PDA

View Full Version : Lets play: NAME THAT RELAY!!!

Clay
03-20-2008, 08:54 AM
Im away from my manuals, and I was wondering what the relay on the passenger side fender of my GLHT goes to? Is that the horn relay? only thing I can think of.

thanks,
clay

mw6886
03-20-2008, 10:47 AM
A/C Cutout

mock_glh
03-20-2008, 11:01 AM
A/C Cutout

It is also a power link to the radiator fan, A/C or not. The fan will not work without it (unless you rewire something).

mw6886
03-21-2008, 01:27 PM
Really? I have had that disconnected for years, and have never had a fan problem.

Clay
03-21-2008, 01:42 PM
I swore the fan relay was on the drivers side strut tower?????

minigts
03-21-2008, 01:55 PM
My fan relay was on the driver's side, well still is. Just now it's in a fuse block as a relay. :D BTW, don't let the relay hang upside down and then wash your engine bay. The standing water tends to arc when the fan kicks in. Don't ask me how I know....

Marcus86GLHS
03-21-2008, 02:36 PM
i thought the pass-side relay was the horn relay, and the fan relay and a/c relay were grouped together on the drivers-side strut tower, or do i have this wrong?

minigts
03-21-2008, 02:41 PM
Well I don't have a horn relay, unless the horn IS the relay, in which case mine is supposed to be on the passenger side. I don't have A/C, but again the set up on my Charger was that it had two wires going to the compressor and that ran from the driver's side. My engine has as few wires as possible to run the car.

cordes
03-21-2008, 03:01 PM
I thought that the horn relay was the little white job in the fuse block under the dash? I know that the fan relay is on the drivers side. I had to replace that a couple of years back.

minigts
03-21-2008, 03:05 PM
Man all I know is I cannot wait to make it to another event so I can GIVE all these relays, electrical ends and everything I'm not using to SOMEONE. I have like 4 relays I'm not using anymore and about 6 electrical connectors for like the fuel injectors, knock sensor, air charge temp sensor, etc. I need to get rid of this stuff.

88_pacifica
03-21-2008, 03:22 PM
Man all I know is I cannot wait to make it to another event so I can GIVE all these relays, electrical ends and everything I'm not using to SOMEONE. I have like 4 relays I'm not using anymore and about 6 electrical connectors for like the fuel injectors, knock sensor, air charge temp sensor, etc. I need to get rid of this stuff.

Wow.. that's why they make trash cans!:nod: :thumb:

Plus, then you'd be helping save a fellow TD'er :D

Dammm I just had to say that! ;)

Marcus86GLHS
03-21-2008, 03:31 PM
i pulled out the '86 service manual for the L body, the "Wiring Diagrams" volume.

looking on page 8B-10, Engine Component Wiring L Body 2.2L Turbo.

on the drivers side strut tower (as viewed fron the front of the car): the starter relay is on the left, the fan relay is on the right.

the diagram has a boo-boo, they show a relay mounted to the radiator support, just next to the pass-side headlight opening, but we know there isnt a relay mounted to the radiator support on the 2.2L turbo L bodies (at least i have never seen one). ........the diagram labels this relay as the a/c clutch relay.

so i think the relay mounted to the pass-side inner fender right by the vacuum solenoid block must be the a/c clutch relay.

mock_glh
03-21-2008, 03:34 PM
I swore the fan relay was on the drivers side strut tower?????

It is, but the other one is linked to it since it controls the fan for full time duty with the A/C.

minigts
03-21-2008, 03:39 PM
Wow.. that's why they make trash cans!:nod: :thumb:

Plus, then you'd be helping save a fellow TD'er :D

Dammm I just had to say that! ;)

Well I figure someone is going to still need them since a lot of people use the factory relays and what not. Hey, I care about the environment (the TM environment, that is).