PDA

View Full Version : 83 Shelby Charger to 87 GLHS wiring

20w/ashelby
02-27-2006, 11:44 AM
Will the 86 Shelby Charger harness plug right into the 83 SC harness. I'm swapping everything from my TII GLHS converted Charger to my 83 and wanted to make sure it would plug in before I got halfway and got stuck.

8valves
02-27-2006, 11:52 AM
If you burn the car to the ground first, sure! Just kidding, I still have no idea. I need to go back to class now though... good thing I'm in welding and I'm up at the commons... we're out of metal, it isn't my fault!

AM

tvanlant
02-27-2006, 02:28 PM
Not sure, but earlier than 86 have different electronics than 86 and up, including distributor and a few other things.

WVRampage
02-27-2006, 04:22 PM
I think the harnesses in the dash and under the hood need changed out if all you want to do is plug them in.

bobr19
02-27-2006, 10:00 PM
I think the harnesses in the dash and under the hood need changed out if all you want to do is plug them in. use every wire under the hood and under the dash from the 87--83 was carb--nothing will be the same except maybe the plugs for the guages--bobr19

WVRampage
02-27-2006, 10:03 PM
use every wire under the hood and under the dash from the 87--83 was carb--nothing will be the same except maybe the plugs for the guages--bobr19

You could cut and splice but if you have both its gona be easyer just to swap every thing.

20w/ashelby
03-08-2006, 11:34 PM
basically i just wanna swap engine harness into the SC. I would think headlights, tailights and dash, etc will work fine

WVRampage
03-09-2006, 03:49 AM
If you change every thing out it should work fine I dont thing the things in the dash changed that much and if it did you should have the part from the other car to plug it in to and im sure it will bolt up the same, if that makes sence.

20w/ashelby
03-09-2006, 11:36 AM
Thats what I was thinking. As long as I swap the stuff to make the engine run it'll work ok. It wouldn't be cost effective to change dash/lights, etc wiring.

rbryant
03-13-2006, 02:29 PM
I used an 87 NA dash harness in my GLHS. Everything was there.

I am not sure if the earlier harnesses had provisions for a fuel pump like the 87 harness did though so you might want to get a dash harness from a newer car. The fuel pump harness will also be needed and can be pulled from a turbo lbody or TBI omni.

The underhood harness has to be from a GLHT or turbo SC.

Keep in mind that the inside logic module wiring is actually suplemental (it could be considered to be part of the engine harness). It does not connect to the dash harness at all.

Of course anything can be spliced in. I am currently running a smec harness from a lebaron. That is probably easier in your case because you then don't need to cut a hole for the logic module wiring.

20w/ashelby
03-15-2006, 06:29 PM
well I have a complete SC with all wiring so I'm just going to go that route.

Una
03-15-2006, 10:17 PM
That's the best route, swap the dashes too, as the '83 dash sucks, and the '87 cluster won't fit in the '83 dash. The '83 cluster, even if it's the "fancy" ralleye one won't have a volt gauge, or seperate check engine/oil warning light.. I sacrificed the oil light to get a check engine light when I put an '89 caravan harness in my old '83 SC..