PDA

View Full Version : Clutch Replacement - A520

CletusJones
02-28-2006, 06:41 PM
I'm going to be doing some work on my 87 'Tona (2.5TBI) and figured with 125k on the factory clutch it might be time for a replacement. How big of a job is it? I've never done a FWD clutch before so I wouldn't know where to begin. I have the FSM for the car though and have done a few clutches in the past.

The car would be on jackstands in a garage but have access to a lift if the occasion calls for it.

Tips, tricks, recommendations?

edit: I'm planning on putting a turbo motor in the car next winter but not replacing the trans. The 520 is pretty stout, right?

GLHSKEN
02-28-2006, 07:32 PM
The 520 can handle it.

Clutch is not a bad job. If doing it alone, I use a hoist to lift the trans up so I can mate it.

Take the shift cable bracket with the sahifers still attached off... Easier install.

The output shaft flange 4 bolts remove them and the housing.. Makes everything much easier.

tryingbe
03-01-2006, 01:44 AM
First, I'd replace all three seals on the tranny. The input shaft seals, and the drive shaft seals. You can get them from napa for under $20. You do NOT want to do this job twice because the tranny seal goes 4 months from now. While you're at it, replace the rear main seal as well. You don't have to do them, but it's cheap insurance that you won't have to do them again. I made the mistake of not replacing the input seal on a used tranny and I had to pull that tranny out twice. :(

Here's how I change it last friday by myself without help. I removed all air box, hoses etc. Jack up the car, removed the half shafts. Unbolt all the bolts except for the top two large bolts. Take the starter out of the hole. Disconnect the shifter cables, and unbolt the shifter cable BRACKET *don't take the shift cables out of the brakcet*. Unbolt the rear bobble shock. Then, I juse the engine hoist to hold up the the tranny. unbolt the front mount bolt and nut, but don't take the mount out. Then, unbolt the tranny bolt from the body, lower the hoist a little and bolt the tranny mount from the tranny. Lower the hoist a little and the whole tranny should slide out nice and easy.

Get the flywheel to resurface and the install is the reverse. Make sure you align the clutch so the input shaft will go in there easier.

CletusJones
03-01-2006, 11:15 AM
Thanks for the tips guys! What kind of time investment am I looking at here? Is this something that I should budget all day for?

mcsvt
03-01-2006, 11:25 AM
Since it is your first one, give yourself a good part of the day. There are many people on here that can do them very quickly, but thats because they have done a ton. I am about to do my first as well and plan on starting early in the morning just incase something comes up.

Good luck, :thumb:

CletusJones
03-01-2006, 11:47 AM
Cool. Can you post your experience after you're done? I'll probably be tackling this next weekend.

mcsvt
03-01-2006, 11:57 AM
Regretfully, I am waiting to pick up a new trans. Looks like my current one has developed some issues. I have a line on a large spline 568, so it looks like I will be converting to that as well.

CletusJones
03-01-2006, 12:22 PM
Either way anything you can give me would be beneficial since you've got a daytona as well. good luck with your swap

tryingbe
03-01-2006, 02:27 PM
Thanks for the tips guys! What kind of time investment am I looking at here? Is this something that I should budget all day for?

I'd budget two days and a spare car.

Don't forget to resurface the flywheel.

CletusJones
03-01-2006, 03:21 PM
I'd budget two days and a spare car.

Don't forget to resurface the flywheel.
The daytona is my spare vehicle so that's not an issue.

I'd forgotten about that. Would I have to go to a machine shop for that? I've never had to replace a clutch and not installed a lightned flywheel at the same time before so I don't know.

tryingbe
03-01-2006, 04:50 PM
Machine shop, napa, carquest...

Just call around and see who does it and who open on Saturday and what the turn around time is.

CletusJones
03-20-2006, 04:12 PM
I called around and managed to find a clutch kit and flywheel for about $150. It's $40 for a new turbo flywheel and $70 to get the one that's in my car resurface so it's a simple choice.

Can I swap to a turbo flywheel/clutch without changing anything else? The parts guy says he only carrys the turbo flywheel and since it's cheaper than a resurface I'd like to just swap since the clutch prices are the same. Plus, isn't the turbo piece a bit larger? It'd make it easier down the road when I do the turbo motor swap too.

Thanks.

tryingbe
03-20-2006, 05:26 PM
Turbo flywheel/clutch is a direct swap.

http://www.thedodgegarage.com/trans_guide.html

I would change the tranny input shaft seal too. It cost around $8 and it beats having to take out the tranny twice.

CletusJones
03-20-2006, 05:50 PM
Sweet, that's what I thought but I wanted to make sure before I spent the cash.

How many bolts hold the flywheel on? 6 or 8? Can they be reused?

tryingbe
03-20-2006, 10:56 PM
Accord to the link I gave you....

Go read it yourself.

Yes, you can re-use the bolt. I'd wire wheel them and use threadlock. You don't want them to come off.

CletusJones
03-21-2006, 11:54 AM
Sorry, I missed that in the link. Good to know I can reuse the bolts though. Thanks again.