PDA

View Full Version : Will a 91 8 valve SBEC run an R/T?

turbovanmanČ
03-20-2008, 04:45 PM
I am trying to get Robs, aka Wopr's car running. I fixed the starter issue and now, it only runs on cylinders 2 and 3, no spark from the coil towers on 1 and 4. I had bought a used R/T SBEC but this is leading me to believe its not an R/T computer.

Turbodave
03-20-2008, 04:49 PM
I don't think it would even run, but I've never tried it.

What's the part# on the computer?

turbovanmanČ
03-20-2008, 04:53 PM
I don't think it would even run, but I've never tried it.

What's the part# on the computer?

Can't make any numbers out, but I just took the case apart, it has 3 large heat sinks?

Turbodave
03-20-2008, 04:56 PM
You try hooking up a scan tool to it when it was in the car? Most scan tools will read the computer and tell you it's application (at least my old OTC 2000 does).

Should be able to fire the spark circuit with a scan tool too, so that might help your troubleshooting.

minigts
03-20-2008, 05:13 PM
You should use a paperclip to arc from one of the heatsinks to the ECU. That should do the trick. I saw that on the DYI network, but the end of the show was interrupted so I can't confirm everything turned out ok.

Captain Chaos
03-20-2008, 05:28 PM
You should use a paperclip to arc from one of the heatsinks to the ECU. That should do the trick. I saw that on the DYI network, but the end of the show was interrupted so I can't confirm everything turned out ok.

hahaha!!

turbovanmanČ
03-20-2008, 05:31 PM
You try hooking up a scan tool to it when it was in the car? Most scan tools will read the computer and tell you it's application (at least my old OTC 2000 does).

Should be able to fire the spark circuit with a scan tool too, so that might help your troubleshooting.

Yeah, I'll mess around next week. He said it ran perfectly before the engine work so the computer is the only thing changed, electrical wise. Thanks.

Turbo224
03-20-2008, 05:58 PM
Sounds like the wrong year computer. What year is the car and what year is the computer from? I know if a 91 computer is used on a later car then then thats exactly what happens. Two cylinders fire, two do not. Bansheenut had the same problem with a computer he bought that was "supposed" to be for a 92, however after installing it in his R/T it only ran on two cylinders. Came to find out it was off a 91.

turbovanmanČ
03-20-2008, 06:54 PM
Sounds like the wrong year computer. What year is the car and what year is the computer from? I know if a 91 computer is used on a later car then then thats exactly what happens. Two cylinders fire, two do not. Bansheenut had the same problem with a computer he bought that was "supposed" to be for a 92, however after installing it in his R/T it only ran on two cylinders. Came to find out it was off a 91.

Oh, you win the boobie price then. The car is a 92 IROC, my computer is a 91 Spirit.

I've read that they work with some pin changes but maybe not. Thanks, saves me chasing my tail next week for no reason.

zin
03-20-2008, 08:52 PM
Oh, you win the boobie price then. The car is a 92 IROC, my computer is a 91 Spirit.

I've read that they work with some pin changes but maybe not. Thanks, saves me chasing my tail next week for no reason.

There was a discussion about this regarding using other computers for a TIII, someone mentioned what wires needed to be moved to make it work, not many IIR.

WOP'R
03-20-2008, 09:24 PM
LOVELY!!!! ok not a bid deal...ill call up fwd and see whats up with mine

Turbo224
03-21-2008, 02:54 AM

I love winning! You can run the 91, but there are a few pin changes that are needed as you stated. Jackson had a 91 trimcal running in a 92, and a local guy here figured it out also, so it is possible. I dont know the specifics though.

turbovanmanČ
03-21-2008, 03:29 AM
Not worth messing with, he can just get the correct cal, :nod:

Turbo224
03-21-2008, 03:34 AM
Not worth messing with, he can just get the correct cal, :nod:

Now thats the way I prefer. I dont have the patience for stuff like that.

turbovanmanČ
03-21-2008, 03:35 AM
Now thats the way I prefer. I dont have the patience for stuff like that.

Yep, trying to get it running but I am not going to waste time making that cal work unless Cindy takes months to get his cal here.

bansheenut420
03-21-2008, 12:55 PM
It turns out that computer I bought isnt even for an RT. One of the codes it gives me when I tried to use it is a code from an auto car. :confused:

2.216VTurbo
03-21-2008, 12:58 PM
It turns out that computer I bought isnt even for an RT. One of the codes it gives me when I tried to use it is a code from an auto car. :confused:

From a vendor or private party??

bansheenut420
03-21-2008, 01:00 PM
Private party, and surprisingly the guy has an awesome rep. I just wonder if he did it by mistake. If it was from FWD, she would have fixed it for me already. lol Not quite sure what to do with it now as I am not sure what it is exactly.

turbovanmanČ
03-21-2008, 05:07 PM

So your saying a Non R/T computer will sort of run an R/T?

Turbo224
03-21-2008, 10:16 PM
Haha! That sucks Cory. I would contact the guy and atleast tell him. Maybe it was an honest mistake and he still has the R/T computer. If thats the case, he is probably kicking it around thinking it is just T1 auto cal!

bansheenut420
03-22-2008, 03:50 AM
So your saying a Non R/T computer will sort of run an R/T?

No, it wouldnt run it at all. I mean, it acts like it wants to. But only fires on 1 and 3 and gives me code 38 I think it is plus a couple others. No distributor sync pick up is another. :confused: lol