PDA

View Full Version : SRT4, stock type flywheel/pp goes boom!

turbovanmanČ
03-21-2008, 06:36 PM
I wouldn't even consider running the stock type setup with any more power than stock-

http://www.srtforums.com/forums/f213/what-night-dcr-clutch-explodes-third-gear-7700rpms-430318/

BadAssPerformance
03-21-2008, 06:37 PM
I thought there were guys pushing serious HP thru the modular cutch?

turbovanmanČ
03-21-2008, 06:48 PM
I thought there were guys pushing serious HP thru the modular cutch?

Yeah and did you see my link, there are others that went BOOM, even Mopar performance clutches. The PP's are grey or sintered iron and shatter at high power or rpm's.

Clay
03-21-2008, 07:22 PM
thats not a stock clutch though. Its a Darrel Cox Racing stage II clutch

rich tideswell
03-21-2008, 07:38 PM
did you read what that guy posted..... sounds like he was seriously beating on the car to me..... and from reading what he posted about shifting at 8000rpm, i doubt he broke the clutch in properly.

these are isolated insodents. there are thousonads of srt-4 owners (modded and stock) who have never had issues like this.

cordes
03-21-2008, 08:00 PM
thats not a stock clutch though. Its a Darrel Cox Racing stage II clutch

Thanks for pointing that out Clay, you beat me to it. Anyway, that is a pretty horrific situation. That guy truly is lucky the clutch went out through the hood rather than through the firewall. He would have had a much worse evening otherwise.

mpboost
03-21-2008, 11:17 PM
I personally know the owner of the car, and also the person who was driving it at the time.

Yes it is a DCR clutch, but the part that failed is in fact a stock clutch piece. It's actually the flywheel portion of the modular clutch that fails because it is not designed for high RPM. Pretty much all the modular clutches for these cars use the same exact part and there have been several other brands of modular clutches that have grenaded the same way.

As for the other issues with the DCR clutches slipping; I guess I got lucky because mine works fine, and has 11k miles on it right now. Seems that proper installation and break in is key to them working (DCR clutches require an insane 1000mi break in).

BadAssPerformance
03-21-2008, 11:24 PM
1k mile break in? That sucks, especially for a drag car.

MiniMopar
03-21-2008, 11:43 PM
He is just lucky it did not go through his skull.

turbovanmanČ
03-22-2008, 03:34 AM
Exactly, as I pointed out, most use the stock PP setup which isn't designed for that kind of abuse. For any kind of power, you need to run a real flywheel, :thumb:

Clay
03-22-2008, 08:17 AM
do they make a conventional clutch for these cars? that sounds like the way to go instead of this modular thing. this isnt the first one Ive seen come apart either. Probably seen 3 or 4 like this on SRTforums over the last couple years.

BadAssPerformance
03-22-2008, 09:31 AM
I thought someone made one for them, it just uses a regular flywheel. I'm trying to find out how similar those are to the 2.2L/2.5L flywheel which bolts up perfectly to the 2.4L ;)

Speaking of clutches blowing up, that is why NHRA specifies that cars making over 400whp need SFI approved clutches. One of the differences is that the pplate clamping surface is cast steel instead of cast iron so it holds together better...

turbovanmanČ
03-23-2008, 04:16 AM
I thought someone made one for them, it just uses a regular flywheel. I'm trying to find out how similar those are to the 2.2L/2.5L flywheel which bolts up perfectly to the 2.4L ;)

Speaking of clutches blowing up, that is why NHRA specifies that cars making over 400whp need SFI approved clutches. One of the differences is that the pplate clamping surface is cast steel instead of cast iron so it holds together better...

If you read that thread, there are some guys making a real flywheel setup.

Yep, most stock flywheels and pp's are made of a weak material and will grenade with abuse.

mario03SRT
03-23-2008, 08:38 AM
The stock SRT clutch is a very good piece (Sachs). I ran the sheite out of mine on the track and street. I upgraded to the Stage 3 clutch after 90k.

I've seen 2 cars here in the area do the same thing....very ugly and enough to make you kill youself over the carnage and the repair bill. DCR has stop trying to pedal the crappy clutches which never worked for ----.

The problem with the modular setups is that they attach to the fairly flimsy flex plate which will from car to car disintegrate from the load and speed on big hp cars. The flex plate used to be only for slushbox cars.

All of the typical aftermarket big boys make disk/pres plate setups, CM, ACT, Centerforce, .....but the best one seems to be the clutches from South Bend Co. They specialize in Cummins Drag trucks etc and know about retarded low end torque.

FYI,
Marion

BadAssPerformance
03-23-2008, 09:52 AM
If you read that thread, there are some guys making a real flywheel setup.

I think Clutchmasters and ACT sell them? I've been looking...

...The problem with the modular setups is that they attach to the fairly flimsy flex plate which will from car to car disintegrate from the load and speed on big hp cars. The flex plate used to be only for slushbox cars.

All of the typical aftermarket big boys make disk/pres plate setups, CM, ACT, Centerforce, .....but the best one seems to be the clutches from South Bend Co. They specialize in Cummins Drag trucks etc and know about retarded low end torque.

FYI,
Marion

+1 on the flex plate being the issue. Hmmm... I'll have to check out South Bend. :thumb:

rich tideswell
03-23-2008, 11:32 AM
do they make a conventional clutch for these cars? that sounds like the way to go instead of this modular thing. this isnt the first one Ive seen come apart either. Probably seen 3 or 4 like this on SRTforums over the last couple years.

clutch masters does, they sell them as a kit with aluminum flywheels,
the fx600 and fx700 series.

mpboost
03-23-2008, 09:03 PM
clutch masters does, they sell them as a kit with aluminum flywheels,
the fx600 and fx700 series.
Both of those are also twin disc clutches if anyone is wondering ;)

rich tideswell
03-24-2008, 06:25 AM
Both of those are also twin disc clutches if anyone is wondering ;)

hey, i figured...if you're peeling off some dead presidents, why not go for the gusto.....

the fx700 is more of a race clutch as it offers almost instant engagement

mpboost
03-24-2008, 12:17 PM
hey, i figured...if you're peeling off some dead presidents, why not go for the gusto.....

the fx700 is more of a race clutch as it offers almost instant engagement
In all seriousness I hope that if I manage to toast my DCR clutch it will not include catastrophic failure.

Although my DCR clutch holds fine, it is not fun to drive on the steet anyways: it also engages almost instantly once you get the pedal halfway up. The aluminum flywheel and 4-puck FWDP clutch in my K-car is 10 times easier to modulate, and that is not supposed to be a street friendly clutch.

In another year or two I want to pull the engine for a full build and that FX600 is looking like a good clutch to throw in there at the same time (along with a Tilton hydro throwout bearing).

It's too bad the parts for these cars aren't as cheap as the old school turbododge stuff, but the tradeoff is there is a lot more aftermarket support for them right now.

Aries_Turbo
03-24-2008, 10:00 PM
man that is dangerous. i have a feeling that it was the RPM more than the power.

the thing with large aftermarket support is that it attracts the wrong crowd alot of times. the know-it-all braggarts with just enough money that they can feed the car parts all day long and run their mouths....

when you have to make everything (or at least alot) yourself, you get a different appreciation for the automobile. a good dose of maturity helps too. :)

Brian

MiniMopar
03-25-2008, 03:13 AM
a good dose of maturity helps too. :)

:lol: :amen:

Another good reason not to wind your motor to 8k, LOL. There are some people on that forum with a clue, but often it just hurts my brain to read.

t3rse
03-25-2008, 09:09 AM
There is nothing wrong with winding the motor to 8k if you have properly set it up to do so. I think Brian hit it on the head though: more money than brains....

The proof is how DCR has become the SRT demigod with sheisslich products and all....

The SRT4 is the new mustang.

mpboost
03-25-2008, 12:43 PM
The SRT4 is the new mustang.
I wouldn't worry about that, I think over the next 5 yrs the bad apples will start to get weeded out as people move onto new vehicles. Most of the owners are just going to sellout to the next "big thing" anyways especially now that the Neon SRT-4 is no longer produced.

I've been on that forum 5+ years now (member #42 if that says anything) and Brian is definitely right on about maturity level: the SRT crowd generally doesn't have it. The technical knowledge on that forum is scarce. There are a few individuals that contribute greatly to the community and a whole mass that only post garbage (including some of the vendors). For these reasons I don't post there often. Typically technically rich threads end up being overlooked and drowned out by immature antics.

Aries_Turbo
03-25-2008, 04:55 PM
i dont find many car forums that have a reasonable amount of mature members that get along with each other for the most part other than here (now that i say that, all hell with break loose lol).

the two local ones im on are absolute garbage.

Brian

t3rse
03-25-2008, 06:11 PM
i dont find many car forums that have a reasonable amount of mature members that get along with each other for the most part other than here (now that i say that, all hell with break loose lol).

:fencing:

Aries_Turbo
03-25-2008, 07:42 PM
hehe

Brian