PDA

View Full Version : LC-1 and VEI gauge problems

Clay
03-14-2008, 09:10 PM
A friend of mine has the LC-1 on his SRT-4 with a VEI gauge that another friend of our installed. Initially the gauge seemed to work ok, but after a couple of days it went screwy, not reading correct a/f ratio. Ive played with it since I have the most experience with the system. Tried to recalibrate, but values were still off.

Today I found out the thing was hooked up to the analog 1 wire, which is 0 -> 1 volts. His gauge is setup for 0 -> 5 volts, so I thought we should start over. We connected the analog 2 wire to the gauge, did the standard reset, and recalibration and now nothing. We dont even get a blink from the led at all (yes, the led is good, check it already).

checked every connection, and they were all correct.

Right now I have the entire thing out of the car and Im going to do some bench testing to see if I can get it to work at all, but Im wondering if the thing is just hosed up itself. This unit is only 2 or 3 weeks old.

any ideas?

thanks,
clay

risen
03-14-2008, 09:21 PM
The first LC1 I setup my bro and I received, for some reason, wasn't setup for gasoline. It had some really strange value for stoic (like 3000:1 or something). Did you guys connect a laptop to the controller and see what the fuel type was set to?

GLHNSLHT2
03-14-2008, 09:32 PM
Well I was gonna say hook the LC-1 up to the laptop and see what the virtual gauge is saying vs the real gauge.

Risen my XD16 gauge went bad and would swap the setting to like 1427:1 a/f ratio's as well when it got cold. I had to send the gauge back. But Innovate's Customer service was top notch and they sent me a whole new gauge.

risen
03-14-2008, 09:48 PM
Logworks would probably show you something really odd for AFR if that setting is messed up, but I know for sure that the LM programmer showed the bad setting. It's a quick test, either way.

Maybe the XD-16 was what did it to ours too, since that car that had that problem has an XD-16 in it. It's been good ever since we set it correctly, but megasquirt in the GLH-T was *NOT* happy about the afr's going crazy. Luckily I've never had send anything back, just the one hiccup.

Clay
03-14-2008, 09:55 PM
well, I think thats another part of the problem. They did all kinds of stuff with the laptop. So Im going to try and set this thing up and getting working off the car to make sure its right before I go messing with it on the car.

thing is I did the reset (power unit up with out sensor connected) that is suppose to reset everything to factory specs.

GLHNSLHT2
03-14-2008, 11:48 PM
When mine reset that afr to the funky setting it wouldn't mess with the way the LC-1 ran the car or displayed on the virtual gauge. But the XD would read funky.

Clay
03-15-2008, 02:26 PM
ok, Ive got the LC1 hooked up on the bench.

All the wiring is now correct, and Im pretty sure it was before.

Nothing works.

1) the sensor will not heat up at all.

2) I tried to reset the LC1, but nothing happens.

3) tried to calibrate the sensor, but nothing happens. No lights, nada.

4) I measured the output of the analog 1, and it is putting out 5 volts when ever the power is on, all the time.

5) I tried to connect to log works to see what the LC1 was reading, but I cant get logworks to connect. (YES, the serial and terminator are in the right spots)

6) I tried to connect with the LM programmer, but I get nothing there either. It searches for a device, but never does anything else.

So Im wondering if the LC1 is bad.

What is the typical result if just the sensor is dead?

Clay
03-15-2008, 03:17 PM
Ok, Ive left this thing turned on for over an hour and the sensor is now warm to the touch. If I remember correctly these things will burn you once they are warmed up. So something weird is going on.

also, when I connect it, no lights indicating a warm up was completed.

clay

GLHNSLHT2
03-15-2008, 03:32 PM
weird.

mpboost
03-15-2008, 09:30 PM
Probably a bad LC-1 unit. It can happen, and they can go bad even if they worked previously.

I helped a friend build his car, and he used to have an LC-1 in it. If I remember correctly he had a lot of erratic problems like you are having (and he even tried replacing the sensor), so Innovate replaced his LC-1. A couple months later the replacement broke as well, so he just got rid of it and switched to the same wideband I had been running (PLX Devices SM-AFR).

Anyways, I would just send it back to Innovate. They will probably send you a new one.

Speedeuphoria
03-16-2008, 12:23 AM
Well I would thinkk it must be something with the LC-1 also.

When you do get it going, you can change the VEI gauge settings for what voltages correlate with A/F's. I have the same setup along with an LMA-3

Heres the info on the VEI gauge, with manual
http://www.veisystems.com/uva-m.html

risen
03-16-2008, 12:17 PM
The sensor should be so hot it burns you once it's warmed up, and it should only take 5-10 seconds to get there. I dunno about the cause of the problem, however I do remember that there were 2 types of LC-1's, based upon the number of wires coming out of the controller (one had 6 wires and one had 7, for a seprate heater ground). Did you guys double check that you have either the newer or older type and that it's wired correctly for that type? Other than that, my guess would be bad unit @ this point.

Clay
03-16-2008, 12:58 PM
this is the newer 6 wire version. Its hooked up to a 12 volt power supply in my house right now, and still wont work. Cant connect a computer to it, nothing. One more local guy is going to give it a look, then its going back.

zin
03-17-2008, 01:05 AM
this is the newer 6 wire version. Its hooked up to a 12 volt power supply in my house right now, and still wont work.

+1 to the LC-1 being bad and to send it back to the manufacture to check out/replace. Seems most likely.

One side note however, if the 12V power supply isn't capable of many amps, the sensor heat-up might be blamed on a lack of adequate power; unstable power supplies can do some wacky things. It would be a shame to waste all the time for the unit to go back and forth only to find that nothing is wrong...

Clay
03-17-2008, 07:21 AM
the power supply is capable of a lot more than the 5 amp inline fuse. So Im guessing its not an issue.

zin
03-17-2008, 02:40 PM
the power supply is capable of a lot more than the 5 amp inline fuse. So I'm guessing its not an issue.

OK, I was thinking the heater circuit would be alot more than that and might be taxing the power supply.