PDA

View Full Version : Shelby in Accident...need some help

show-off
02-28-2006, 03:50 PM
Got a quick question. Luckily I was only go 5-10mph when the car broke down, then a lady hit me in the rear. It was my fault since the car broke and she couldn't stop. It did almost no damage to my car, but messed up hers a little.

Here is my real question. The drivers side is the side that gave out. I just had an axle & tie rod replaced on that side. Would the shop that put them on have to take the spindle off the frame for them to put the axle & tie rod on? I don't know how it all goes together. Just looking for imput. The Wheel seperated from the frame...if that makes any sense.

jckrieger
02-28-2006, 04:04 PM
The wheel separated from the frame, as in the knuckle came off the control arm/ball joint? If that's the case, then yes, that must come apart to repalce the CV joint/axle. It seems like 99% of catastrophic failures are due to letting somebody else work on your car :nod:

banger68
02-28-2006, 04:24 PM
I was only go 5-10mph when the car broke down, then a lady hit me in the rear. It was my fault since the car broke and she couldn't stop. It did almost no damage to my car, but messed up hers a little.

That sounds like total crap to me. Thats like saying a Corvette hits the brakes as hard as he can and get rear ended by a Yukon that can't stop as quick.:confused:

jckrieger
02-28-2006, 04:26 PM
That is true, if there is an accident for any reason in front of you and you hit them, it's still your own fault for not slowing to avoid an accident... at least that's how it works in this state.

I just realized I'm no longer a mitsu booster. How cute.

mcsvt
02-28-2006, 04:33 PM
Same here since they consider it following to closely if you can't avoid an issue ahead of you.

Subliminal
02-28-2006, 04:47 PM
Indeed. All the times I've rear ended someone, yet come up with a startlingly good reason, I was still at fault. :(

show-off
02-28-2006, 05:28 PM
I never hit the brakes...it was weird, but there is no way shape or form she could have avoided hitting me. I don't care how good of a driver you think you are. It just broke and stopped while going around a turn. No brake lights or any signs of stopping. I was lucky it was just a little accord and not a big truck!

DodgeZ
02-28-2006, 05:48 PM
was the metal rod stick up or down?

DodgeZ
02-28-2006, 05:51 PM
http://boostedmopar.com/forums/images/faq/suspension/24.jpg

^^^ you can see the bolt for the ball joint.

http://boostedmopar.com/forums/images/faq/suspension/23.jpg

^^^^^^^^^ you can see the tie rod ended.

You are very very lucky that is didn't happen at 140mph.

jckrieger
02-28-2006, 06:14 PM
Yeah, that's why you don't drive 100mph in your car unless you've personally seen every piece of the suspension torqued to spec and that everything is in good shape. You never know what might happen.

The S is Silent
02-28-2006, 06:38 PM
I guess that's why cotter pins on the rod ends is a good idea.

show-off
02-28-2006, 06:41 PM
Tie rod end was sticking up.

DodgeZ
02-28-2006, 07:09 PM
I'd have some words for the shop that just put it on.

turbovanmanČ
02-28-2006, 09:05 PM
Shitty dude but a couple things.

1) She's at fault, she rear ended you, no if's ands or but's.
2) Take photographs before you do anything
3) Call the shop and tell them what happened calmly. Then have them pick up it and find out what happended. Sounds like bad work or bad parts. If its there fault or manufacterers fault, you will get it all fixed and get your body work fixed.
4) The lady, she's SOL and you will get your body work fixed for free, :thumb:

Dave_J
02-28-2006, 11:58 PM
Even in Gorega, it your following too close and git in an accedent, it is your fault. Even if the car in front of you dident touch the brakes, but just stops and pow. In the pictures above someone forgot to put the axle nut on too. There are many things wrong in those pictures above. DaveJ

Lee'sdaytona
03-01-2006, 12:25 AM
yeah doesn't look like that car has been on the road in quite some time from the looks of the rotors. :nod:
-Lee

DodgeZ
03-01-2006, 09:29 AM
yeah doesn't look like that car has been on the road in quite some time from the looks of the rotors. :nod:
-Lee
That's pictures from my car.

show-off
03-01-2006, 11:12 AM
Went & Looked again....it was the ball joint. Her insurance is paying for my rear bumper & her car.

jckrieger
03-01-2006, 11:48 AM
WOOT. The ball joint coming out is shitty, was the bolt completely missing?

show-off
03-01-2006, 12:07 PM
Yeah...there is nothing there but the joint & it's bent

tryingbe
03-01-2006, 01:37 PM
Happened to me 2 weekend ago.
Swap out the tranny and forgot that bolt and nut. Drove 2 blocks away on the test drive before the hub pop out of the ball joint. Lucky, I was starting at the stop sign and was going no more than 5mph when this happened. Front driver wheel locked with lots of white smoke, half shaft was pulled out out the tranny. Tranny oil was everywhere on the ground.

Lucky, nothing was damaged, and a little road side repair, I was good to good.
Never again will I forget another bolt.

show-off
03-01-2006, 02:05 PM
Good news on this front. Just need to replace the bolt and I am good to go. There was no damage done to anything. Just need to replace the tranny fluid and roll on.

I am lucky I wasn't going any faster!

omni_840
03-01-2006, 02:20 PM
BTW, My friend rear ended a guy after he was sideswiped him. My buddy was riding his bumper to get the licsense # behind the tow ball and he slammed his brakes and my freind smashed his front end into the tow hitch. After the police arrived they found out he was drinking and they held him liable for my friends damage. (his dad is an insurance agent) Thats the only way its not the person in behinds fault

turbovanmanČ
03-01-2006, 07:23 PM
Good news on this front. Just need to replace the bolt and I am good to go. There was no damage done to anything. Just need to replace the tranny fluid and roll on.

I am lucky I wasn't going any faster!

I would be getting my money back from the shop, or some form of compensation, that could have been deadly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Force Fed Mopar
03-01-2006, 09:23 PM
Sounds like either you need to get a new shop, or the bolt just broke and fell out. Weird things happen sometimes.

show-off
03-01-2006, 09:37 PM
Sounds like either you need to get a new shop, or the bolt just broke and fell out. Weird things happen sometimes.

I went back and the tie rod (what the shop did) was still attached and the strut was also. So there is no fault from the shop. I forgot you & Kevin put that axle in, but he said yall didn't touch the ball joint. Luckily, no one was hurt.

My friend (steve,certified mech) put a new bolt in and is inspecting the car too. He said it did no damage to anything and drove it out of the shop and parked it until he gets off the clock then he is going to mess with it somemore.:thumb:

turbovanmanČ
03-01-2006, 10:21 PM
Good to know you guys f*cked it up, lol!

:banghead:

DodgeZ
03-02-2006, 12:04 PM
We didn't ---- it up. For some reason rob pulled the strut loose when he pulled the axle out. We never loosed the ball joint bolt. What I don't get is why it came loose. It is a locking nut on there. Also Mark said he saw a hole thru the part sticking out like a cotter pin would go thru. Ball joints don't have that.

show-off
03-02-2006, 01:24 PM
You got me? My buddy put a bolt in it and drove it last night. He is going to double check everything...I know yall didn't do it.