PDA

View Full Version : Question...

Frank
03-27-2008, 11:53 AM
I might have access to a ported SRT-4 head and just wanted to ensure that they are compatable with a '01 Stratus 2.4L block. I am going to be putting that motor int he daytona with pistons and the works.

Thanks!

Speedeuphoria
03-27-2008, 01:05 PM
From the Knowledge center article:

Use of a 2002+ head on a pre-2001 block will require either welding and red-drilling of front oil drain on the cylinder head. OR installing of freeze plugs to the head and the block on the front oil drain to eliminate the passage. A diesel shop will have them. Early Cummins turbo freeze plugs for the head.

But, 01 is the iffy year as it was a mid to late '01 change. The best thing to do is look at the oil passage on the block/head you have as it could be the older or newer shape.

Another thing to consider is the SRT4 head has smaller exhaust valves then the older heads, but I'm not sure when that changed exactly. The '95-'99 heads have basically +2mm larger exhaust valves then the SRT4 head, although they are not special material like the SRT4 exhaust valves. But I haven't seen any issues using stock 2.0 valves, and most SRT4's that use larger valves just use stainless valves which are also available for the older heads. DCR states that larger valves do wonders for the heads(from spool up to tope end), but as the SRT4 head outflows the earlier head, even using smaller valves, its a toss up. Obviously the SRT4 head using larger valves would be best, but then again if when porting i think they will even out.

Another thing is the older heads use single groove valves and the newer ones use triple groove valves(like I said I'm not sure when the valve size changed). Also reading info from DCR says that the retainers are specific to the single or triple groove valves/keepers.

Hey Frank I have some free time and would like to update the KC article and maybe add some more pics and more/better info. I don't know what the easiest way to do it would be? Just copy/past it then add info and resubmit it or what? LMK

Frank
03-27-2008, 02:24 PM
Thanks for the answer. Sounds like I need to get busy and pull that head.

For the KC, you should have the ability to edit them now... if you have questions, it should now be obvious where to ask. ;)

Speedeuphoria
03-27-2008, 03:32 PM
For the KC, you should have the ability to edit them now... if you have questions, it should now be obvious where to ask. ;)

I'm trying to make the format of it better but its kind of hard to do since there are so many little quirks, anyway I think I will post it on the site to see if others like the new format better than the old one before editing/posting it permanently

BadAssPerformance
03-27-2008, 07:40 PM
So an '01 PT Turbo head will be a direct bolt-on to the Stratus 2.4L blocK?

Speedeuphoria
03-28-2008, 01:44 AM
So an '01 PT Turbo head will be a direct bolt-on to the Stratus 2.4L blocK?

Like I said '01 is the iffy year when things changed, so you would have to know if its the early '01 or the late '01, your block is older right?

Ok I just read up on things and someone said 01 PT is the same as the older blocks and has the small oil hole, but like I said many say they changed late 01 and some say 02, so YRMV

BadAssPerformance
04-16-2008, 08:45 PM
Mine is a '97 block... so what is different? Easily modifyable?

Speedeuphoria
04-20-2008, 03:23 AM
If you look at the pic of that SRT4 head you were interested on here for sale, you will see that the oil passage it not round, its a funny oval shape. The older blocks and heads its just a round hole, thats the difference. There is some info in the 2.4 swap KC article

BadAssPerformance
04-20-2008, 09:26 AM
I forgot to post back... Martin sent me a couple pics of the head and I see that now. Any way to adapt it? There are a few other differences, no EGR and the intake bolt patterns is different too. I need a couple more pics of the SRT head and I can make more pics like this for a KC article.