PDA

View Full Version : Muffler suggestions

GLHNSLHT2
03-12-2008, 09:20 PM
Need a muffler for my New yorker. the car will have full 3" and want a muffler in the stock location. 3" in and out of course, stock muffler has a body of 22x6. Of course I'm looking for something that flows good, sounds good but is quiet. With the automatic I don't want something too loud that drones an attracts a ton of attention. Yes I want my cake and eat it too.

thanks guys

BadAssPerformance
03-12-2008, 09:51 PM
I like the Dynomax Race Magnum 3" oval mufflers. Good sounds and flow too.

http://www.badassperformance.com/mrides/z/perf/race-magnum.jpg

contraption22
03-12-2008, 10:03 PM
I'm a fan of Magnaflow mufflers.

Clay
03-12-2008, 11:19 PM
werd! I like the 3" straight through magnaflow Ive got. It may be a bit louder than you want though.

GLHNSLHT2
03-13-2008, 12:06 AM
I really like the stealthyness of the stock exhaust, don't need a full on race car, I have a shelbyZ and a soon to be super badass GLH for that kinda stuff. Heck even the ShelbyZ is losing it's side exit straight pipe for a rear exit setup with some sort of muffler probably. It used to have a dynomax race mag. Was too loud for what I'm looking for for the NY. Want something with maybe a low quiet rumble that's not gonna rattle the inside of the car. if it could sound like my GLH did with it's stock exhaust sans muffler but still running the cat that'd be great. hmmm maybe a 3" cat would be better????

turbovanmanČ
03-13-2008, 12:46 AM
Cat won't do much unless you run a stock one. Most aftermarket units flow too much and won't muffle at all.

I have a Magnaflow on the van and it drones, but its loud and sounds awesome.

If you want some stealth and limited drone, Flowmasters Super40 sounds awesome. Think I am going to put it back in when I redo my exhaust soon.

badandy
03-13-2008, 01:37 PM
The best sound I have ever heard from one of these cars was through a flowmaster. Unfortunately they have been proven to not flow well for turbo applications as the exhaust becomes more stacked and less pulsed like a normally aspirated car...not to mention how ungodly heavy they are!

My ATR pitbull can't hold a candle sound wise.

turbovanmanČ
03-13-2008, 01:41 PM
The best sound I have ever heard from one of these cars was through a flowmaster. Unfortunately they have been proven to not flow well for turbo applications as the exhaust becomes more stacked and less pulsed like a normally aspirated car...not to mention how ungodly heavy they are!

My ATR pitbull can't hold a candle sound wise.

There not that heavy, I bet my Super40 weighs the same as my Magnaflow.

I did a dyno test on it years ago, dynoed it, then dropped the full system and ran an open turbo, I honestly picked up 10 whp or less, my memory is fading, lol. To me, thats nothing for a full system with cat and muffler, ;)

RoadWarrior222
03-13-2008, 01:53 PM
Budget conscious choice would be a Walker SoundFX, put one on my 3.0 mini and have been highly delighted with it since it was only like $10 more than a generic "rots to crap in 18 months" jobbie. Picked up 1 or 2 mpg and buttdyno said it was worth 5HP, quiet at idle and city speeds, not obnoxious on the highway, but growls nicely when you "get on it". Has lasted several years now, but might be "due" soon, battered it around a bit fitting a new cat the other year and think it let the rust through the finish (aluminised). Anyway, so far it's probably saved me two tanks of gas a year over 5 years, ~$500 bucks, and 3 generic mufflers at ~$60 a pop..... ~$70 pays ~$700 is the kind of odds I like.

MiniMopar
03-13-2008, 01:55 PM
On my Daytona (an offset UltraFlo oval):
http://www.knizefamily.net/russ/auto/daytona/exhaust-muffler.jpg

More info here: http://www.knizefamily.net/russ/auto/daytona/history.html#2006-10-27

On my CSX for that stock look (a Super Turbo with some tweaks):

http://www.knizefamily.net/russ/auto/csx/exhaust-muffler.jpg

More here: http://www.knizefamily.net/russ/auto/csx/history.html#2006-09-17

Austrian Dodge
03-13-2008, 07:01 PM
I have a 3" straight through Dynomax UltraFlo Round. I like the sound but draws too much attention to my car because it's not that quiet ;)

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/photopost/data/614/DSC05593.JPG

I want to switch that muffler with a quieter one - doesn't have to be straight through, as i have a side exit exhaust when going to the track.

Simon, is that Flowmaster Super40 a good stealth-like muffler? Are there any other 3" stealth mufflers? :)

turbovanmanČ
03-13-2008, 07:03 PM
Simon, is that Flowmaster Super40 a good stealth-like muffler? Are there any other 3" stealth mufflers? :)

What do you mean stealth like? :confused:

Austrian Dodge
03-13-2008, 07:05 PM
quiet :)

moparzrule
03-13-2008, 07:43 PM
Cat won't do much unless you run a stock one. Most aftermarket units flow too much and won't muffle at all.

What? I had a dynomax high flow cat on, I replaced it with a bullet muffler and it was WAY louder. The cat did a LOT to quiet it down.

turbovanmanČ
03-13-2008, 08:10 PM
What? I had a dynomax high flow cat on, I replaced it with a bullet muffler and it was WAY louder. The cat did a LOT to quiet it down.

What size exhaust? I tried this experiment on my van with a complete 3 inch setup from the turbo back. Running a cat made almost no difference in sound but it did remove the drone. I would say on a scale of 1-10, 10 being loud, the added cat changed it to a 8.5, ;)

quiet :)

Well its quieter than the Magnaflow but the tone is deeper. Its not quiet but not loud either. As we all know, if you want performance, its going to be loud, :(

moparzrule
03-13-2008, 08:17 PM
What size exhaust? I tried this experiment on my van with a complete 3 inch setup from the turbo back. Running a cat made almost no difference in sound but it did remove the drone. I would say on a scale of 1-10, 10 being loud, the added cat changed it to a 8.5, ;)

I didn't know there was anything other than 3'' :confused: :lol:

Well, my complete exhaust was 3'' the whole way, with a dynomax ultraflow oval out the back. With the CAT it was like a 5, with the bullet muffler it was like a 7, with straight pipe (in the CAT area, still had the ultraflow) it was like an 8. Bullet muffler didn't do much LOL.

turbovanmanČ
03-13-2008, 08:32 PM
I didn't know there was anything other than 3'' :confused: :lol:

Well, my complete exhaust was 3'' the whole way, with a dynomax ultraflow oval out the back. With the CAT it was like a 5, with the bullet muffler it was like a 7, with straight pipe (in the CAT area, still had the ultraflow) it was like an 8. Bullet muffler didn't do much LOL.

True dat, :hail:

Yeah, I've heard bullets barely do anything, there used mostly for class's that call for a muffler, lol!

MiniMopar
03-13-2008, 08:37 PM
The Daytona, with a cat and the UltraFlo, is reasonably quiet until I really beat on it. Then it gets raspy, which I like. I was surprised how quiet it was just driving around though, being a straight-through.

The CSX is loud as heck. That Super Turbo muffler doesn't do jack. The exit pipes only go in about 3 inches, so it's not really a "path" muffler that the normal Super Turbos are. With a test pipe, it sounded like having no muffler plus some bonus drone. I put an UltraFlo round in the cat location and that helped. It's still louder than I like.

The CSX had a 2.5" system before with a "normal" single in/out offset round Super Turbo. That sounded like stock.

Frank
03-13-2008, 09:32 PM
Magnaflow FTW!

GLHNSLHT2
03-13-2008, 10:08 PM
Frank you don't say why. Does it fit what I want? I'm kinda leaning towards a high flow cat right now.

BadAssPerformance
03-13-2008, 10:55 PM
On my Daytona (an offset UltraFlo oval):

Ultraflow is Dynomax's high end. Same great sound and performacne as a Race Magnum but in a polished stainless steel case :thumb:

Frank
03-14-2008, 06:05 AM
Frank you don't say why. Does it fit what I want? I'm kinda leaning towards a high flow cat right now.

On my Daytona, I went with a 5x8 oval that was 21" long. It just fits up in there. No drone but an incredible sound. I use them on that and on my Bronco. They yield no rasp, but good sound. Compared to them, the Dynomax is raspy, that is how good they are.

moparzrule
03-14-2008, 06:39 AM
I've found that a dynomax ultraflow oval has a rasp, but the round doesn't as much it has more of a drone. I don't like it, I'm taking the round back off and trying straight pipe, but with a stage 3 .63 turbine I'm sure it's gonna be too loud for the local police to enjoy so I'll be on the lookout for the oval.

MiniMopar
03-14-2008, 10:03 AM
Ultraflow is Dynomax's high end. Same great sound and performacne as a Race Magnum but in a polished stainless steel case :thumb:

The UltraFlo round on the CSX is crimped SS and seems larger than a Race Magnum, but the UF oval on the Daytona is just welded aluminized steel. The oval is definitely quieter. It's could be the offset too, since there are two "angles" in the muffer itself.

turbovanmanČ
03-14-2008, 01:28 PM
On my Daytona, I went with a 5x8 oval that was 21" long. It just fits up in there. No drone but an incredible sound. I use them on that and on my Bronco. They yield no rasp, but good sound. Compared to them, the Dynomax is raspy, that is how good they are.

I tried a Magnaflow on my 98 Jimmy, its 2.5 inch mandrel with one of those Ebay hi flow cats and it sounded like pure sh*t, it was raspy and didn't care for it. Put a 3 chamber DF on, much better sound and no drone, :thumb:

overlordsshadow
03-14-2008, 02:36 PM
May I suggest no muffler? That is always my favourite.

turbovanmanČ
03-14-2008, 02:45 PM
May I suggest no muffler? That is always my favourite.

Sound like crap without one, :(

overlordsshadow
03-14-2008, 02:49 PM
Hell no, these cars sound amazing without one. Plus, a fun game to play is how many ricers can you make wet their pants at a light, and how many people can you trick into thinking they are being shot at while dropping the revs from 5500.

Turbodave
03-14-2008, 03:03 PM
Hell no, these cars sound amazing without one. Plus, a fun game to play is how many ricers can you make wet their pants at a light, and how many people can you trick into thinking they are being shot at while dropping the revs from 5500.

It's also a good way to get pulled over for no reason, and to have your neighbors getted pissed at you when you come home late at night and wake them up. Not my kind of style.

overlordsshadow
03-14-2008, 03:08 PM
True enough, I do hate it being loud in residential areas at night. Don't think I have to worry about current neighbours though, as the guy next to me sits revving his truck at night or blasting music. I live in the hood. Eventually I will make a nice cutout system to be loud when I want to. And the cops, you know what I have to say about them. Although I do try to be quite around them and it has been working so far.

BadAssPerformance
03-14-2008, 04:31 PM
I drove my Z for ~2 years with an open downpipe, then another ~2.5 years with 3" straight pipe, then a couple years with the Dynomax Race Magnum oval, and now with the Dynomax Race magnum bullet... They do sound mean with the open pipes, but the oval was the best sound by far :thumb:

The UltraFlo round on the CSX is crimped SS and seems larger than a Race Magnum, but the UF oval on the Daytona is just welded aluminized steel. The oval is definitely quieter. It's could be the offset too, since there are two "angles" in the muffer itself.

True, the UF oval is probably a bit lighter than the RM oval :thumb: I only went to the bullet for weight on the Z as there really is next to no performance gain of a bullet over an oval on a straight thru muffler.

FWIW, my T2 shadow runs the same 1/4 mile mph with an open downpipe or full 3" with the RM oval (no cat).

Frank
03-14-2008, 04:37 PM
I tried a Magnaflow on my 98 Jimmy, its 2.5 inch mandrel with one of those Ebay hi flow cats and it sounded like pure sh*t, it was raspy and didn't care for it. Put a 3 chamber DF on, much better sound and no drone, :thumb:

I am running 3" on my bronco with a catco cat and magnaflow and it is heavenly sounding.

BadAssPerformance
03-14-2008, 04:43 PM
You should have a pair of 40 series Flowmasters on that Bronco so it sounds like a 5.0L Mustang ;)

turbovanmanČ
03-14-2008, 05:43 PM
You should have a pair of 40 series Flowmasters on that Bronco so it sounds like a 5.0L Mustang ;)

Yep, that would sound awesome, :nod:

GLHNSLHT2
03-14-2008, 08:59 PM
you guys need to read post #1. I have cars with 3" straight pipe. I want this one somewhat sedate and quiet. Also being an Auto 3" open pipe makes for a much louder car at idle and cruise vs. a 5spd.
I agree that 3" straight pipe sounds awesome but it's not the goal for this car.
Thanks.

BadAssPerformance
03-14-2008, 09:07 PM
Good point about the Auto vs. Stick. All of my experience with the Dynomax Race Magnum oval mufflers is with 5-speeds so I cannot comment on how it will sound in an auto on the highway.

Are you running a cat? The oval with a 3" cat would probably be pretty quiet.

I might have a sound cap of my Shadow idleing...

GLHNSLHT2
03-14-2008, 09:28 PM
Right now I have a 3" true Rick D d'pipe. I need to order a cat back system from TU. So I have no muffler or cat. Trying to choose based on feedback from everyone.

BadAssPerformance
03-14-2008, 09:36 PM
Cool deal. Maybe someone with one of these muffler options on a car with an Auto can get you a sound clip at idle, free reving and also on the highway at ~3k rpm?

nBALLS
03-15-2008, 12:07 AM
My van(Auto) had a side exit 3" w/no muffler(3" TU SV and TU DP), and it was cool for a while, then it got annoying, but then it got cool again when I delivered Jay's Masi motor to him. I was doing 80, which means cruising RPM is about 3800, I would get in boost(12-ish psi), Rs would come up to about 4200 and when I let off, it would shoot some nasty flames out the side. IT WAS AWESOME!!!1! I scared some people that evening, I'm sure of it.

turbovanmanČ
03-15-2008, 01:12 AM
Cool deal. Maybe someone with one of these muffler options on a car with an Auto can get you a sound clip at idle, free reving and also on the highway at ~3k rpm?

Magnaflow isn't bad but drones-less midrange but more to end.

Super40 is quieter and doesn't drone-more midrange but softer top end.

moparzrule
03-15-2008, 07:18 AM
What? I've never had a super 40 on a 4 cylinder, but every V8 I've had them on myself, and every V8 and V6 I've heard with them has had the most resonance/drone of any muffler I've ever heard.

2.2turboscotty
03-15-2008, 09:41 AM
i'm with Frank on this one for sure, magnaflow. i do find that the Scamp which is auto vs. the SC which is 5 speed is louder but a lot of that is it rpms are higher at highway speeds. both are side exits without cats. and are a bit louder when pounding on them but you can cruise right by the law man and he won't even look if you're not racing it.

Frank
03-15-2008, 09:45 AM
i'm with Frank on this one for sure, magnaflow. i do find that the Scamp which is auto vs. the SC which is 5 speed is louder but a lot of that is it rpms are higher at highway speeds. both are side exits without cats. and are a bit louder when pounding on them but you can cruise right by the law man and he won't even look if you're not racing it.

My daytona was an auto also.

turbovanmanČ
03-15-2008, 04:09 PM
What? I've never had a super 40 on a 4 cylinder, but every V8 I've had them on myself, and every V8 and V6 I've heard with them has had the most resonance/drone of any muffler I've ever heard.

Yep, you heard right and from others doing it, they have found the same, ;)

We are not talking V8 or V6 to which I agree, they drone badly.

moparzrule
03-15-2008, 04:51 PM
Yep, you heard right and from others doing it, they have found the same, ;)

We are not talking V8 or V6 to which I agree, they drone badly.

OK, I just thought that since a 6 and a 8 both drone, that would leave the 4 droning too. But apparently not I guess!

turbovanmanČ
03-15-2008, 08:29 PM
OK, I just thought that since a 6 and a 8 both drone, that would leave the 4 droning too. But apparently not I guess!

Its quite a shock, literally.

I also had it on my diesel van and it droned a tad, but not as bad as I thought it would be, :thumb:

Anonymous_User
03-15-2008, 09:29 PM
My "muffler" of choice.

You think Bullets do little to quiet the car? Use these only if you need to have a muffler and don't car how loud it is:

http://www.schoenfeldheaders.com/mufflers.htm

GLHNSLHT2
03-15-2008, 10:13 PM
well guys I think I'm gonna order up the exhaust from TU and get it installed with just straight pipe and my 3" downturn on the end then see what kind of muffler I can fit up there. It's gonna be TU's 1st install on a new yorker and I'm hoping that a Daytona kit will fit. Hopefully I can stand the noise until I can decide on a muffler. I've got so many choices I'm not sure what to go with. I like MiniMopar's look with the superturbo but I think a 3" single will be a little more stealthy :), I want a nice deep burble with no drone and not too loud.

turbovanmanČ
03-15-2008, 11:30 PM
well guys I think I'm gonna order up the exhaust from TU and get it installed with just straight pipe and my 3" downturn on the end then see what kind of muffler I can fit up there. It's gonna be TU's 1st install on a new yorker and I'm hoping that a Daytona kit will fit. Hopefully I can stand the noise until I can decide on a muffler. I've got so many choices I'm not sure what to go with. I like MiniMopar's look with the superturbo but I think a 3" single will be a little more stealthy :), I want a nice deep burble with no drone and not too loud.

So basically your want your cake and eat it too, ;)

Your buddy Xratti never got back to me, :( sorry to hijack.

GLHNSLHT2
03-30-2008, 05:04 PM
What do you guys think about these??? http://hushpower.com/racing.html

turbovanmanČ
03-30-2008, 05:11 PM
What do you guys think about these??? http://hushpower.com/racing.html

Hmmmmmmmmm, having your cake and eating too, sounds like a wicked plan. I wonder how they work? Maybe try one for us, hehehehe, :clap:

I looked at the function of it, looks like Edelbrocks old muffler line, using cones and mesh, :o

Interestingly, Flowmaster makes those!! :clap:

GLHNSLHT2
03-30-2008, 06:10 PM
can't be too bad restriction wise, USAC midgets and sprint cars use them. Just hope the sound is liveable. Not sure if i want to cough up that much money for something untested.

turbovanmanČ
03-30-2008, 06:50 PM
can't be too bad restriction wise, USAC midgets and sprint cars use them. Just hope the sound is liveable. Not sure if i want to cough up that much money for something untested.

I couldn't find a price, how much are they?

moparzrule
03-30-2008, 07:09 PM
$180 at jegs-
http://www.jegs.com/i/Hushpower/526/13016100/10002/-1

turbovanmanČ
03-30-2008, 07:10 PM
$180 at jegs-
http://www.jegs.com/i/Hushpower/526/13016100/10002/-1

Thanks. :D

Wonder if they have a money back guarantee? :confused: :eyebrows:

I am going to call them tomorrow, Hushpower, and see what they have to say about a turbo 4 banger.

GLHNSLHT2
03-30-2008, 07:12 PM
180-190 depending on if you want the turndown or not. Summit and Jegs has them. Funny, Hushpower is located like 20 minutes away from me! i wonder if I could go over there and see if I could demo a muffler to see if I like it or not. :)

turbovanmanČ
03-30-2008, 07:25 PM
180-190 depending on if you want the turndown or not. Summit and Jegs has them. Funny, Hushpower is located like 20 minutes away from me! i wonder if I could go over there and see if I could demo a muffler to see if I like it or not. :)

Yeah, maybe give them a call.

I could see the turndown being handy for cars or vans if putting the muffler at the back.

GLHNSLHT2
03-30-2008, 08:11 PM
yea it's the one I'd get if I didn't have a nice 3" turndown already to slip on the end of the straight exit one.

moparzrule
03-31-2008, 06:37 AM
I could see the turndown being handy for cars or vans if putting the muffler at the back.

I thought the same thing. You'd be surprised how much a turndown helps the quiet the exhaust as opposed to straight out.

turbovanmanČ
03-31-2008, 06:43 AM
I thought the same thing. You'd be surprised how much a turndown helps the quiet the exhaust as opposed to straight out.

Funny you mention that, when I first put the Magnaflow on the van, I had a turn down on it and holy crap, it was unbearable, I then made it exit to the right, ala stock and so much quieter! :confused:

moparzrule
03-31-2008, 07:05 AM
Was there a lot of drone? Or just loud? Thats very strange.

nBALLS
03-31-2008, 11:22 AM
With a turn down, the sound bounces off of the ground.

GLHNSLHT2
03-31-2008, 12:16 PM
depends on the location I think. It made my GLH resonate less, course it just had a Rick D downpipe that ended right under the shifter.

turbovanmanČ
03-31-2008, 12:50 PM
Was there a lot of drone? Or just loud? Thats very strange.

Both, it was bad, I had to stop and put my ear plugs in when I went bike racing in Portland, :o

turbovanmanČ
03-31-2008, 01:13 PM
Had a good talk with Hushpower, after he stopped laughing, :eyebrows:, they figured that for drone, it wouldn't do a thing. He recommend if I wanted to take a bit of a HP hit, to run both models of Hushpower II's and It won't drone.

GLHNSLHT2
03-31-2008, 02:34 PM
what was he laughing about? HP2's look like they only come in 2.5".

moparzrule
03-31-2008, 02:38 PM
Probably the fact that we would be using it on a 4 cylinder.

And who would spend $360 in mufflers alone?

GLHNSLHT2
03-31-2008, 02:45 PM
yea I could see the rednecks around here thinking that. "You need some backpressure on that thing" Also true, I'm not paying 400 for mufflers.

turbovanmanČ
03-31-2008, 02:47 PM
what was he laughing about? HP2's look like they only come in 2.5".

Turbo MINIVAN, :thumb:

True, thats why we talked for a bit, he said at a lower power, they'd be fine.

Probably the fact that we would be using it on a 4 cylinder.

And who would spend $360 in mufflers alone?

Not me, :(

yea I could see the rednecks around here thinking that. "You need some backpressure on that thing" Also true, I'm not paying 400 for mufflers.

No, it was just to quieten it down.

moparzrule
03-31-2008, 02:50 PM
Edit, nevermind you answered it already

GLHNSLHT2
05-13-2008, 10:49 PM
Well I got the exhaust installed. it's not perfect as far as the direction of the final 2 bends yet. I have to remove, cut and reweld it again but just haven't had the desire to do it yet. But it's straight piped for now and maybe forever. There's just a nice rumble, no drone at all. :)

turbovanmanČ
05-14-2008, 02:29 PM
I decided to try a Hooker Max Flo, Gary D ran one on his Minivan and he said no drone. I have one here from Whorse and it looks like a nice, free flowing design, plus it was cheap, $65 brand new, :nod: