PDA

View Full Version : Intepid(2.7)

WVRampage
03-15-2008, 10:39 PM
My brother has a 98 with the 2.7 as stated above,for a while now it has been making a noise like tha idle pulley going bad.Yesterday my mom called and said it had over heated and was steaming out the exhaust so over last night and today I pulled the front cover and the heads to have them checked.The gear on the waterpump had come off the shaft and that started it all.Have any of you had any experiences working on ones like this.I know they are a pain to work on.

ohiorob
03-16-2008, 07:43 AM
I got one in the shop right now. putting in a crank and new bearings. what do you need to know?

JDAWG
03-16-2008, 07:55 AM
they sludge up like a ------------. I hear you can swap in a 3.2 or 3.5 with no problems. Check out www.dodgeintrepid.net

edit - they are ---- engines

90Dodgevnt
03-16-2008, 08:25 AM
+1

Do the 3.2/3.5 swap. Alot less problems then the 2.7

They should've had a bazillion recalls for the 2.7....

JDAWG
03-16-2008, 08:28 AM
recalls are only for customer safety, not customer satifaction.

dodgeshadowchik
03-16-2008, 10:17 AM
agreed. Do an engine swap if you want to keep the car. 2.7's are expensive and troublesome.

90Dodgevnt
03-16-2008, 10:24 AM
Meh, it's semantices really.

The engine has had problems since day one, and Chrysler has done literally nothing to help rectify it.

I love the Intrepids, dont get me wong, but they really shot themselves in the foot with that engine...

Taken from : http://www.dodgechryslerengineproblems.com

From 1998-2004 Dodge / Chrysler 2.7L Engines are prone to Oil Sludge often caused by internal coolant leakage that has to do with the design of the Water Pump that allows coolant to enter the Engine over time and cause oil sludge, experts at a well known remanufacturing company say. The second common cause of engine sludge is from poor oil circulation caused by oil passages that are too narrow causing the oil to wear down more rapidly unlike normal engines. Another contributing oil sludge factor is possibly due to an inadequately designed PCV system that can also accelerate engine oil breakdown, which Chrysler later made improvements to for the 2005 model year along with other changes knowledgeable sources state. Although Chrysler is aware and there is nothing consumers could have done to cause this, Chrysler still regularly blames consumers for 2.7L Engine Oil Sludge.

To do a redesign after the fact was all good a well, but those who had already had engine issues, etc. we left high and dry when it came to $2k++ for repairs.

dodgeshadowchik
03-16-2008, 10:43 AM
What is interesting to note is the Stratus cars with the 2.7L really were unaffected. I'm wondering why the LH bodies (FWD, but longitutaly mounted engine) were plagued by sludgie engine failures and chain failures, but the JR's and other FWD transverse-mounted engine cars were ok.

WVRampage
03-16-2008, 11:44 AM
I am going to put the redesigned chain and pump in it that mopar offeres and have the heads checked as it will be a little cheaper than a swap since there is not any sludge in this thing.

shadow88
03-16-2008, 02:20 PM
What is interesting to note is the Stratus cars with the 2.7L really were unaffected. I'm wondering why the LH bodies (FWD, but longitutaly mounted engine) were plagued by sludgie engine failures and chain failures, but the JR's and other FWD transverse-mounted engine cars were ok.

EVERY 2.7l sludge or engine failure I've seen can be directly linked to lack of scheduled oil changes. They have to be right on time if not early. My dad's sebring (JR body) and my friends dads intrepid both have been problem and sludge free for over 250,000 kms, with no noises, or anything.

A suggestion to vw rampage is to replace the chain guides and replace the hydraulic tensioner while you're in there. I wouldn't want to do that job twice either.

lametec
03-17-2008, 04:28 PM
I bought a '99 Intrepid with a blown 2.7. Plan was to put a 3.2 in it, but since I'll have the 2.7 out I"m gonna look into fixing it. Depending on how badly messed up it is, of course.

I was thinking I'll add a remote mount oil filter using a PH1 size filter, and an oil cooler too. This will add some oil capacity (stock is only 4 qts, I think) and keep the temps down... hopefully that'll be enough to keep the 2.7 alive.

WVRampage
03-17-2008, 06:14 PM
EVERY 2.7l sludge or engine failure I've seen can be directly linked to lack of scheduled oil changes. They have to be right on time if not early. My dad's sebring (JR body) and my friends dads intrepid both have been problem and sludge free for over 250,000 kms, with no noises, or anything.

A suggestion to vw rampage is to replace the chain guides and replace the hydraulic tensioner while you're in there. I wouldn't want to do that job twice either.

heads are at the machine shop and Im planing on replacing the chain,guides,tentioner,waterpump and the water tube through the block.