PDA

View Full Version : Wanted: wtb in or around pa

dingles9
03-16-2008, 01:19 PM
i'm looking for a TM for about $1000. i know i'm not getting a show car, but just want something decent. interior i'm not worried about, would like a decent ext, and has to run and drive.

would like 5 speed, but beggers can't be choosers. mainly looking towards mini or omni glh. but will also consider daytona, 1st gen baron, shadow, laser, sundance, acclaim, and spirit. willing to travel around 150 mi.

Xtrempickup
03-16-2008, 01:26 PM
you could rule out GLHs only because of rarity and price. the rest is obtainable, especially in your radius with driving. hit up ebay or look on craiglist and autotrader and your local streets, i see TMs all over when i drive out to PA

DC Turismo
03-16-2008, 02:28 PM
you could rule out GLHs only because of rarity and price. the rest is obtainable, especially in your radius with driving. hit up ebay or look on craiglist and autotrader and your local streets, i see TMs all over when i drive out to PA

I wouldn't be so fast to rule out finding an Omni under that price. GLH's and GLH-T's turn up every once in a while for below the mark he's looking at spending, specifically since most people still consider them to be just Omni's lol... :lol: Now a GLHS definitely won't be had for under $1,000, let alone $2k ! hahha There was a carb'd GLH (an 84 maybe?) around here perhaps a year ago or so for $200. Got junked, but still, they're out there! Just be patient and something always surfaces!

Best of luck for ya in your search though! Something will turn up, as many of us have found decent TM's for under a grand time and time again!

ANd actually, you have a decent amount of TM enthusiasts out your way man who could get your fixed up with something, whether it be Bruce Bender and Greg Kristofik (briceturbosports) or even Troy (turbojerk) and his gang of Susquehanna Valley guys. A little bit further south is a decent amount of Delware Valley TM'ers who could have some connections for you too!

JDAWG
03-16-2008, 02:48 PM
nothing you wanna haul away eh? (sorry im on that canadian thing)
http://sv-td.com/Forum/topic.asp?TID=157

Simsy
03-16-2008, 04:03 PM
i have an 89 lebaron turbo convertible. Auto 2.5 T1. It runs but needs a new turbo which i would include. I'm in Scranton PA. I'm looking to get $900 obo. let me knwo if your interested. thanks, MATT

dingles9
03-17-2008, 01:33 PM
sorry simsy, just not into those year barons. as for the sv-td free cars, nobody knows where he's at yet, but i may take a look. but i do need a car that runs and drives though, that's my issue.

:bump:

Simsy
03-17-2008, 10:44 PM
no problem and good luck with your search. I'm having the same problem as you:(

moparzrule
03-17-2008, 10:48 PM
Jdawg is in the Hagerstown MD area (same guy that posted in this thread is the one that owns the cars on SV-TD!), about 1.5-2 hours from harrisburg.
BTW, where are you in Harrisburg? I live in enola!

dingles9
03-18-2008, 12:42 PM
Jdawg is in the Hagerstown MD area (same guy that posted in this thread is the one that owns the cars on SV-TD!), about 1.5-2 hours from harrisburg.
BTW, where are you in Harrisburg? I live in enola!

wow that's a good ways to tow a car haha. but i'm out in allison hill.

Xtrempickup
03-19-2008, 05:08 PM
cmon, i towed a spirit r/t home 6 hrs from the middle of east bumblefock in NY and i didnt consider that a long drive. 1-2hrs is nothing when you are moving, i drove a total of 12 that day when i towed it home, good things arent always a stone's throw away

moparzrule
03-19-2008, 05:33 PM
4 hours each way is my limit for towing.

dingles9
03-20-2008, 12:00 AM
yeah...my friends and i all live in harrisburg city, and mainly drive sports cars, so we don't tow stuff. so i'd have to call a tow truck

moparzrule
03-20-2008, 08:25 AM
If you have AAA plus they tow up to 100 miles.

dingles9
03-20-2008, 04:05 PM
If you have AAA plus they tow up to 100 miles.

i had that for 3 yrs and never got anything out of it. i wish i woulda kept it!

moparzrule
03-21-2008, 08:35 AM
1 tow a year makes it all worth it. My dakota broke down on me a couple weeks ago about 25 miles away from home. Towing company's nowadays are insane. Used to be 50-75 bucks to tow you just like 5 years ago. 2 years ago my brother had an accident (i was with him) on the highway, about 4 miles from his house. A tow truck just happen to witness the accident so he stayed there incase we wanted a tow. He said ''since I'm here'' it'll only be $250. My brother and I looked at each other, trying to decide whether to look dumbfounded or to just laugh in his face. Literally like 4 miles straight shot on the highway, and he was already there!!!

dingles9
03-21-2008, 11:10 AM
1 tow a year makes it all worth it. My dakota broke down on me a couple weeks ago about 25 miles away from home. Towing company's nowadays are insane. Used to be 50-75 bucks to tow you just like 5 years ago. 2 years ago my brother had an accident (i was with him) on the highway, about 4 miles from his house. A tow truck just happen to witness the accident so he stayed there incase we wanted a tow. He said ''since I'm here'' it'll only be $250. My brother and I looked at each other, trying to decide whether to look dumbfounded or to just laugh in his face. Literally like 4 miles straight shot on the highway, and he was already there!!!

yeah my gf was in an accident about 3 weeks ago, and to tow it would cost $175 to go about 1 mile. couldn't believe that! it's insane any more. how do they sleep at night? haha

moparzrule
03-21-2008, 01:58 PM
how do they sleep at night?

In a bed of money probably :mad:

briceturbosports
03-22-2008, 08:11 AM
before you judge think of what it cost just for or trucks to sit and wait for people to smash up there car (and most because they did something dumb) we have three trucks the little ones lic plate cost us about 200.00 a year the two rollbacks cost us 4oo.oo each + they both have to be inspection twice a year 200.00 more now to the insurance it cost us over 12000.00 a year so thats 1000.00 a month and thats not including fuel yet thats about 600.00 to 1000.00 a month and thats not including any repairs the trucks may need and talk about alot of money for parts and we tow 24/7 no days off and people getting you out of bed at 2 am when its 6 deg. :mad: think how you feel if some drunk got you out of bed because he hit something . think of that next time you need a tow ?

moparzrule
03-22-2008, 04:39 PM
You work for a shop, I'm talking a towing outfit that ONLY does towing. You do very little towing to only use $600-$1000 of fuel per month.
Most towing company guys make atleast 8 runs a day. Even at only $200 a each one, thats $1600 per day. Thats about $48,000 per month just based on 8 runs a day at $200 each. I'm sure sometimes it's more than 8 a day, and some companies are more than $200.
OK lets see, fuel. 8 runs, 50 miles each sound like a reasonable average? 400 miles a day, truck gets what, 6-8 MPG? Lets go with 6. 67 gallons a day, $4 a gallon....$270 per day, $8100 a month.
OK, lets see, $8100(fuel)+1000(insurance)+lets make it $900 for registration and inspections to make it an even $10K a month in costs. I'll get to maintenance and repairs in a minute.
I have no idea how much tow truck drivers make, I'm sure it's pretty good money since you are up at 2am all the time. I know some guys are based off commission, but I don't know how much per tow they get.
Even so, at bare minimum you have $38,000 per MONTH left to pay the guy and truck maintenance/repairs. I mean, one month pays the guys salary for a year probably.
Don't forget, towing places charge OBSCENE rates to hold cars at their place so they are making plenty of money there too. $30 per day, $900 a month! Now most of the time insurance companies pay that, so what do you care? Oh, I CARE since it makes everybodies insurance goes up. Most cars stay at the towing place for like a week or so until things get figured out, so chalk up another $200 per car to the added profit.
So, don't feed me this BS about insurance being 12K a year blah blah blah. Towing companies are RAKING it in.

briceturbosports
03-23-2008, 08:50 AM
You work for a shop, I'm talking a towing outfit that ONLY does towing. You do very little towing to only use $600-$1000 of fuel per month.
Most towing company guys make atleast 8 runs a day. Even at only $200 a each one, thats $1600 per day. Thats about $48,000 per month just based on 8 runs a day at $200 each. I'm sure sometimes it's more than 8 a day, and some companies are more than $200.
OK lets see, fuel. 8 runs, 50 miles each sound like a reasonable average? 400 miles a day, truck gets what, 6-8 MPG? Lets go with 6. 67 gallons a day, $4 a gallon....$270 per day, $8100 a month.
OK, lets see, $8100(fuel)+1000(insurance)+lets make it $900 for registration and inspections to make it an even $10K a month in costs. I'll get to maintenance and repairs in a minute.
I have no idea how much tow truck drivers make, I'm sure it's pretty good money since you are up at 2am all the time. I know some guys are based off commission, but I don't know how much per tow they get.
Even so, at bare minimum you have $38,000 per MONTH left to pay the guy and truck maintenance/repairs. I mean, one month pays the guys salary for a year probably.
Don't forget, towing places charge OBSCENE rates to hold cars at their place so they are making plenty of money there too. $30 per day, $900 a month! Now most of the time insurance companies pay that, so what do you care? Oh, I CARE since it makes everybodies insurance goes up. Most cars stay at the towing place for like a week or so until things get figured out, so chalk up another $200 per car to the added profit.
So, don't feed me this BS about insurance being 12K a year blah blah blah. Towing companies are RAKING it in.

oh and i am the shop only me no other techs the towing is 24/7
and yes a lot of guys are big rip off's but a lot aren't. my boss is 69 he has towed for 40 years and still has no money to retire so just don't think that all of us are rip offs yes the storage thing looks nice on paper but you foget all the cars we get stuck with and don't get paid for. work 3 or 4 hrs on a rollover clean up all the crap and the people don't come for it and if you don't have a salvage lic we have to get the car reported as abanded car the go to the salvage yard and we don't get a dime. whos going to pay 1000.00 for a junk cars thats worth 300.00 in scrap ? most towwing is done by mom & pop shops so don't go saying were all ripoffs. the guys who are don't stay in busness long :thumb:

moparzrule
03-23-2008, 09:37 AM
OK, I'll say the shops aren't ripoff's, just the towing companies.
Before I had AAA there's an old retired guy around here out of Carlisle. Just has a rollback, and like I said he's retired so it's all he does. He used to charge $50-75 for a tow. Might be $75-100 now due to fuel prices. He was the only reasonable one around.

dingles9
03-23-2008, 09:56 AM
yeah i'm checking a van out that was for sale on here a long time ago. he said he'd tow it for me for $80 down here from allentown area. that ain't bad at all

moparzrule
03-23-2008, 12:04 PM
Yeah Csx254's van, looks to be in really good shape besides the engine of course. $80, good deal.

dingles9
03-24-2008, 10:53 AM
anyone know if a VNT head would fit on a 2.5 mini by chance??

moparzrule
03-24-2008, 11:10 AM
There's nothing specific about a VNT head, it's just a swirl like any 86+ turbo head.

dingles9
03-24-2008, 11:27 PM
Yeah Csx254's van, looks to be in really good shape besides the engine of course. $80, good deal.

i checked that one out, he wouldn't answer anything emails i sent. so i stopped bugging him. i'm actually looking at another one, and hoping to get it by this weekend.