PDA

View Full Version : 2Piece FPR O-Rings...

Frank
03-18-2008, 08:59 AM
What is the best method for finding a replacement for the o-ring? Is it just a standard size that I can go to the parts store for? Thanks!

Frank

badandy
03-18-2008, 09:19 AM
What is the best method for finding a replacement for the o-ring? Is it just a standard size that I can go to the parts store for? Thanks!

Frank
It's a fuel injector o-ring homie;)

mcsvt
03-18-2008, 09:24 AM
It's a fuel injector o-ring homie;)

Agreed :thumb: I sliced the one on my SL and noticed it was the same as the injectors.

Frank
03-18-2008, 09:27 AM
Sweet folks! Mine have always been remote mounted. I will get that fixed tonight. it is seeping.

Pat
03-18-2008, 12:27 PM
Must have been the moron that installed it..... :-)

Frank
03-21-2008, 05:56 PM
Nope. Fuel rail is leaking at the flange for the AFPR. Now to find a new one.

87glhs232
03-21-2008, 06:09 PM
Nope. Fuel rail is leaking at the flange for the AFPR. Now to find a new one.
Wow, that sucks. Good thing it didn't cause a fire :yuck:

Frank
03-21-2008, 06:11 PM
Wow, that sucks. Good thing it didn't cause a fire :yuck:

Ya that would be bad! I quit driving it because it went quickly from a faint fuel smell every so often to strong. PARK!

BadAssPerformance
03-21-2008, 06:34 PM
Sweet folks! Mine have always been remote mounted. I will get that fixed tonight. it is seeping.

If one is cracked might not be bad to check all your o-rings... 20 year old o-rings crack with age :( NAPA and other parts stores sell them if you don't have enough spares.

Frank
03-21-2008, 06:37 PM
If one is cracked might not be bad to check all your o-rings... 20 year old o-rings crack with age :( NAPA and other parts stores sell them if you don't have enough spares.

No, the rail is cracked, not the o-ring. When I apply power to the rail, fuel comes out of where the flange and the rail connect.

87glhs232
03-21-2008, 06:39 PM
No, the rail is cracked, not the o-ring. When I apply power to the rail, fuel comes out of where the flange and the rail connect.
How do you apply power to the rail? Wouldn't that be dangerous?:confused:;)

BadAssPerformance
03-21-2008, 06:40 PM
Doh! I missed that.

By 'flange' you mean the bung or the bracket that the regulator mounts to? I've had issues with the bracket leaking on the rail OD, almost impossible to weld easily. :(

Frank
03-21-2008, 07:08 PM
How do you apply power to the rail? Wouldn't that be dangerous?:confused:;)

LOL. I meant power to the fuel pump via the coil.

Doh! I missed that.

By 'flange' you mean the bung or the bracket that the regulator mounts to? I've had issues with the bracket leaking on the rail OD, almost impossible to weld easily. :(

Its where the bung meets the rail.

Clay
03-21-2008, 07:17 PM
pull it out and solder it up. OR take it somewhere and have it tig welded.

Frank
03-21-2008, 07:24 PM
pull it out and solder it up. OR take it somewhere and have it tig welded.

I don't trust many around here with a tig welder. I am not to keen on soldering it up.

I may through a FWDP rail on there since theirs accepts the stock style regulator. I don't know.

Pat
03-21-2008, 09:53 PM
That's odd...that rail has not been touched in about a year when I installed the reg and injectors. I'd probably go with an aftermarket rail just to avoid issues in the future and have the stock rail repaired.

Frank
03-21-2008, 10:00 PM
Ya I am still deciding. I don't actually have the aftermarket rail... I was thinking about buying it. However I guess if I can find some baizing rods tomorrow, I may go for it.

Frank

Frank
03-22-2008, 11:39 AM
So what is the best solder type to fix this thing?

BadAssPerformance
03-22-2008, 11:46 AM
I would guess silver solder like for sweating copper pipes? stainless steel rod works ok ;)

slasky
03-22-2008, 12:35 PM
Its where the bung meets the rail.

So you need TP for your bung hole????

Frank
03-24-2008, 03:30 PM
Well if the repair was for one of the injector openings, I think it would have been cake. However... there is no good way to get in at a good angle to repair the flange/opening for the fuel pressure regulator port. So I ordered a fuel today and it should be here tomorrow. I am stoked to get the car running again as I already mis driving it... only been 4 days! ;)

All in all, it is no wonder these rails eventually leak.... shoty design and assembly.

badandy
03-24-2008, 07:04 PM
So you need TP for your bung hole????
Huh, huh, you said "Bung"

BadAssPerformance
03-24-2008, 07:23 PM
Well if the repair was for one of the injector openings, I think it would have been cake. However... there is no good way to get in at a good angle to repair the flange/opening for the fuel pressure regulator port. So I ordered a fuel today and it should be here tomorrow. I am stoked to get the car running again as I already mis driving it... only been 4 days! ;)

All in all, it is no wonder these rails eventually leak.... shoty design and assembly.

Are you using solder? Ever sweat pipes? You just torch the metal around the crack (not the crack, but near it) and feed the solder into the crack, the heat melts and draws it in. So if you can heat the bung and bend the solder it can get there.

Frank
03-24-2008, 09:20 PM
Are you using solder? Ever sweat pipes? You just torch the metal around the crack (not the crack, but near it) and feed the solder into the crack, the heat melts and draws it in. So if you can heat the bung and bend the solder it can get there.

Yep. Know how to sweat pipes....

That is what I was going to do, however I only see it leaking again. I think there maybe a slight abnormality with this rail. I think there is considerable less mounting surface for me to draw the solder in and seal it. Hard to explain, but it looks no where near as secure as the injector flanges. Plus I already ordered the other rail.

Frank

BadAssPerformance
03-24-2008, 10:24 PM
If you already got another rail, dont even F with this one or ever bolt it back on the car.

...but for practice, did you wire brush the coating off it? and use flux? ;)

Frank
03-25-2008, 05:59 AM
If you already got another rail, dont even F with this one or ever bolt it back on the car.

...but for practice, did you wire brush the coating off it? and use flux? ;)

We.. that is the part of the problem. The bracket that you mount the fuel pressure regulator two gets in the way and you can't get any kind of brush down into the grove to clean it up. Unlike the injector flanges, the FPR flange is not completely flush up against the rail.

BadAssPerformance
03-25-2008, 08:21 AM
Sounds like you got yourself a nice conversation piece for the coffee table there :thumb: