PDA

View Full Version : GLHT exhaust muffler location: Front or Rear?

Clay
03-26-2008, 11:19 AM
Im planning to finally put my TU 3" mandrel exhaust on the GLHT this weekend.

Where to put the muffler? In the "normal" location, ie right after the DP at the front of the exhaust? OR in the rear right before the exit of the car??

MiniMopar
03-26-2008, 11:24 AM
Which muffler? Theoretically it should be more effective in the cat location after the DP, but you are somewhat limited by space. I have a round UltraFlo there on my CSX and it is a tight fit and hangs down more than I'd like. If it's an oval it will fit better in the stock muffler location at the back.

http://www.knizefamily.net/russ/auto/csx/exhaust-ultraflo-sm.jpg (http://www.knizefamily.net/russ/auto/csx/history.html#2006-09-19)

88_pacifica
03-26-2008, 11:24 AM
this is the "drag car" right?

Marcus86GLHS
03-26-2008, 11:27 AM
best place is as close to the exit as possible.

Clay
03-26-2008, 11:35 AM
this is the "drag car" right?

yeah, if you want to call it that ;) I want to drive the thing more but that open 3" DP gets on my nerves!

Clay
03-26-2008, 11:47 AM
Which muffler?

4" round Magnaflow

turbovanmanČ
03-26-2008, 01:52 PM
From what I've read, they say as far back as possible as the closer it is to the front, the more of a restriction it is due to the sound and pressure waves.

So I guess if you want it quieter, run it up front.

BadAssPerformance
03-26-2008, 01:57 PM
I like stock stuff... so I say back by the bumper in the stock location :thumb:

Speedeuphoria
03-26-2008, 02:08 PM
I've got 2 mufflers and its still loud, but the one on the end doesn't do much(well neither seem to do a whole lot, but it helps because opening the cutout is much louder).

I went with 5" round Borla where the cat was and thats as large as would fit in the tunnel and not hang below the frame rails on my Spirit.

Supposedly a larger diam while keeping the pipe size the same will be quieter.

I would put the 4" where the cat goes because it fits and should sound OK, then you can always add another later if needed using oval or round.

MiniMopar
03-26-2008, 02:40 PM
A longer tail pipe generally increases the effect of the muffler, though as pointed out that may come at the slight expense of power. I don't know if that is really true for these straight-throughs, though.

The CSX is frickin' loud with the UltraFlo at the DP and the Super Turbo at the back, but I think that is due to the design of the latter. It is intended for use under the car to split a single 3" into a pair of 2.5". This is for twin tail pipe applications, not for the dual angled stock tips I was trying to reproduce.

http://www.knizefamily.net/russ/auto/csx/exhaust-tailpipes-sm.jpg

GLHNSLHT2
03-26-2008, 06:55 PM
At the back. My understanding is that the restriction is less because the exhaust has cooled off quite a bit by then. And the bends should help cancel out some of the noise so it should work better in that regard.

88_pacifica
03-26-2008, 10:38 PM
personally, I would run it to the bumper and if you want to drive it on the street, you can add a dual chamber or traditional muffler with the s-shaped internals for those "roadtrips." IIRC I think they make some that are easy to disconnect at the track and slide back on for the ride home...

MiniMopar
03-26-2008, 10:44 PM
There's the good old Warlock. S-path muffler with a cutout.

cordes
03-26-2008, 10:47 PM
I would run it at the back just so the police can see it when you are pulled over for your car being to loud. Seriously.

Clay
03-26-2008, 10:47 PM
I eventually plan to run an electric cutout, and I already have all the exhaust stuff. So it looks like the muffler goes to the rear!

risen
03-26-2008, 11:29 PM
Not that it matters on a drag car, but my glht w/ 3in will tag the exhaust pipe with the center of the rear axle on a hard bump and it's tucked up pretty tight to the body. Perhaps it's the old suspension, but I'm not sure it could be totally gotten rid of. It's got the cheap-o oval walker out by the bumper from FWDP. Noise wasn't the primary concern, just wanted something to take the edge off.