PDA

View Full Version : Code 27

Captain Chaos
03-12-2008, 08:30 PM
My 91 Shadow T-I auto has a code 27. The engine is 100% stock. I may have put my newer 804's in it, but that would be it. According to the database here it says:
27 Fuel Control (engine check light) Engine speeds below 2,000 If the fuel control system fails to switch

What does fuel control system fails to switch mean?

turbovanmanČ
03-12-2008, 08:49 PM
My honest guess without going thru my books is the oxygen sensor is stuck rich or lean and the computer can't adjust the fuel. Maybe putting the new injectors in is causing it to run rich.

Captain Chaos
03-12-2008, 08:53 PM
I just installed new plugs before I started it up, however I noticed it turned over slow as if the battery was low. THe volt gauge went up where it should be, I'm charging the battery tonight. I'll try it again with a fresh battery and reset the codes and see what happens. I know it revved up like it was sluggish, but I didn't get black smoke or rich smell. I don't have the exhaust hooked up yet so it should have been noticeable. Maybe a lean condition.?

sdac guy
03-12-2008, 09:02 PM
What does fuel control system fails to switch mean?

Check out Russ' site http://www.knizefamily.net/minimopar/fault/code27.html

It gives more detail than the cryptic condition you've noted. "Fails to switch" per Russ' site means the ecu could not detect the injector turning on or off.

Barry

MiniMopar
03-12-2008, 09:04 PM
Yeah, for '91 which is sequential injection, the meaning is slightly changed: basically it means that one of the four injector drivers is not responding correctly rather than just being circuit #2. The possible causes would be the same. Check the injector connectors to see if any of the pins pulled out of the connector when you swapped injectors. That happens sometimes if you pulled on the wire while trying to remove the plug.

turbovanmanČ
03-12-2008, 09:22 PM
Check out Russ' site http://www.knizefamily.net/minimopar/fault/code27.html

It gives more detail than the cryptic condition you've noted. "Fails to switch" per Russ' site means the ecu could not detect the injector turning on or off.

Barry

That rings a bell, I had that happen on an older car where the injector harness had fallen apart. Ding ding ding, ;)

Captain Chaos
03-13-2008, 08:41 AM
Thanks for the help gentlemen, I'll explore all of that this evening.

Captain Chaos
03-13-2008, 08:49 PM
Just wanted to let you guys know you all are smarter than three NY governors! I pulled the rail and harness tonight and injector plug 3 and 4 were full of corrosion. I scraped it out put some dielectric grease in it and it started running smooth. THANKS!!!!!!!!!