PDA

View Full Version : new heads and cams?

XTREME_TJ
02-28-2006, 05:46 PM
alright since i am swaping my omni to a t2, and the head has to come off anyways i figure might as well replace it and start fresh. now i ran across this piece on ebay, http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=8041138442&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT

and was curious if i were to purchase that along with FWD perfoamce cam set
http://www.fwdperformance.com/store/Product.asp?IDCatalog=78&ProductID=472

what are your thoughts i see that FWD cheapest head is 700 bucks plus the core, now i am just building a budget daily driver. so all thoughts and opions will be noted.

thanks again

Phreakish
02-28-2006, 08:38 PM
good head, its a re-casting and quality may not be as good as the stock stuff, AND it doesn't include valves - which means you'll either have to lap yours in, or more likely need a valve job at a head shop anyhow - personally I'd just drop the head off at a local shop and have them check it all and do a valve job and such - while they're at it you could drop some conical springs and chevy retainers into it and get some pt crusier lash adjusters (or just stock new ones).

FWDs heads are PORTED - MUCH better than the ebay one. A ported head will be VERY much appreciated by the engine when it comes to power - you'll get a lot more than any unported head at the same boost level.

If you have the budget for the FWD head (getting your stock head redone and finished up will be ~$300 or so at a decent shop after all is said and done) then I'd recommend it, or see if you can find a used Steve M head for sale (probably not, they're very popular and hes no longer doing heads).

turbovanmanČ
02-28-2006, 08:51 PM
If your going for stock, that new head is a good deal, just get your stock valves redone or buy new stainless units from FM or FWD.

If your going wild, the ported head is a good deal.

The S2 cam is a good package but again, if your going mild, the S1 is a good choice.

Conicals are a good plan, as are PT lifters but you can't run the PT's with an S2 cam.

What are you goals?

John B
03-05-2006, 05:09 PM
good plan, as are PT lifters but you can't run the PT's with an S2 cam.

You could with lash caps:)

turbovanmanČ
03-05-2006, 05:11 PM
Hahhaaa, but thats just one more thing to fail or come apart, :thumb:

show-off
03-05-2006, 05:48 PM
I got a rebuilt head w/ 300 miles on it. All new parts except the valves which have a 3-angle valve job and it was decked .007 so ya know it is straight! I ended up going ported.
Send me a PM if you are interested...will let it go at a reasonable rate. All you have to do is drop the cam, lifters, and rollers and go.

If you go ported, Turbo Dynamx has a nicely ported head w/ +1mm valves for around 700-800 range...I think. Just letting you know you got option. I have his head in my car. It will take at least a month to get back, but he does good work.