PDA

View Full Version : 3 inch swing valve?

jake
02-27-2006, 11:13 AM
Can I get a 3 inch swing valve on my SC6152S, on my t3? The standard (Ford style I guess) is only 2 inch. I could have it machined out to 2 3/4 but I think it would get pretty thin in places and I am worried about cracking. I'm pretty sure I can't run the TU 3 inch swingvalve on a t3 but I'm not really sure why? What happens if you try to run a t2 swing valve on a t3? I would like to stay with a internal wastgate. Guess I should mock it up. Anyway I will appreciate any input and ideas, thank you.

86Shelby
03-02-2006, 09:46 PM
ATP Turbo recently came out with an amazing 3" very high flow swingvalve for T3 turbine housings. As long as you are using the regular Garret T3 5 bolt housing it will work. Stock Mopar housings have a different bolt pattern for the swingvalve than regulat T3s do. With the modular V band connection it will be a breeze to get a nice 90* 3" pipe to meet up with your downpipe.

http://www.atpturbo.com/root/releases/release103105.htm

Pat
03-02-2006, 11:49 PM
I'm working on a set up for the ATP swingvalve now. It's a nice piece....I'll let you know how it works out.

iTurbo
03-03-2006, 04:03 AM
Nice! What turbo you using it with?

Pat
03-03-2006, 07:11 AM
At this point, it's still the same 50 trim/stage III that I had been running.

2.216VTurbo
03-04-2006, 12:02 AM
Nice Pat. In the next pic can you turn that head so we can look INSIDE the exhaust port and grade your work?:D

Pat
03-04-2006, 08:16 AM
Nice Pat. In the next pic can you turn that head so we can look INSIDE the exhaust port and grade your work?:D

:thumb:

iTurbo
03-06-2006, 12:33 AM
I noticed the first bend on your custom downpipe appears to be made from a cut 180' bend, and then a 45' bend. Do you think that any of the modular V-band downpipe sections from ATP would work to custom fabricate a downpipe for a Spirit R/T, or is there just not enough room?

I was hoping to go this route with my Spirit R/T and I was hoping that the 'short leg' 90' modular v-band would work for the first section. Your downpipe looks fantastic though.

Also, how long is your flex section? O2 sensor?

Pat
03-06-2006, 07:21 AM
Thanks. They are both cuts from 180 degree bends. I did look at some of the other stuff that ATP had but from what I could tell when eyeballing the area I had to work with, I really needed 120 or so for that first bend to clearl the PS pump and then get back under the turbo. ATP did have a tight radius 120, but it was so tight, I thought it would be a flow issue. Plus, I already had a few 180 degree 4" radius bends.

The flex pipe I used is a 6" piece. I run a solid bobble strut, so there's not much engine movement. I think the 6" piece will be enough. O2 bung is going in the top of the downpipe a few inches out of the flange.

The only other thing that I noticed yesterday is that I think I'll need to support the downpipe a bit better so it doesn't move at the vband clamp on the turbo. I'm going to make a support bracket and run it off of the back of the block. Nothing fancy, just tab on the pipe where I can bolt on a support bracket. I should have it all finished up next weekend...I'll get some pictures when it's done.

4sfed4
03-14-2006, 02:27 PM

Pat -

I like the "at this point" caveat!

turbovanmanČ
03-14-2006, 02:31 PM
Thats awesome Pat, :thumb:

The only true bolt up item that lets you use the stock DP is from Forward Motion. The crappy thing is its 2.5 inch and you can't use a 3 inch DP. What a bunch of boneheads, all that R@D for 2.5inch, :censored: I am using one and trying to find someone to hog it out so I can use my 3 inch DP.

Guys are running 11's with it so it must be ok.

http://www.forwardmotioninc.com/html/catalog/turbochargers.htm

Its on the bottom of the page.

4sfed4
03-14-2006, 09:55 PM
I think Ive posted this somewhere before, but with my old R/T (which had a 2.75" downpipe) when the car was at about 350-375 whp with the 50 trim hybrid, I measured backpressure in the downpipe right at the turbine exit. My gauge didnt even flicker....it was less than 1 psi. Now, Im sure that bigger is still better, but I assumed it was not worth the extra effort and expense.

Now the turbine inlet pressure...that was another story!

GLHSKEN
03-14-2006, 09:58 PM
Pat -

You are Alive Larry!!! GREAT pic by the coconut tree!!

Try Gasketmaster on this board....

turbovanmanČ
03-14-2006, 09:59 PM
I think Ive posted this somewhere before, but with my old R/T (which had a 2.75" downpipe) when the car was at about 350-375 whp with the 50 trim hybrid, I measured backpressure in the downpipe right at the turbine exit. My gauge didnt even flicker....it was less than 1 psi. Now, Im sure that bigger is still better, but I assumed it was not worth the extra effort and expense.

Now the turbine inlet pressure...that was another story!

Thats with the FM unit correct?

As always Larry, a wealth of info, :nod:

GLHSKEN
03-15-2006, 12:00 AM
Larry,. Great "chat", tonight. Find a cruise, lets go.... pick the line and time...

4sfed4
03-15-2006, 11:13 AM
You are Alive Larry!!! GREAT pic by the coconut tree!!

I was trying to teach Savannah to climb it and grab pops some free Coconuts!

4sfed4
03-15-2006, 11:14 AM
Thats with the FM unit correct?

As always Larry, a wealth of info, :nod:

I was too cheap to use something like the FM unit :D

Mine was a standard T3 swingvalve (2.25" outlet) that was hogged out to 2.75" and a 2.75" downturn pipe welded to it by Rick Diogo. It worked like a champ.

4sfed4
03-15-2006, 11:16 AM
Larry,. Great "chat", tonight. Find a cruise, lets go.... pick the line and time...

Sure was! Glad all is well up there.

After seeing the Titanic......I am queasy about cruises :o Maybe there is one that never leaves sight of the shoreline :D

Frank
03-15-2006, 11:37 AM
Larry!
Glad to see you here! WOW! Awesome!

Pat,
That is my same plan for my SC6152S for my 2.4L project. However I want to modify one for 4" exhaust.

turbovanmanČ
03-15-2006, 01:09 PM
I was too cheap to use something like the FM unit :D

Mine was a standard T3 swingvalve (2.25" outlet) that was hogged out to 2.75" and a 2.75" downturn pipe welded to it by Rick Diogo. It worked like a champ.

Hahhhaa, my bad, what was I thinking, :confused: :eyebrows:

GLHSKEN
03-15-2006, 08:16 PM
Sure was! Glad all is well up there.

After seeing the Titanic......I am queasy about cruises :o Maybe there is one that never leaves sight of the shoreline :D

LOL then an all inclusive carribean resort!!!

Directconnection
03-15-2006, 09:21 PM

Stage III on a 2.2? How does that work for you, Pat?

I know someone with a Stage III wheel on a 2.2 8v and it had pretty good spool.

Directconnection
03-15-2006, 09:28 PM
I was trying to teach Savannah to climb it and grab pops some free Coconuts!

Hey Larry! Glad to see you are a member as you are more than welcome here.

turbovanmanČ
03-15-2006, 09:40 PM
Stage III on a 2.2? How does that work for you, Pat?

I know someone with a Stage III wheel on a 2.2 8v and it had pretty good spool.

Don't forget Steve, thats an R/T engine, :nod:

Pat
03-16-2006, 07:20 AM
Pat -

Hey Larry.....you like that, eh? If there is one thing I've learned about myself, it's that I should never say never when it comes to being done with these junkboxes. :-)

Steve: Yes, it's a stage III. With the 16v, spools just fine. It starts building boost early and then rockets up once it passes 10 psi, which on a 3rd gear pull on level ground, happens at around 3800ish rpm.

The FM unit I had on there did work pretty well, and for what FM *used* to charge for it, it was a good deal. What they charge today may be a bit too much in my opinion. I had mine off the car off not to long ago and measured the inner diameter of the elbow, and it was really more like 2 3/8", so I thought I'd give this a try. IIt's all welded up and on the car...fits great. Just need to finish buttoning up some other items before I can take it out to see how it does. I have other pics, but I have to download them from the camera still. I'll post them later.

turbovanmanČ
03-16-2006, 12:59 PM
Hey Larry.....you like that, eh? If there is one thing I've learned about myself, it's that I should never say never when it comes to being done with these junkboxes. :-)

Steve: Yes, it's a stage III. With the 16v, spools just fine. It starts building boost early and then rockets up once it passes 10 psi, which on a 3rd gear pull on level ground, happens at around 3800ish rpm.

The FM unit I had on there did work pretty well, and for what FM *used* to charge for it, it was a good deal. What they charge today may be a bit too much in my opinion. I had mine off the car off not to long ago and measured the inner diameter of the elbow, and it was really more like 2 3/8", so I thought I'd give this a try. IIt's all welded up and on the car...fits great. Just need to finish buttoning up some other items before I can take it out to see how it does. I have other pics, but I have to download them from the camera still. I'll post them later.

I agree, its awfully expensive especially when you add the SV as well. The only reason I got it was it was bolt on a go, at that point in time, was tired of fabbing and messing around.

jake
03-19-2006, 02:20 PM
Thanks so much everyone for all your posts. I'm sorry I haven't posted on my own tread, been pretty busy working on the car. I think I am going to go with the ATP unit and some 180 bends also. Look like the best flow for a good price. Please post any more pics you have if you get a chance, they are very much appreciated.

Pat
03-21-2006, 08:31 AM
I finished it up and got it on the car over the weekend. It's working out great. I have a few more pictures, but my computer died so I can't upload them just yet. I'll get them posted as soon as I can.

iTurbo
07-23-2006, 12:09 AM
Pat, you got any pictures of the turbo/downpipe installed?

30 PSI SHADOW
07-25-2008, 01:32 PM
got a pic of mine for an L body rampage. Need a poster...

bill

turbovanmanČ
07-25-2008, 01:40 PM
got a pic of mine for an L body rampage. Need a poster...

bill

Use www.photobucket.com and then link the pics.