PDA

View Full Version : intercooler for shadow

kenderlein24
03-11-2008, 11:07 PM
wat is the cheapest and easiest intercooler for a 89 dodge shadow. im running 12 pounds of boost right now but plan on going higher once i get more money and when she's not my daily driver.

Anonymous_User
03-12-2008, 01:15 AM
Easiest would be a factory IC/radiator setup from an '87 or '89 CSX.

Cheapest...... grab a used G-body IC and some PVC.

kenderlein24
03-12-2008, 02:43 PM
ok. what is everyone out there running for there intercooler set ups. i would like it to be capable of being effiecent at 17 pounds which would be the max psi i would be running cause i don't wanna do things twice.

MiniMopar
03-12-2008, 03:24 PM
17psi is about all that little turbo can manage, especially when pushing against an IC. It's also a little tricky to keep the boost stable with an IC using a grainger. The biggest problem I had with the little Mitsu on my '88 T1 was oscillations and creep. I did find some tricks that got rid of it for the most part. But anyway, a stock IC can manage 17psi without too much trouble and if you find a stock radiator/IC combo, even from a Daytona, it is fairly easy to install.

As I had mentioned before, back in the day (mid-90s) I was on a serious budget and went old school. Junkyard Conquest IC with under-the-core-support plumbing using cheap 2.25" exhaust tubing and bends from the local auto parts store and about 3 feet of 2.25" truck radiator hose for couplers. I even kept the stock T1 airbox, simply popping it off the bracket and angling it so that the pipe cleared the top of it to the TB. The IC was mounted using a bungie cord and I ran that setup for about 5 years at 14psi on the stock electronics.

Just about any junkyard IC can be adapted this way. Just have to take some measurements to see how much room you have and start looking around.

blk86trbo
03-12-2008, 04:42 PM
If you don't wanna do things twice consider a intercooler out of a early Dodge truck with the Cummins diesel. It's large, so you wan't have to upgrade again in the future. Here's the webpage I used to help me with the installation...

http://www.moparhead.50megs.com/intercooler.htm

...it's really as easy as it looks. I've got a few photos on my personal webpage below if you want to check it out.

MiniMopar
03-12-2008, 06:38 PM
Nice clean install, Paul.

kenderlein24
03-12-2008, 10:50 PM
yea i like the idea of the doge truck intercooler. wat are some of the plumbing options for this set up and where can i get it from?

turbokid
03-16-2008, 03:41 PM
you can make your own hard pipe with exhaust tubing as mentioned above or there are intercooler piping kits available. Custom mount yourself an intercooler, put a cone filter on a piece of angled pipe and attach it and you would have yourself a cheap better flowing set up