PDA

View Full Version : a555 install question / shifter options

XTREME_TJ
02-27-2006, 11:54 AM
ok the stock 5 speed tranny in my 86 glh is shot, so with help of a local board member i acquired an automatic A555 tranny.

is there anything i need to modify in the vehicle or will it be a direct bolt on to the existing motor

also anyone running an aftermarket automatic shifter, if so show some pics please

TurboGLH
02-27-2006, 03:57 PM
ok the stock 5 speed tranny in my 86 glh is shot, so with help of a local board member i acquired an automatic A555 tranny.

is there anything i need to modify in the vehicle or will it be a direct bolt on to the existing motor

also anyone running an aftermarket automatic shifter, if so show some pics please

Well, First question would be, is it an auto or a 555? If it's a 555, you need new axles, shifter, cables, and a day or so to get it swaped. If it's an auto, you need all the above as well as a TB with a kickdown arm and a kickdown cable.

tryingbe
02-27-2006, 04:34 PM
No such thing as A555 auto.

cordes
02-27-2006, 09:55 PM
The auto would be an A413.

XTREME_TJ
02-28-2006, 09:07 AM
sorry about that i jumped the gun, yes it is a manual a555 tranny

you have to bare with me i am new to the turbo dodges. i can tear down and s10 and rebuild it in no time, so i am just getting spun around with the lingo

so yes i do have the A555. now i am lookn for an aftermarket shifter, along with any other upgrades i can do. thanks for you all patience im sure i will learn alot from this site

tryingbe
02-28-2006, 11:12 AM
As far as I know, there are no aftermarket shifter for A555.

As for upgrade, you can get a bearing plate, and LSD for it.

XTREME_TJ
02-28-2006, 12:04 PM
As far as I know, there are no aftermarket shifter for A555.

As for upgrade, you can get a bearing plate, and LSD for it.

any links as far as where i could find these parts?

The S is Silent
02-28-2006, 01:43 PM
The a555 won't drop right in. You'll either need to modify the shift mechanism to make it a rod-shift trans, or you can ditch the rods and get a cable shifter and shift cables. The dogbone mount that used to be on your a525 is also no good. You'll need to switch to a bobble strutt and either use a long bolt through the old bracket, or weld a new bracket for the bobble strutt to the K-frame. You'll also need the axles from an 88 automatic omni. Before you start, make sure you have everything. Make sure the trans has all the brackets...there's two of them. Bobble strut bracket bolts to the back and cable retaining bracket bolts to the top. Also make sure you get cable retaining clips from Ma Mopar before you start, as these things will slow down the project if you have to go out looking for them. There are 2 different kinds of cable clips...cable to trans and cable to shifter. Get 2 of each. You'll most likely have to go to the parts dept and search for them on the schematic that they pull up. Trust me on this, I know.

Kevin did an awesome write-up about how to use your stock interior pieces with the shadow a555 shifter and cables.

As for making the trans stronger, it depends on how much power you'll be making. If you are staying near stock or TII level, you won't break it, but if you're making power, you might want to consider the bearing retainer plate sold by Omni-potent on here or www.FWDperformance.com. If you are going to be making upwards around 300 hp, you could consider getting the 3.50fd parts from an a520 trans and make a hybrid. This way, you can use any differential offered for the 1g neons. It's not terribly difficult, but it's not cake either. There is a lot of room for forgetting stuff, and that has the potential to slow a brotha down.

XTREME_TJ
02-28-2006, 01:52 PM
thanks for your help, starting the search tonight

boost geek
02-28-2006, 08:22 PM
http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=910

tryingbe
03-01-2006, 02:13 PM
any links as far as where i could find these parts?

OMNI-Potent also makes the bearing plate. As for LSD, do a search and you'll find what you need.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1088&highlight=bearing+plate+a555