PDA

View Full Version : Electronics: Turbo l-body wiring harness

1984rampage
03-25-2008, 08:41 PM
Im converting my rampage to turbo and need a known engine wiring harness. It needs all of the relays etc. Im also looking for a complete dash/body harness. If anyone has one please let me know.

Thanks

rbryant
03-26-2008, 11:49 AM
What year electronics do you want to run? What timeframe? I have an 89 SMEC harness in my GLHS and will probably be converting to Megasquirt over the next couple of months.

-Rich

1984rampage
03-26-2008, 01:29 PM
Well Ive been debating between keeping it logged/meth injection or T2/intercooled. But please tell me more about the harness. What kind of dash harness are you using?

Thanks

Juggy
03-27-2008, 02:06 PM
it runs off the 85-87 turbo L body dash harness.....

Im running one myself, just installed it yeseterday and it looks great! 89 SMEC converted (on the stock 40 pin L body bulkhead dash connector), direct bolt in......just waiting on motor/trans install.....

rbryant
03-27-2008, 03:27 PM
Well Ive been debating between keeping it logged/meth injection or T2/intercooled. But please tell me more about the harness. What kind of dash harness are you using?

Thanks

Don't bother with the log setup. The T2 or even T1 without an intercooler is better since the log manifold sucks (and not just because it is suck through).

I need to see if I am going to go with megasquirt or not so I am a little hesitent to really sell the harness but I might in a few months if the price is right. It is an 89 SMEC harness converted to connect to the 87 bulkhead. It is like the S60 only better since it has all of the wiring for the whole engine and other things like a 4 wire 02.

Juggy has one that i made. I made another one to run the car but might not need it later on. It is a lot of work to make sure all of the wires are perfect on these things when starting with an old wiring harness so I don't want to sell it until I know I don't need it. So it is all about timeframe.

-Rich

omni_840
03-27-2008, 03:55 PM
Sorry to hijack this thread, but do you guys have any good write-ups on how to do this or how you did it? I have a complete 89 T1 smec and a complete 86 omni glh harness. Thanks in advance.

1984rampage
03-27-2008, 04:07 PM
Bump, still looking for 85/86 l-body harness

minigts
03-27-2008, 05:11 PM
Sorry to hijack this thread, but do you guys have any good write-ups on how to do this or how you did it? I have a complete 89 T1 smec and a complete 86 omni glh harness. Thanks in advance.

There aren't any good write ups, but just ask around when you start. If you need any help, PM or give me a call. PM for the number though, so just PM me. :D

And Rampage, you might just want to start looking for a TII harness out of a Shadow or something. If you are looking to go TII, there weren't too many of the TII Chargers if I am not mistaken. It's a bit daunting to start the task with a non-L body harness, but fun after you see how many useless wires there are you end up removing, like ABS sensor wires, ambient temp wires, etc.

1984rampage
03-27-2008, 07:22 PM
Im gonna rebuild the T1 engine I have and put that in. When I upgrade my shelby charger (T2 intercooled) to a 2 piece and bigger turbo, then Ill convert the rampage to T2 using the old manifolds. Plus the T1-T2 conversion is super easy.

1984rampage
03-28-2008, 08:36 AM
BUMP!, Need this soon. Also looking for an interior harness.

Juggy
03-31-2008, 07:46 AM
dont mess around....just go straight into the conversion!! your going to regret it if you dont. If you cant get the SMEC electronics you like, I wouldnt do anything less than 87 T2!!

we just trashed a SC with the interior harness....I had the dash out and in my hands....I just didnt have use for the harness...maybe i need to quit being selfish lol...it went to the crushers....

I did however get the engine bay harness....it appears to be in very good shape for its age, and if your interested I could convert it to T2 for you and send it your way for some $$$$ or just leave it T1 and it will cost you less ;) there is no wiring for the starter/trans crap tho....im on the lookout for that myself!

if you cant find an interior harness...i believe all you need to do is add a few pins to your existing interior harness....mainly the fuel pump!

glht_omni
04-09-2008, 08:20 PM
the best harness to convert a L body with is a 89 minivan harness as it has the bulhead at the firewall too, p bodies go through the fire wall. plus you get the smec which are easy and cheap to custom tune.
i'll sell you a complete 89 turbo minivan harness, with every wire, relay and solenoid plus the smec ecu for $125 shipped. i have sold 4 combos like that in the last few years for L bodies and thats what i ran in my 85 glht.

iTurbo
04-09-2008, 11:32 PM
That's what I run in my Omni GLH Turbo; a modified '89 turbo Caravan harness. Been running great for years that way. That's probably the cheapest way to go.

Otherwise if you can get a custom harness made it will definitely save some headaches and depending on your ability it could very well be worth it. I've also modified an '88 TBI Omni harness for Turbo II use. Basically ended up with a home brewed Super 60 harness.