PDA

View Full Version : Ho-made down pipe

fastasleep
03-15-2008, 10:29 PM
Here is the DP I made from the pipe and steel I bought from a vendor from here on the board. No laughing, however! I am not a welder; I am a guy who adheres two pieces of metal together using a welder (barely).

I am using a used Turbonetics Evolution External WG. Let me know what you guys think.

-Les

cordes
03-15-2008, 10:31 PM
Wow, that looks really nice.

WVRampage
03-15-2008, 10:42 PM
That doesnt look to bad at all.

fastasleep
03-15-2008, 11:08 PM
Thanks! Welding the inside of the pipe on the short side radius sucked. Any pointers on how to do that?

-Les

Aries_Turbo
03-15-2008, 11:12 PM
looks good. just make sure you port that wastegate hole in the turbine housing heavily so that it flows enough.

Brian

turbovanmanČ
03-15-2008, 11:33 PM
Is that a good place to vent/feed the external wastegate?

Looks good though, :clap:

I would make sure you use the correct springs for the minimum opening, looks like it wil be a b*tch to get at later. BTW, the instructions are wrong for the springs, I found that one out the hard way, lol!

fastasleep
03-15-2008, 11:41 PM
I really don't know if it is the best configuration. I do know that making it was pretty inexpensive, so if I have to change something it won't cost a ton of money. Hey, if it doesn't work I'll try something else. I am planning to vent the WG further down, but not reintroduce it to the main exhaust dp.
This is a 7 psi spring, so we'll see how it works out.

-Les

Aries_Turbo
03-16-2008, 10:23 AM
the only better way that i can see to integrate an external wastegate to the turbine housing is to bore a hole tangential to the curvature of the turbine housing and weld in a pipe with a flange. basically make the wastegate inline with the exhaust flow so that expelling the gasses are easier. you have it at a right angle which will work but youll have to make sure all the passages from the turbine housing are ported enough that you dont get creep.

heres a thought that i just had about wastegates integrated back into the downpipe.... pipe it so that the dump tube is welded into the DP similar to an exhaust evac system... so the exhaust potentially draws vacuum when the wastegate is open, drawing the gasses out better.

Brian

t3rse
03-16-2008, 12:08 PM
like 'is?

http://hubcap.clemson.edu/~dberry/2.4swap/downpipe_wastegate%20003.jpg
http://hubcap.clemson.edu/~dberry/2.4swap/finishedDP_final_drip_rails%20003.jpg

fastasleep
03-16-2008, 12:16 PM
I think you are right about the angle; the air has to make a 180 to waste, but I was limited on room. We'll see if it works, but if not I'll make changes.

BTW Simon, I put the engine in the van this morning and all looks good. I have to take the DP off to make a small adjustment, but it shouldn't be that hard to take off.

-Les

GLHS592
03-16-2008, 12:58 PM
Looks professionally made.

turbovanmanČ
03-16-2008, 01:40 PM
I think you are right about the angle; the air has to make a 180 to waste, but I was limited on room. We'll see if it works, but if not I'll make changes.

BTW Simon, I put the engine in the van this morning and all looks good. I have to take the DP off to make a small adjustment, but it shouldn't be that hard to take off.

-Les

Cool, keep us posted and more pics. :thumb:

t3rse
03-16-2008, 03:30 PM

-Les

i'm sure it'll work fine. may be a pain to change the starter in car though....

fastasleep
03-16-2008, 07:52 PM
The only problem I had with putting the starter on was having to wrap it with heat shielding after I had it into position. I had to take the heat shielding off to remove the solenoid wiring because I kinda have to manuever it into place, then reroute the wiring.
I have very little left to do. I ran out of gas for the welder, so I have to take the bottle in tomorrow. I'll just weld the O2 into place at work. I took the DP off in about 10 minutes before I sat the van off the jack stands; it wasn't too bad.
I put the new radiator in this afternoon. I don't have much room, but it is going to work well. I have to figure out hoses for the top and bottom.

Aries_Turbo
03-17-2008, 12:11 AM
like 'is?

http://hubcap.clemson.edu/~dberry/2.4swap/downpipe_wastegate%20003.jpg
http://hubcap.clemson.edu/~dberry/2.4swap/finishedDP_final_drip_rails%20003.jpg

yeah more or less. i dunno if id put it there or lower down.

i wonder if it would make a difference if it was on the inside or the outside dia of the bend.

Brian

2.216VTurbo
03-17-2008, 01:22 AM
Nice arrangement:clap: Way to make a TIII/univerasal housing work on a TI/TII manifold:D Can you get any more heat out of your welder or are you maxed out? If she's pegged on WOT, slow down your wire some for a little better penetration.

turbovanmanČ
03-17-2008, 01:34 AM
If she's pegged on WOT, slow down your wire some for a little better penetration.

:lol: :nod: :partywoot: :hail:

2.216VTurbo
03-17-2008, 01:48 AM
One track mind Simon:amen:

Didn't occur to me when I wrote it it *could* be perverted by a certain kinda individual:p Fatherhood hasn't tamed your urges much I see:D

turbovanmanČ
03-17-2008, 01:51 AM
One track mind Simon:amen:

Didn't occur to me when I wrote it it *could* be perverted by a certain kinda individual:p Fatherhood hasn't tamed your urges much I see:D

Hehehehe. I had a kid, I am not dead, :eyebrows: :clap:

t3rse
03-17-2008, 05:38 PM
yeah more or less. i dunno if id put it there or lower down.

i wonder if it would make a difference if it was on the inside or the outside dia of the bend.

Brian

inside it runs down a bit before terminating, so it exits before the next bend. due to packaging there really wasn't any other way....

realistically, to do it right the pipe would need to reduce in diameter to increase gas speed, but then i'd have a restriction!

btw, here's a pie cut piece i just did for an i/c bend. 100* with 5 20* sections. it is very smooth inside.

http://hubcap.clemson.edu/~dberry/2.4swap/pie_cut_ic_to_tb%20003.jpg

Aries_Turbo
03-17-2008, 05:46 PM
cool ^^^

Brian

fastasleep
03-17-2008, 06:26 PM
T3rse, I dig that bend! Just mitred pipe and TIG'd it?

-Les

2.216Vturbo, my welder wasn't maxed out (I have a Millermatic 210 here at the house, and it was set on 3), but I was afraid that if I took the heat up it would burn through the pipe. I tacked all the way around it, then took it to work to finish it with TIG-I think it came out better than if I had MIG'd the whole thing.

-Les

t3rse
03-18-2008, 12:55 AM
miter and mig...don't have a tig unit...yet....

i didn't really have a choice. the srt intake points into the trans and to use the 3" i/c pipe i had to come up with a very tight bend.