs and decreased rotational mass on the engine!:thumb:

Rampage16V
03-16-2006, 11:33 PM
Doesn't this open the possibility of using aftermarket SRT "lightweight" flexplate/flywheel in a A413 equipped turbo Dodge? I'd like the benefit of faster revs and decreased rotational mass on the engine!:thumb:

no its the same flex plate as a 413

inmyshadow
03-17-2006, 09:36 AM
I don't see the savings.

Looking at SRT4 clutch prices from forward motion. Mininum price for an aftermarket clutch is 600 bucks. The 2.2/2.5 Clutches are all under 500 bucks.

If you look at the lightweight SRT4 clutches, thats over 700 bucks. Depending on which clutch you chose for A 2.x. It is still cheaper to buy a lightened flywheel plus clutch.

You can get a stock OEM TIII clutch for less then 150. Who much is a stock srt4 clutch? I know form experience, my TIII clutch holds upto 22lbs of boost pulling a car of 3300lbs.

Unless the weight savings is enmorous, it isn't worth it.

WVRampage
03-17-2006, 09:39 AM
but is you can get a clutch from a guy or gal doing a bunch of upgrades and there clutch is still good you could get it real cheap.

TurboGLH
03-17-2006, 11:30 AM
I don't see the savings.

Looking at SRT4 clutch prices from forward motion. Mininum price for an aftermarket clutch is 600 bucks. The 2.2/2.5 Clutches are all under 500 bucks.

If you look at the lightweight SRT4 clutches, thats over 700 bucks. Depending on which clutch you chose for A 2.x. It is still cheaper to buy a lightened flywheel plus clutch.

You can get a stock OEM TIII clutch for less then 150. Who much is a stock srt4 clutch? I know form experience, my TIII clutch holds upto 22lbs of boost pulling a car of 3300lbs.

Unless the weight savings is enmorous, it isn't worth it.

You'll notice that I mentioned STOCK srt clutch, and I did so for just the reasons you listed. A stock clutch is a reasonable priced assembly that will hold decent power, and while I'd probably not run one unless I had it laying around, the question was still asked and the correct answer given. I would doubt very much that there is much a a weight savings, if any, since the flywheel isn't removed but instead integrated into the clutch package. As far as how much boost will it hold, it comes down more to power. Stock clutch it good to about 300hp/300ft-lbs after that they start slipping.

inmyshadow
03-17-2006, 03:47 PM
I was think today, this is actually some good news.

I've been thinking of doing a 2.5V6 into a 3.0 shadow for a few years now. Hang up was finding a clutch and cheap motors by the dozen. Now that the favorite junkyard sells 2.5V6s for less then 200 bucks. Using a SRT4 modular clutch is all I need.

Later