PDA

View Full Version : Tranny re-build

Boogieman142
02-27-2006, 09:15 PM
ok, just wondering what bearings did everyone go with when they re-built their tranny, i got a full set of federal mogul. its a 543 if anyone is wondering.

SwiftTech
03-02-2006, 01:54 PM
where did you get your bearings? standard auto parts stores around here won't sell trans stuff.

Boogieman142
03-02-2006, 11:19 PM
i got mine at a local parts place.

Wink
03-03-2006, 06:27 PM
Wich parts store and what is the part number?

What all comes in the kit? Total with seals?

I'm extremely interested, cause I need to rebuild my 543 before it leaves me stranded. I'm having input and differential bearing noises. Not to mention the gear popping out of 2nd during decel. Nothing a pair of shift fork pads and a bearing kit won't fix.

Wink

Boogieman142
03-06-2006, 05:18 AM
It's not a parts chain but they sell lots of the good stuff. I'm not sure where a seller would be around you but you can also get them from here too, their prices are a little high in my opinion though.

http://www.drivetrain.com/newprocess5spfwd.html

93sundance
03-08-2006, 06:02 PM
The project has started! I have my spare trans in my living room. I'm not going to have time to rebuild it before april since I dont have the tools or experience. So I am just going to install the differential pin retainers, reuse the clutch if its not screwed, then bolt the trans on, then off to the track! I hope the 3rd gear syncro isnt too bad. I talked to the previous owner of the trans and he said its starting to go. If I shift real fast and it grinds bad, am I risking blowing the thing apart??? I cant slow down my shift to 3rd If I want to run 13s. I'll have more pics of my blown trans as soon as i pull it off the car.

93sundance
03-08-2006, 06:05 PM
Whoops. This isnt my thread. I posted that message in the wrong thread lol. Oh well.

The project has started! I have my spare trans in my living room. I'm not going to have time to rebuild it before april since I dont have the tools or experience. So I am just going to install the differential pin retainers, reuse the clutch if its not screwed, then bolt the trans on, then off to the track! I hope the 3rd gear syncro isnt too bad. I talked to the previous owner of the trans and he said its starting to go. If I shift real fast and it grinds bad, am I risking blowing the thing apart??? I cant slow down my shift to 3rd If I want to run 13s. I'll have more pics of my blown trans as soon as i pull it off the car.

Boogieman142
03-09-2006, 02:55 PM
lol, oh well

Wink
03-13-2006, 05:44 PM
Ok, I've been able to find these parts at my local parts store:

Front input shaft bearing
Rear input shaft bearing
Front input shaft seal
Differential bearings
Differential bearing seals

All these parts only come to $70. Besides getting an assortment of shims for the bearings, what else am I missing?

Boogieman142
03-13-2006, 07:21 PM
the diff pin retainers(dealer $4.50), Intermediate shaft bearings, for the shims, you will need to get a dial indicator because they can only be bought one at a time, races to go with associated bearings, gasket maker, that will start ya, the rest is depending on how it is when you get it apart.

Wink
03-13-2006, 08:06 PM
the diff pin retainers(dealer $4.50), Intermediate shaft bearings, for the shims, you will need to get a dial indicator because they can only be bought one at a time, races to go with associated bearings, gasket maker, that will start ya, the rest is depending on how it is when you get it apart.

The only thing I can't find are the intermediate bearings.

I'm planning on an OBX install, so diff pin savers are not entirely needed.

But I'll bet I need a 2nd gear shift fork pads, due to it slipping out of gear on decel. My syncros seem ok. So I'm not planning on replacing them at the moment. Races, I'm hoping come with the bearings. They don't show them seperately on the listings I've seen. The shim issue of only being able to purchase one at a time, really irritates me. Cause I wanted everything on hand when the trans is out. I was hoping to do this on a weekend. And most Stealership parts counters aren't open these days.

Thanks again,

Wink

Boogieman142
03-13-2006, 08:35 PM
yeah, i was thinking about using new shift pads and all forks but i am not 100% suredepends on their condition, i'm hoping to get another 130k out of the tranny so i prolly will. It already has 90k on it.