PDA

View Full Version : RT SBEC or MS

WickedShelby88
03-21-2008, 04:13 AM
I plan on putting together a hybrid engine for the dodge lancer I am picking up and I was curious if anyone out there is using an SBEC setup and if anyone had tried running the RT unit utilizing the crank sensor and all as a more budget friendly and factor appearing approach. At least I think it would be to some degree.

iTurbo
03-21-2008, 01:38 PM
I looked into this because as you know I'm doing something similar. Unfortunately the R/T SBEC will not work on a hybrid engine without some kind of custom fabbed cam sprocket. The crank sensor would work fine as long as you used an R/T A568 and R/T flywheel, but the R/T cam sensor reads notches on the intake cam sprocket. So if you could somehow modify a 2.0/2.4 cam sprocket for these notches, and figure out a way to mount a cam sensor it would probably work.

WickedShelby88
03-22-2008, 12:48 AM
I see. I imagine thats why the R/Ts respond really well to a cal though, because of having the advantage of a cam and crank sensor to monitor engine performance per cylinder versus a table.

cordes
03-22-2008, 10:10 AM
I see. I imagine thats why the R/Ts respond really well to a cal though, because of having the advantage of a cam and crank sensor to monitor engine performance per cylinder versus a table.

Don't the R/Ts still go into closed loop at WOT and use the tables though?

WickedShelby88
03-22-2008, 08:36 PM
Good ?

cordes
03-22-2008, 09:48 PM
Good ?

I was just commenting that the added sensors etc. aren't a help at WOT, as it is still going by what is in a set table rather than being adjustable on the fly. I know that the SBECs and SBECIIs are sequential injection etc., but I really don't think that the added features of those ECUs have been fully utilized yet, and are thus not making a huge impact on performance over a LM or SMEC.

Someone jump in if I am wrong.

WickedShelby88
03-23-2008, 10:14 AM
I see what you mean. It would take some time to definitely utilize the potential there. I know the advantage the sequential injected buick V6 seems to have over a lot of cars, but it does use a mass air flow sensor versus the speed density setup.

turbogui
05-25-2008, 09:28 AM
MS for the unlimited tuning ability and also all the other option like antilag, launch control, boost control, flexible rev limiter,wideband support, logging......

I run a MS in a 2.2 hybrid for 2 years now and i just love it.

turbovanmanČ
05-25-2008, 12:50 PM
Its probably doable but I've heard the S60 cal is great for hybrids, with some minor tweaking.

On mine, I am trying a TIII cal converted to a 89 SMEC with a dizzy so we will see how that works out in the next couple weeks.

WickedShelby88
06-10-2008, 10:42 AM
Sounds promising for sure Simon. Any word on how thats working out?

turbovanmanČ
06-10-2008, 01:38 PM
I tried his cal but its too lean but it ran awesome, smooth and seemed to make good power. I am now running his older 2.5 TIII cal its a bullet, :clap:

I ran a 13.9 at aprox 3/4 throttle, 17ish psi and mega lean, ;)

WickedShelby88
06-10-2008, 02:24 PM
Lean means mean.. Right on the edge is power.

turbovanmanČ
06-10-2008, 02:43 PM
Lean means mean.. Right on the edge is power.

Lean means boom, :(

WickedShelby88
06-10-2008, 02:44 PM
Lol yeah if you run tooo lean. Thats where a wide band and an led for spark knock can come in handy. The old skool guys would literally listen for it.