PDA

View Full Version : FS 86 GLHS project

Richard Paul
02-28-2006, 01:02 PM
I have an 86 GLHS that needs to find a new home. It is rusty in the front frame rails and probably also has some floor rust. Has 86 S wheels, Konis, steering wheel, instrument cluster with overlay, missing dash plaque. Comes with original engine and trans (out of the car). Car is partly dissassembled but pretty much everything is there. Radiator will need to be recored. Also comes with a very straight black GLHT body shell that is pretty much stripped (no interior, no drivetrain). You can cut most of what you need from the GLHT shell to fix the S or build a clone if you want too. Cars are both in SE PA 1 hour south of Philly. $1000. for all of it including a clear title. I don't have time to work on this project in the foreseeable future and need it to go away so I don't want to have to move it and store it. I am not parting it out right now, but if nobody buys it I may part it out, so don't cry about it when it happens.
Also don't ask about parts now. I don't want 50 PMs for the Konis or wheels, besides it will cost you less to buy the whole car anyways.

I have no pictures right now, may get some in a week or so.

BadAssPerformance
02-28-2006, 01:25 PM
Sounds like a decent resto project. What # car is it? Awaiting pics...

guyd_15
02-28-2006, 04:15 PM
Saw the cars on Sunday, it's #499.
Guy Douglas

_9_
03-01-2006, 10:06 AM
how's the engine in the glhs? running, dissassembled? Does the engine itself need anything you know of?

-Courtney

Richard Paul
03-01-2006, 10:41 AM
Engine was running but on 3 cylinders last time the car was driven on a trailer. Had been sitting a while. Could be fouled pug or a bad injector. The engine and trans are assembled and out of the car. This car is a restoration candidate, not something you can get running quickly and drive while you tinker with it.

Marcus86GLHS
03-02-2006, 05:07 PM
"...it's #499....."

very interesting #.....come on someone should get this car back to life.

j4278h
03-02-2006, 06:03 PM
Richard,

when you get pics can you send me some at hagg1651@kettering.edu. I'd be really interested if it still had the dash plaque and i had a way to get both of them to me cheaply.

Now all i would need is the 89 csx.

any interest at all in trades for other turbo dodges or parts? I don't have any dohc turbo parts though.

Richard Paul
03-02-2006, 06:27 PM
I am getting rid of it because I am moving. Don't want parts or other cars in trade. I would just keep the GLHS if that was the case.
Dash plaque problem can be solved, transportation will be your issue.
There is a good possibility that when I get to the place where the car is and could take pictures, it may be sawzall time, or very near sawzall time. So if you are serious, you should look into the transportation issue. Best plan for that is to rent a 15 foot truck and a trailer. We can use the rollback to put one car in the truck and the other can go on the trailer.

firebaron90
03-03-2006, 03:20 AM
Guys,
Richard is a good guy, and I have seen this car. Someone has to save it.

Joe

racer-xerols
03-06-2006, 03:33 PM
Rich got this car from me. It's all there except the dash plaque, but it is VIN-verified as #499. Highest CS# retailed - rumor is #500 was used to rebuild Carroll's rolled #1 (currently living as #1 with a Hans Hermann-head VNT motor, according to Carroll when I talked to him in 2001-wow!).

The car is rusty, but it is salvagable...just not by me, I'm not a body guy. It was hard for me to get rid of too - its VIN is sequential to my other GLHS, #104. But, time and money... Somebody should get it and save it, it's a cool piece of the series' history.

Richard Paul
03-11-2006, 10:42 AM
I am going to buy sawzall blades today.

This car is 5 hours away. I am not driving down to take pictures of it. If anybody is serious I will work something out, but if you are serious you will understand the work involved. You can PM me a phone number and I will discuss the work involved with you.
Too many times I have taken pictures of cars and parts for looky loos. I am not interested in going for a long drive, spending $50 in gas and tolls to go take pictures. If I have to drive past there with another van on my way south I will take pictures, but otherwise when I go down there I will leave with parts unless somebody wants this car and the body shell.

Directconnection
03-11-2006, 09:49 PM
Bump for saving a rare Shelby!

Want to add: you, Richard, need to understand that people like yourself hold their finances dear to them. Nobody wants to get burned buying something sight unseen. I trust your judgment... and assume many others do, too. You just need to understand fully why people need to see what they buy before plunking down the $. On the otherhand...I know exactly how you feel, too. I had a '63 Polara convertible that sat and sat and sat... tire kickers galore. Even had one guy tell me he was coming back the next day after work with the cash (my asking price, to boot) only to %^&# me off as he never showee up as I waited...and waited...and waited. Happened quite a few times. Then the ad goes out and 1st guy offers me below asking price(of course) and after all the tire kicking of the others, I said what the h$ll. THEN, I get 4 other calls with people bummed out I sold the car. Oh well....

Anyhow... save the old, rare gal for someone who will appreciate this part of Shelby Dodge history. Maybe take trades from people if needed. Get some T-II motors out of the deal or performance parts.

JeremyL
03-11-2006, 11:38 PM
If only it were a little bit closer to me. :(

I'd love to have it, but there's no way I can buy the car AND the fuel I'd need to go up there & back with a trailer to get it.

Bump. Someone save this car!

Richard Paul
03-12-2006, 01:34 AM
I am not taking trades because I need to reduce the car count. I can't think of something I would rather have than an 86 S.
I am going overseas soon and the car needs to leave.

I have bought and sold stuff sight unseen before. Face it, an 86 S with a good spare body is worth far more than this in parts. I know pictures are nice, but I am tired of getting things out of storage and down from the attic for TDers that really want it but have to have pictures. When you send the pictures they never reply back, or don't have any money, or wish it was on the other side of the country or various other excuses.

If someone is serious about the car I can give them a pretty good rundown on it. If I can, I will get pictures, but I do not plan to take the better part of a day to go down and do that when I do not have the time. One person has asked the serious questions as to what was needed to fix the car, nobody else. If the car wasn't cheap then maybe so, but face it the wheels are worth $500.

ShelbyMotorsports
03-12-2006, 02:16 AM
Highest CS# retailed - rumor is #500 was used to rebuild Carroll's rolled #1 (currently living as #1 with a Hans Hermann-head VNT motor, according to Carroll when I talked to him in 2001-wow!).

Your rumors are wrong.

GLHS #500 was sold and was last registered in Arkansas.

Carrolls #001 was never rolled. You are thinking of another GLHS that was rolled by an Automotive journalist back in the day.

I doubt Carroll would tell people his 16v GLHS has a VNT motor.

Richard sorry about your thread being hijacked but if bad info isn't stopped right away it soon becomes fact when it is not.

PS- CarFax gives #499 a clean bill of health. Richard send me your email address and I can send you the CarFax report if you want.

_9_
03-13-2006, 06:23 PM
Richard, my plans fell through on a glh near my house in a field, so I'm setting my sights on your "s." I just need to see about renting a trailer and kinda figure out what it will cost to get them from philly to Richmond, Va. I'll pm you latter, i'm at work.

-Courtney

Directconnection
03-13-2006, 08:26 PM
Koolio! Hopefully my ramblings saved a car.;)

_9_
03-14-2006, 09:14 AM
hopefully.... Im not too worried bout engine/trans problems, I've been a tech for a few years, right now for Audi, but body stuff is pretty foreign to me. The good news is I'm pretty sure I can talk my wife into it. She know's how much I want a GLH-S, plus we'll need another car in about 5 months which ought to be more than enough time for me to make it into a good daily driver.

-Courtney

racer-xerols
03-17-2006, 01:00 AM
Thanks for the correct info on the #500 and #1 cars, guess I was misinformed on that one. I do remember the rollover story involving a journalist. However, I remember very clearly the conversation I had with Carroll (not heard about, but HAD) as he was looking over my 89 CSX-VNT at VIR in 2001 where he was Grand Marshall for a Shelby homecoming weekend. The day went like this: I arrive late for the parade lap, they are lining up as I pull in the gate, and I smell raw fuel that I trace to a leaking rail. A number of Dodge guys help push my car into the show area (no lap for me) while one goes home (local) to get me a spare rail, which I swap out before driving the 5 hours home. Parade lap, Carroll leaves the track, heads for the Dodge tent bypassing all the Cobras and Mustangs. We present him with an autographed T-shirt from the National Capital Chapter, and he starts signing cars. He headed to my VNT which was the only red one in the field (and used to be Roger Crawford's car, if anyone remembers him - the car is a pristine 2-option magazine car) and asked "is it OK if I sign it?". Duh. We talk a bit. He called the late Bob Marsh over to look at the car, and Bob instantly noted "that's not stock", referring to the TEC S60VNT in my car. At which point Carroll asked where he could get one, gave me his card - be glad to send you a scan - and told me about his GLHS. No urban legend this, it really happened - just like the 18" signature on my dashboard (there's camcorder footage out there somewhere, too). He says (and I have no reason to disbelieve) it's a real handful to drive. I'd love a chance to find out.

Not to hijack Rich's thread again. The GLHS is worth saving, and I agree with him - there's nothing I'd rather have than an 86. I love my 89, but can't wait to get my own 86 reassembled and on the road. Something about those damn shoeboxes ;)

briceturbosports
03-17-2006, 01:25 PM
i got a look at the car back in nov when we were at cecil county fun day. it is a project but is all there the glh has a nice body and i would snatch it up but i did't have time for an other big project but i must say for that price you should jump fast the parts that come with it make me think i should reconsider :eyebrows:

ShelbyMotorsports
03-17-2006, 03:40 PM
He says (and I have no reason to disbelieve) it's a real handful to drive.

100% true on that.

But without going into details I can also tell you 100% that Carrolls GLHS #001 Omni does NOT have a VNT turbo on it.

Richard Paul
04-02-2006, 08:43 AM
Alright, no buyers, car is now parts.
Rusty shell available, plus other stuff. See parts section.