PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Running Propane?

ShadowFromHell
03-23-2008, 03:29 PM
With diesel going over $4 last week locally, and regular 87 being around $3.50, its getting to dang expensive to drive! Now, I work for a petroleum company (still no break on fuel either!), and I can get propane for about 1.20 gallon. So... Im thinking why not convert my one, carberated vehicle to propane? Its cheap, runs super clean, and will have all the benefits of running fuel injection off-road. Since my one carberated vehicle is my 70 Jeepster, even better!

So is anyone on the forums doing this? Im thinking of going to the local JY and picking up a system off of a old converted propane hop truck (we have alot of these running around the valley for some reason) and making that stuff work. I could probably get most of the parts for under $100!

Try this on for size... using a rampage for a platform, build a high comp long rod 2.5, and run it on propane. Since it would be a high comp motor, you could use the 110 octane rating of the propane to your benifit! Not turbo power, but at 1.20 a gallon, It would make for a great dd!

cordes
03-23-2008, 10:27 PM
My dad ran a D150 off of propane for some time. It worked out pretty well for him. If you can manage it, I would do it.

BF/STOCKER SPIRIT
03-23-2008, 10:52 PM
That's A Pretty Good Idea,and Works Well, Until The Converter,ices Up,lol
Ok! That On A Forklift.

nBALLS
03-23-2008, 11:40 PM
A friend of mine converted a 3.0L Ram van to propane(I think he's in the middle of a 5spd swap to it right now), he said it lacks power just a bit, but it works well, and is cheap to fill.

cordes
03-24-2008, 12:59 AM
A friend of mine converted a 3.0L Ram van to propane(I think he's in the middle of a 5spd swap to it right now), he said it lacks power just a bit, but it works well, and is cheap to fill.

The lack of power is a good point. I know that my dad raised the compression on his truck to offset it.

turbospirites
05-08-2008, 09:38 AM
i stuck a propain tank hose to the throttle body of my pickup (carberated)it ran couldn't belive it but it did. i thought propain cost more than gas by a longmile! isn't a 20 Lb (5 gal) tank like $40 when 5 gallons of gas is only 20

jamesmonty
05-08-2008, 10:36 AM
Propane? Humm, I know some old utility trucks used to run off propane. In fact the trucks I saw could run both propane and gas, useful when you couldn't find somewhere to fill at. I would love to be able to convert my TBI van or even my Chevy 350 work van. Anyone know of any online info for the conversion?

clarkwhoracing
05-08-2008, 12:00 PM
It would be great to do it but service stations or pumping stations are far and few between and you are limited on trips and all.

Local around town car would be nice though.

I think you have to have your own pumps to be able to pump the propane from storage tanks if you have them at home - at least I think.

Propane here is going up over $3.20 a gallon so do not expect it to stay low in my eyes.

Yeah there are different zones of the country but I think someone will get there hands in there soon and lock prices (lower) across the country and board on what to charge or what the distriubutor sells. Maybe this will force prices down for propane and gas.

zin
05-08-2008, 04:57 PM
Ah propane, the "alternate fuel" that actually makes sense! It's got almost the same BTU per pound as gas, is relatively easy to store and is well over 100 octane. Oh, and has very little carbon so engines live longer and emit much lower emissions over their lifetime as a result! Too bad it isn't cutting edge tech, if it were we'd be hearing how it's the best thing ever! Ok, I'm stopping myself before I REALLY get going on a rant.

The cost will vary with location and how much you buy, and whether it's being used as a motor fuel or heating.

I think you have to have your own pumps to be able to pump the propane from storage tanks if you have them at home - at least I think.

Propane will be at about 160 PSI @ 85*F so no pump is needed in a car, as for filling at home, I think you could do it without a pump, but it would take a bit longer and have more "waste". That is you would just open the vent on the bottle valve and let the propane displace the "air" (really just gaseous propane). With nothing pushing it in, it would take longer, but the procedure is still pretty much the same, hook up, open the vent, then wait for the vent to start spitting liquid.

Stillen ran Pike's Peak in a propane equipped turbo 300Z some time ago (96?), there was an article in Turbo Mag I think.

The only real drawback to propane, and most other "alternate" fuels is that if you just convert an 87 octane gas engine to use it, you leave a heck of a lot on the table. Now, go build a 12:1 engine and you'd really see what it can do!

Heck, Ak Miller used to do conversions back in the 70s, but the CA Smog Nazis came down on him like a ton of bricks! Said he altered the emissions devices when he did them, specifically he removed and replaced the carb. with a propane version. Damn, I said I wasn't going to rant...

Mike

black86glhs
05-09-2008, 12:47 AM
We used to use propane as a tool to check the tune of Q-jet carbs. Talk about an engine suddenly start running smooth....kind of cool.

JeremyL
05-09-2008, 01:47 AM
Propane is nice, but you need to raise the compression ratio. Propane LOVES boost.

Many many years ago in one of the hot rod mags there was a propane powered Cadillac Seville ( I think?) with twin turbos. 1000 horses & street driven, and that was in the late 80s or early 90s.

WickedShelby88
05-09-2008, 09:02 AM
Propane seems to have the same properties as compressed natural gas which was really popular for a while. I'm not sure it there is any big kick now. Methane is another good try and its free.. Cow crap and land fill waste all emit it. Most landfills here just burn it off to prevent an explosion from the underground pressure.. What a waste no pun intended. I remember checking the oil on our fork lift one day though and even after a year it was still as clean as a fresh oil change. That propane stuff is awesome.

jamesmonty
05-09-2008, 09:17 AM
There is a local landfill here that captures the methane and uses it to heat homes. This is from their web page--> "At Rumpke's Cincinnati landfill, the company works with Getty Synthetic Fuels to extract methane gas from the landfill. The gas is purified and used to heat approximately 20,000 homes in Colerain Township, Ohio.". So some people are not just burning it off!

Back to propane, I asked the same question on BM.com and got a good responce--> from DodgeZdad, "It was 25 years ago when I was the technical supervisor for the Pro-carb duel fuel carburetor. I held the license to manufacture, install, and dispense propane devises. It is a very complex system to install and is best done by a propane company. I had two shops that installed them and I traveled all over the US and Canada to train mechanics.
When the computer controlled autos arrived in the early eighties and the price of propane by the gallon increased we went out of business. My brother in law loss several millions in this venture.
It works very good especially in high compression engines because of its high octane and burns very clean and therefore your engine last much longer.
Google 'Impco' for more information on this and I even think they have the electronics for tuning them. They have been the leader in this. They build carbs for the thousands of trucks, emergency pumps, generators."

Sounds like propane could work, but is it cost efficent? I have seen some off-road kits you can buy DIY but most of the other companies don't offer DIY.

turbospirites
05-09-2008, 10:07 AM
like this?
http://www.gotpropane.com/

jamesmonty
05-09-2008, 03:09 PM
like this?
http://www.gotpropane.com/

Yep. That was one place I saw. You can get the same style kits on e-bay for half the price.