PDA

View Full Version : Lock mechanisms for L bodies/Charger

minigts
03-27-2008, 01:16 PM
Not sure if there is a universal part out there which will work for our cars, but I'm just about fed up with the worn out mechanism on my doors. I took it apart last night trying to figure out why it takes SO much effort when lifting the handle to get the latch to work. It is plain to see that the rivets holding them in place are loosening up.

Is there a replacement or something that can be done to correct this? Am I just better off finding a newer version of my car and removing those?

Any suggestions?

omnigoestohell
03-28-2008, 03:36 PM
Try cleaning (blasting then re-lubing) your door latch mechanisms, then readjust the latch and make sure the handle is straight. If that doesn't work be sure the door hinge mounting points aren't bent. Just my 2 cents from having replaced almost everything on my GLH. The GLHS doors still open fine..

minigts
03-31-2008, 09:36 PM
I tried this and it doesn't help much. It did help to all the stuff to move a little more freely, but everything is still somewhat tough to use. Does anyone know if a new vehicle mechanism works, like a 90's model car? I mean, in essence all will use levers to open the door, right? So just need to "engineer" it to work and have something that has three bolt/screws to hold it in place and has the same mounting setup. I guess I'll just build one....

cordes
03-31-2008, 10:03 PM
Have you adjusted the arm that actuates the lock? I posted up about this in here a while back. Heck, it was almost two years ago now I think. Anyway, someone gave a good rundown of how to make your doors open really nicely. If you follow that and still don't get the results you are looking for, I would go to the yard and get the pieces you think you will need off of another L-body with functional doors.

ETA: Here is the thread...

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3800

minigts
03-31-2008, 10:13 PM
Well I did make a small adjustment to the one Allen screw that is adjustable. It helped some, but I left it at that in fear I would only make it worse if I adjusted any more. However, every piece that is a lever on the device is loose and since everything is pressed together, it is almost impossible to do anything to adjust them. If I had the time I would seriously consider remaking them with pieces that are put together with studs and what not, but I was hoping someone had either thought of a solution or found a suitable replacement.

But thanks for the info Cordes, you're always good for useful information or incredibly hilarious stories. :D Rollus Pollus is all I have to say.