PDA

View Full Version : 3" swingvalve Updates

Turbo224
03-13-2008, 04:46 PM
Hey Chris,

Any updates on this recent batch of swingvalves?

Chris W
03-13-2008, 05:21 PM
Hey Chris,

Any updates on this recent batch of swingvalves?
I picked up 18 complete SVs yesterday and they are being packaged today. Six more should be ready tomorrow.

Chris-TU

Turbo224
03-13-2008, 05:39 PM
:dancingbana:

Awesome! I cant wait!

Thanks Chris!

87glhs232
03-13-2008, 11:48 PM
Mmmmm....I love the TU SV's. Maybe I should get another one soon, just to be on the safe side....

karlak
03-18-2008, 04:18 PM
How many spares do you have?

Chris W
03-18-2008, 07:57 PM
We still have a few left that are not spoken for.

Chris-TU

elle bawdy
03-19-2008, 08:31 PM
and now 1 fewer :love:

Chris W
03-19-2008, 08:57 PM
Here's a local T-Mr's gas mileage results by switching to our 3" SV and exhaust. Increased 4-5 MPG!

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23540

Chris-TU

Turbo224
03-19-2008, 09:16 PM
Got mine today Chris, everything looks awesome! Thanks again!

Chris W
03-21-2008, 02:37 PM
Glad it arrived safely Tyler!

We just added the Swingvalve and downpipe combo back to our site along with the dyno sheets and info.

Chris-TU

Turbo224
03-21-2008, 10:17 PM
I cant imagine that there is someone who has never seen one of these before, but wow! What a differece this is going to make!

Bubba
03-24-2008, 05:15 PM
I just ordered my 3" swingvalve/downpipe combo. Thanks Chris!

csx452
03-24-2008, 09:10 PM
I just got my 3" swingvalve/downpipe combo the other day. They look awesome. Can't wait to use them.
Thanks Chris,
Frank H. :thumb:

Chris W
03-24-2008, 09:39 PM
No problem Frank! With the way fuel prices are going up I may need to add improved gas mileage to the description since so many have recognized an increase in MPGs. :nod:

Chris-TU

Juggy
04-29-2008, 06:36 PM
We still have a few left that are not spoken for.

Chris-TU

is this info still valid???? I need to get another one....

Chris W
04-29-2008, 07:22 PM
is this info still valid???? I need to get another one....

As noted on our webiste we are all out of these and are accepting orders for the remaining 20 swingvalves. At this point we are unsure if we will continue making these in the future.

Chris-TU

Juggy
04-29-2008, 07:50 PM
poop........then will your 3" downpipe fit into a 2.5" swingvalve??

1984rampage
04-29-2008, 08:01 PM
Why wouldnt you continue making the 3" swingvalves? They seem to sell great and are a much recommended part for a high hp build.

Chris W
04-29-2008, 08:01 PM
poop........then will your 3" downpipe fit into a 2.5" swingvalve??

Yes it will :amen:

Chris-TU

Chris W
04-29-2008, 08:20 PM
Why wouldnt you continue making the 3" swingvalves? They seem to sell great and are a much recommended part for a high hp build.

Our costs have steadily increased in their manufacture while the demand has decreased over the years. If we raise our prices to $275. each to offset our new costs there will probably be even less of a demand. Our minimum production number is 100 pieces. That places over $20,000 worth of product on our shelves which we would rather invest in R&D for new products which have a higher demand. Good news is we can always start up production again if things were to change. :thumb:

Chris-TU

moparzrule
04-30-2008, 08:47 PM
we would rather invest in R&D for new products which have a higher demand.

I'm starting the vote, custom intake manifold for 8 valves! FWD's has been like 5-6 years in the making, seriously doubt it's ever going to come about anyway. I think TU would still get one out before they will :rolleyes:

My second vote, find someone to make a good set of axles that handle high HP.

Chris W
04-30-2008, 09:17 PM
I'm starting the vote, custom intake manifold for 8 valves! FWD's has been like 5-6 years in the making, seriously doubt it's ever going to come about anyway. I think TU would still get one out before they will :rolleyes:

Casting an intake manifold would not be cost effective PLUS it would reduce demand for your excellent intake porting work Matt :hail:. Now the axles, on the other hand, we have already sourced. We just haven't had a chance to add them to the site.

Chris-TU

4cefedomni
04-30-2008, 11:36 PM
whats this about axles:eyebrows: would you happen to be getting some for large spline l-bodies???

moparzrule
05-01-2008, 07:47 AM
Casting an intake manifold would not be cost effective PLUS it would reduce demand for your excellent intake porting work Matt :hail:.

Chris-TU

Hehe, I was just thinking out loud there. But I see your point.

Now the axles, on the other hand, we have already sourced. We just haven't had a chance to add them to the site.

Chris-TU

NICE! I didn't know this! Any more info? Are they unequal? And for what body styles so far? I'll be giving you a call later on about this, my shadow could use an upgrade, but right now it's 5am where you are :D

Juggy
05-02-2008, 07:22 PM
Casting an intake manifold would not be cost effective PLUS it would reduce demand for your excellent intake porting work Matt :hail:. Now the axles, on the other hand, we have already sourced. We just haven't had a chance to add them to the site.

Chris-TU

do an upper plenum for 2 piece users :thumb:

L body axles??? :eyebrows:

bn880
05-04-2008, 09:09 AM
Hi, any ETA on the new swingvalve/downpipe batch?

I'm waiting to buy several items (other than swingvalve) I just need to know approximately when these will be ready/shipping to make 1 larger order. :D

tryingbe
05-04-2008, 12:53 PM
Call Chris and order sooner rather than later.

Reaper1
05-18-2008, 08:39 PM
Chris, I understand your reasoning for considering the discontinuation of the 3" SV, however, I also think that it would be a bad idea to do it without a good substitute. As far as I know just about every TD'r about there knows that the 3" SV you offer is the best, and most of the time, only option beyond the stock or Tubronetics 2.5" unit.

I don't really have a good solution, but I think that getting rid of the product would not be a good choice....

1984rampage
05-18-2008, 08:42 PM
^^^ I agree.

Chris W
05-21-2008, 09:46 PM
Chris, I understand your reasoning for considering the discontinuation of the 3" SV, however, I also think that it would be a bad idea to do it without a good substitute. As far as I know just about every TD'r about there knows that the 3" SV you offer is the best, and most of the time, only option beyond the stock or Tubronetics 2.5" unit.

I don't really have a good solution, but I think that getting rid of the product would not be a good choice....

Chris,

We agree, but, when these are in stock in large quantities they have sat on our shelves for over a year. The only way we would be convinced to continue to manufacture 3" SVs is if we received 40 paid commitments up front and everyone was willing to wait until the swingvalves were cast, machined and welded. If you can make that happen then we would continue to manufacture them.

Chris-TU

Reaper1
05-21-2008, 11:28 PM
Wow...I find that kind of amazing that you've had some sit over a year! If it weren't for the fact I'm simply not ready for one right now, I'd order it, but I have no clue as to what turbo ect. I will be running. I have a good idea, but it's not set in stone.

Having said that, do you have any? It may still be good to have one around....

minigts
05-22-2008, 12:51 AM
Chris,

We agree, but, when these are in stock in large quantities they have sat on our shelves for over a year. The only way we would be convinced to continue to manufacture 3" SVs is if we received 40 paid commitments up front and everyone was willing to wait until the swingvalves were cast, machined and welded. If you can make that happen then we would continue to manufacture them.

Chris-TU

How much are they? I'm thinking of going 3" based on some good comments on these and having 3" exhaust in general.

Chris W
05-22-2008, 09:28 PM
We only have about 3 units unspoken for right now. We will be removing them from the site once they are all sold.

Chris-TU

crazymadbastard
05-22-2008, 09:40 PM
We only have about 3 units unspoken for right now. We will be removing them from the site once they are all sold.

Chris-TU

re-sale on these is gonna shoot through the roof! Sweet! my t-m will double in value!:thumb:

Very nice piece, maybe just consider running a final batch of castings and have them machined as needed for a bit more $$.

minigts
05-22-2008, 11:23 PM

Chris-TU

If you want to get rid of one of those pesky buggers really quick, i.e. for a good price :D, just let me know and I will see what I can do about scrounging up some cash.

WickedShelby88
05-23-2008, 02:48 AM
Shoot we need to petition about 40 people at SDAC who "don't" have 3" swings and want them..

GLHSHELBY
06-06-2008, 11:46 PM
Shoot we need to petition about 40 people at SDAC who "don't" have 3" swings and want them..

I need one.Went to order and they were gone:(

jimpotent
06-07-2008, 12:27 AM
I purchased one. After a hour of grinding so you can fit a socket in two areas I installed it on my car. Soon I realized that more design flaws were to haunt me. The puck for the wastegate would only close about 80% untill it would bottom out on the compressor housing. This leads to no boost wich sucks.
I will sell mine. Slowed my car from a 12.02 to a 13.40

moparzrule
06-07-2008, 06:42 AM
The puck for the wastegate would only close about 80% untill it would bottom out on the compressor housing.

Huh? Maybe you should have checked that before you installed and ran it? An adjustable wastegate arm fixes all your problems, but instead you will sell a piece that flows more than any other swingvalve?

Juggy
06-07-2008, 09:37 AM
I purchased one. After a hour of grinding so you can fit a socket in two areas I installed it on my car. Soon I realized that more design flaws were to haunt me. The puck for the wastegate would only close about 80% untill it would bottom out on the compressor housing. This leads to no boost wich sucks.
I will sell mine. Slowed my car from a 12.02 to a 13.40

WOWZERS your the 1st person Ive heard complain about these things! I swapped out my regular bolts for Allen head SHCS w/lock washer...I did some grinding as well 2 fit the regular bolts, but you arent suppose to use them!

im just really wondering how the wastegate puck is bottoming out on the compressor housing :confused2: r u sure you got it bolted up 2 the exhaust housing? lmfao

GLHSHELBY
06-07-2008, 03:11 PM
WOWZERS your the 1st person Ive heard complain about these things! I swapped out my regular bolts for Allen head SHCS w/lock washer...I did some grinding as well 2 fit the regular bolts, but you arent suppose to use them!

im just really wondering how the wastegate puck is bottoming out on the compressor housing :confused2: r u sure you got it bolted up 2 the exhaust housing? lmfao

does it not come with the right parts[screws] to make this work?

jimpotent
06-10-2008, 01:19 PM
Huh? Maybe you should have checked that before you installed and ran it? An adjustable wastegate arm fixes all your problems, but instead you will sell a piece that flows more than any other swingvalve?

.060 of a inch was not noticable laying under the car. An adjustable wastegate arm does not stop binding. The puck physically hits the turbine housing. The work on the part is wrong. It seems that the shaft for the swing valve needs to be located .090 to .100 further back. Your insults of checking things before installing and selling the piece shows what little communication you have with the owner. Chris has had some pieces where grinding the turbine housing is needed for the puck to seat itself. Offering a new swingvalve that seats itself against the turbine housing in trade for my defective one would be the proactive way of running a buisness.

John B
06-10-2008, 02:35 PM
.060 of a inch was not noticable laying under the car. An adjustable wastegate arm does not stop binding. The puck physically hits the turbine housing. The work on the part is wrong. It seems that the shaft for the swing valve needs to be located .090 to .100 further back. Your insults of checking things before installing and selling the piece shows what little communication you have with the owner. Chris has had some pieces where grinding the turbine housing is needed for the puck to seat itself. Offering a new swingvalve that seats itself against the turbine housing in trade for my defective one would be the proactive way of running a buisness.

So, Jim, are you selling it at a reasonable price? I don't mind performing a bit of surgery. PM me!

moparzrule
06-10-2008, 02:49 PM

Sorry, but I'm still not understanding whats going wrong anyway....I'm a very visually oriented person and it's hard for me to understand the situation by just explaining.

jimpotent
06-10-2008, 03:09 PM
Sorry, but I'm still not understanding whats going wrong anyway....I'm a very visually oriented person and it's hard for me to understand the situation by just explaining.

OK so send me your 3 inch swingvalve, I will send you mine and then you can visually understand it. What happens is when the puck is pulled towards the turbine housing to close off the hole/bypass so you can build boost,, the puck touches the turbine housing on one side sooner than the other. It then is stopped from moving any further. This in turn leaves 85% of the perimeter of the puck sitting .060 of an inch away from "seating" or closing the hole all the way. So with exhaust gasses escaping from the turbine housing, it does not let the compressor wheel spin as fast as it should, wich inturn leads to very little to no boost.
Now does Turbo Unleashed have a tried and true working swingvalve that has been on a car that they could send me? Then I will send you mine, you could bolt it onto that same turbo and see what went wrong.
That would be a proactive way of finding the solution.
Or what I have to do is the next time the turbo is off the car i must grind down the tubine housing just enough to get the puck to seat.

moparzrule
06-10-2008, 05:21 PM
OK I understand now. The puck is suppose to be semi free-floating, like able to rotate and wobble on an axis. When you have the swingvalve off the turbo, you should be able to wiggle the puck and it should have some wobble play. Somehow, the puck got stuck I guess. Do you have it back off of the car now?

Chris W
06-10-2008, 05:32 PM
When we design all our products we try to incorporate as many advantages and upgrades as possible. On our 3" swingvalves we chose a puck that is 50% larger then the factory version to enhance boost control. The larger puck provides our customers with the same high flow exhaust by-pass advantages as some expensive external wastegate actuators, but, in a bolt on configuration without the hassles of fitment and welding. All the customer would have to do is increase the size of the wastegate hole in the turbine housing to control boost creep issues.

Variations can occur in all cast products due to core shift, imperfections, handling damage, machining, etc. In very few instances the larger pucks can get hung up on the smaller wastegate hole. This has been mainly caused by a nick in the edge of the hole/puck. It is NOT caused by a machining, welding or design error. We have not changed the design, machining or welding process since we released this product. Disassembling and rewelding the swingvalve assembly is not the recommended fix since the problem is much simpler to resolve. All that needs to be done is chamfering the Wastegate hole and entire puck edge so the puck will no longer get hung up on the wastegate edge. In the past the very few customers who experienced this issue contacted us directly and the matter was quickly resolved. We figured we would address it publicly to avoid anyone going through the more time consuming welding fix.

I attached the photos below explaining the issue and resolution. If anyone has any additional questions or concerns on how to do this please contact us directly.

Chris-TU

Chris W
06-10-2008, 05:43 PM
Now does Turbo Unleashed have a tried and true working swingvalve that has been on a car that they could send me? Then I will send you mine, you could bolt it onto that same turbo and see what went wrong.
That would be a proactive way of finding the solution.
Or what I have to do is the next time the turbo is off the car i must grind down the tubine housing just enough to get the puck to seat.

As mentioned in my previous post, it could be a combination of variations that causes this issue. A different turbine housing may not have the same issue due to casting variations and the reasons noted above.

Chris-TU

jimpotent
06-10-2008, 08:11 PM
Attached thumbnail explaines all and gives me a fix when the turbo comes off... It just sucks to go through all that work for a bad result. Figures I am the guy that never gets the part that just bolts on.

karlak
06-10-2008, 09:49 PM
Hop in line. Nothing I ever touch works right the first time.

Reaper1
06-11-2008, 12:31 AM
^^Welcome to Hot Rodding...and not just TD's either...ANYTHING!!!

Juggy
06-11-2008, 08:29 AM
does it not come with the right parts[screws] to make this work?

yes if you order the swingvalve bolt kit to go with it...it comes with a couple of them retarded reverse torx wrench screws. I purchased mine used and the owner didnt send the bolts, so I used the ones that came off my 2 1/4" SV....had to do some grinding to make them big screw heads fit into there...dont know how I got them back off, let alone on :confused:

this time around its socket head capscrews, with some antiseize, and lock washers :thumb:

John B
06-11-2008, 10:36 AM
So I guess selling it to me cheap is not an option?:(

GLHSHELBY
06-28-2008, 11:02 AM
Hi, any ETA on the new swingvalve/downpipe batch?

I'm waiting to buy several items (other than swingvalve) I just need to know approximately when these will be ready/shipping to make 1 larger order. :D

any updates on these?? I wouldn`t mind getting this and a cast header at the same time to save on shipping

GLHSHELBY
06-28-2008, 11:04 AM

I`d like to see the custom intake manifold also as long as it looks great and helps in flow at the same time.

Chris W
06-28-2008, 11:12 AM
I received a call last week that these were ready to pick up from the machine shop. I will pick them up Monday and drop them off at our welders. Hopefully they will be completed before I return to PA.

For anyone who has ordered a 3" swingvalve and will be attending Chryslers@Carlisle please email me so I know how many to bring. Due to the new weight limits with baggage these days I don't want to bring more then necessary.

Thanks!

Chris-TU
Back in Phoenix

GLHNSLHT2
06-29-2008, 12:35 AM
I'm gonna have to get a whole new .63 housing if I have the sticking issue. GLHNSLHT2 Prays! Cause I opened up the hole as large as it can go.

moparzrule
06-29-2008, 06:06 AM
I opened up the hole as large as it can go.

I don't think that was a good idea at all. I was getting some creep and had 15 PSI minimum boost, so I ported the wastegate hole from .75 to .90''. Now my MAX boost is 20 PSI with the vacuum line unhooked. I have to set more preload on the WG can, big PITA to get that clip unhooked on the WG arm while it's on the car.

GLHNSLHT2
06-29-2008, 11:42 AM
interesting. The S60 turbo I had on the car had the WG opened up to 1.000. I saw it hit 28 and going once. The puck on that SV/Exhaust housing is only 1.125" so I have about .062" all the way around to seal. The puck on the 3" is 1.375?? I'd have to go back and look at my notes. Anyway I opened it up to 1.125 so I have .125 all the way around.

moparzrule
06-29-2008, 01:29 PM
Every setup is going to be different. The WG can will have different spring tension, the turbo compressor/turbine is different, the engine is flowing a different amount of air, the WG can has been setup with different amount of preload, ETC.
I'm simply saying that when you port the WG hole make sure you increase the preload on the can because there must be more backpressure against the puck making it open up sooner than before. I'm just giving an example of what ''could'' happen, not what will happen.

Chris W
06-29-2008, 01:49 PM
Matt pretty much hit the nail on the head. You should ONLY open up the WG port in increments and stop when boost control is acheived.

Chris-TU

bn880
07-13-2008, 09:34 AM
Alright, good to hear about the S/V's. When do you expect to ship them out to people? :nod:

Badger
07-14-2008, 04:26 AM
are all the 3" SV's spoken for Chris?

88C/S
07-15-2008, 03:39 AM
Didn't see the 3" swing valves listed on the TU site, does that mean all are gone?:mecry:

moparzrule
07-15-2008, 05:56 AM
Well Chris is thinking of making another batch because of all the requests. However, to insure people are going to put their money where their mouth is it will require ~40 people to pony up a deposit.

bn880
07-20-2008, 09:36 AM
Hmm, same question again; is there an ETA to ship out the completed 3" SV's?

moparzrule
07-20-2008, 12:49 PM
No....it's still up in the air whether any more will be made at all!

Chris W
07-20-2008, 01:03 PM
We are still waiting on a commitment from the community before we consider manufacturing these again. We started anoher thread in the Turbos Unleashed section about this. So cast your vote and get on the list if you are serious about obtaining one.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?p=344977#post344977

THANKS!

Chris-TU

bn880
07-20-2008, 03:58 PM
No....it's still up in the air whether any more will be made at all!

No I mean I am waiting for my SV that I've paid for months ago, when are they shipping out? (the current batch)

Chris W
07-20-2008, 04:03 PM
They are scheduled to go next week.

Chris-TU

Chris W
07-31-2008, 09:29 PM
The last batch of 3" Swingvalves are now in stock. Those who have paid in full will be receiving tracking numbers in the next couple of days.

PLEASE NOTE: These swingvalves are from previous orders and have already been paid for. They have nothing to do with the current deposits being accepted.

Thanks for your patience!

Chris-TU

omni_840
08-01-2008, 08:15 AM
The last batch of 3" Swingvalves are now in stock. Those who have paid in full will be receiving tracking numbers in the next couple of days.

PLEASE NOTE: These swingvalves are from previous orders and have already been paid for. They have nothing to do with the current deposits being accepted.

Thanks for your patience!

Chris-TU

That is really good news! thanks :thumb:

bn880
08-01-2008, 12:44 PM
Thanks for the update Chris.

Chris W
08-05-2008, 02:04 AM
We had to do a little touch up work to clearance two of the mounting bolts but the last of the 3" swingvalves have been quickly heading out the door. Here are a few pics from earlier today.

Chris-TU

bn880
08-06-2008, 02:01 PM
Thanks Chris for the great service! And I bet a lot of guys (maybe a few gals) are drooling at those pics. :D

omni_840
08-12-2008, 01:20 PM
I just spoke to my wife and she said a package from Chris Wright was delivered this morning :)

bn880
08-20-2008, 06:16 PM
Yes I got mine a few days ago as well, can anyone tell me if the 3" S/V and downpipe combo came with the two flange bolts and springs to attach the DP to the S/V?

Reason I ask is the post office seems to have damaged the box.

GLHSKEN
08-20-2008, 07:01 PM
no they did not

bn880
08-20-2008, 07:14 PM
Cool thanks!

86trbolancer
09-18-2008, 01:18 AM
Thanks for the SV chris:hail::hail:...looks awesome bolted up to my t3/t4:hail::hail:

moparzrule
09-18-2008, 05:23 AM
Looks awesome, great work with the aluminum elbows too that should work out super nice.

86trbolancer
09-18-2008, 03:48 PM
Looks awesome, great work with the aluminum elbows too that should work out super nice.

ThankS....I wish i could say that i did the welding myself.
I really like how he used 3 *45 elbows, instead of 1 *90 which most people do.:thumb:

Chris W
09-18-2008, 04:07 PM
Thanks for the SV chris:hail::hail:...looks awesome bolted up to my t3/t4:hail::hail:

Glad to see it got there safely. :thumb:

We still have 4 more here that we would love to ship out. :D

Chris-TU

djtang
09-18-2008, 05:16 PM
Are any of the 4 available to those who made a deposit for the new batch? I would love to pay my balance and get my hands on one :D

Chris W
09-18-2008, 05:22 PM
Are any of the 4 available to those who made a deposit for the new batch? I would love to pay my balance and get my hands on one :D

What's your name or order #?

Chris-TU

djtang
09-18-2008, 08:19 PM
pm'ed you Chris.

zombezoo
09-21-2008, 06:51 PM
Chris,
Has the production already been completed? I paid my deposit but have not seen any email notifying me that its time to pay the remainder of my order. Please PM me and let me know how to finish the order process.

zombezoo
09-22-2008, 10:35 AM
Nevermind, Re read the thread and see whats going on. I await further payment instructions.