PDA

View Full Version : Clutch question using td tranny on 2.4

TurbododgePirate
02-28-2006, 07:03 PM
Okay, my question is this:

I know that a SRT4 modular clutch will bolt up to a 413 flywheel. Do the splines match to a 523-568? Large or small spline?

I am thinking this because the SRT4 clutches obviously can handle quite a bit stock, and they aren't very expensive. Maybe this would be a good choice for people who need a good inexpensive clutch for their TD, just add a 413 flexplate and a srt modular clutch and new TOB.

Can anyone tell me if this would work??~~Heath

tryingbe
02-28-2006, 09:38 PM
413?

That's an auto tranny and it means it uses flexplate.

You can't bolt a clutch, and pressure plate to a flexplate.

WVRampage
02-28-2006, 10:25 PM
413?

That's an auto tranny and it means it uses flexplate.

You can't bolt a clutch, and pressure plate to a flexplate.

On the newer neons the clutch, pressure plate comes pre assembled and uses 4 bolts to hold the clutch pack to the flex plate.

tryingbe
03-01-2006, 01:56 AM
WVRampage, are you sure you're talking about flexplate, not flywheel?

The only same fuction flexplate and flywheel has is to allow the starter to start the engine. Other than that, they're very different.

WVRampage
03-01-2006, 03:48 AM
WVRampage, are you sure you're talking about flexplate, not flywheel?

The only same fuction flexplate and flywheel has is to allow the starter to start the engine. Other than that, they're very different.

yes the manual neon and auto neon use the same flexplate and the clutch bolts to the flexplate just like a tourqe converter just wondering if the spines will work on the TD trans then you could use the srt clutch in a 2.2 2.5 aplication and they are cheap, as mentioned earlyer the srt clutch will bolt to a 413 flexplate.

tryingbe
03-01-2006, 09:41 AM
http://www.clutchcityonline.com/standard.htm

According to here There is a 1/16 inch different in Disc Diameteter. Spline Diameter is the same, numbers of teeth is the same.

Disc Dia. (in):
9 1/16
Spline Dia. (in):
15/16
No. of Teeth:

TurbododgePirate
03-01-2006, 10:48 AM
Tryingbe

As Luke said, the neons from about 96 forward went to a new design of clutch called a modular clutch. In this system the clutch, flywheel, and pressure plate come already together in what looks like a torque converter. The Modular clutch is installed in the manual tranny, then the tranny is bolted up to the motor via a flexplate.

They did this so that all the motors auto or manual could be manufactured with a flexplate, and you could easily bolt up the auto, or manual tranny. In addition, no problems aligning the splines as you install the tranny, you just slip on the clutch like you would a torque converter.

From your info, it looks like a real possibility!!

~~Heath

WVRampage
03-01-2006, 12:28 PM
Well I wonder how much abuse it could take.

mcsvt
03-01-2006, 12:40 PM
Pirate you got me thinking again. But the latest developement with my tranny is that I might just replace it and might be going 568 large spline... So now the splines won't match up and I can't try it out.

TurbododgePirate
03-01-2006, 03:13 PM
Is the large spline 15/16" ??

mcsvt
03-01-2006, 10:59 PM
Found this on that other site, posted by none other then Wink.

15/16" is the Large unit with a 17 spline shaft. 13/16" is the small unit with 18 spline shaft.