PDA

View Full Version : Need some pointers.. having a head BUILT

PentastarTurbo
02-27-2006, 02:40 AM
I was recentally talkin to my brother about dropping my head off at a local machine shop for a basic rebuild.. He said the place that the dealership sends it work to does TOP NOTCH work.. So he said for me to stop by the next day and he'd call em as soon as the head service writer or whatever was in to get the #

For some reason, I desided to bring the head with me and it paid off..

He called em when I got there.. he got it all setup.

Its a totally repuatable shop from everyone ive talked to in the performance car world in this area.. After he got off the phone.. He said the guy said that "You guys send so much work our way, and sence your a great customer.. 150 and we'll do ANYTHING YA WANT!" port, polish, larger valves, ect and still be smogable..
I then told him that smog isnt an issue with my vehicle and he went, Excellent, that's way easier..

So I said cool and drove to drop it off..
They said they had to check and go through the head first before they do anything to make sure it was good to use for a buildup.. I told em it was pulled off of a perfect running car with no over heating issues (85 turbo Z) G head? anyways.. He said to call back Monday (tomorrow) to see how the tests went and then he'd go over all the options for its build up.. I told him I wanted to swap over to a roller cam setup and that I had no idea Id be doin it this soon.. Luckily I found a super low milage 88 Shadow ES turbo roller and roller rockers in excellent condition for the swap :)

He also mentioned to bring in my intake and exhaust manafold and turbo as well for gasket matching..
So what it all comes down too..
What should I ask for?

I was orignally goin for a basic rebuild, nothing fancy.. but this I couldn't pass up..

thanks..

Chris Pauluk - Modesto CA. - 1984 Rampage "Ramlet" www.cardomain.com/id/solo2rampage

turbovanmanČ
02-27-2006, 04:33 AM
+1mm or more oversize valves, deshroud the chambers, port the head, gasket match for sure, clip the valve guides so they don't drop, run 3.3L conical valve springs,

DUGZSHELBY
02-27-2006, 02:35 PM
Turbovanman, what do you mean by "clip the valve guides so they don't drop"? does this go for a head with bronze guides installed? Thanks!

8valves
02-27-2006, 09:05 PM
What he means is that you cut the guides short so they don't protrude into the ports so much. Try to get them nearly flush with the roof of the port.

Aaron Miller

GLHSKEN
02-27-2006, 09:31 PM
He meant put a "circlip" oround them notched so they cannot fall...

turbovanmanČ
02-27-2006, 09:32 PM
Hahahaha, not this time Aaron, what I meant is the guides have a tendency to drop over time so they use a clip so the guides don't move down. I wouldn't cut the guides on a street car, accelerates guide wear.

MVaughn
02-27-2006, 09:42 PM
Brass valve guides is something not mentioned.

DUGZSHELBY
02-28-2006, 03:27 PM
Gotcha!

8valves
02-28-2006, 10:39 PM
Well my apologies on giving out misinformation. I know I always cut my guides down on my car, and I drive it roughly 10K miles a year. But the head is usually off every winter for a check-up, so...?

Sorry though.

Aaron Miller

rbryant
03-02-2006, 03:11 PM
+1mm or more oversize valves, deshroud the chambers, port the head, gasket match for sure, clip the valve guides so they don't drop, run 3.3L conical valve springs,

What is the spring rate on the conical springs compared to stock or S60?

-Rich

Kulgii
03-02-2006, 03:16 PM
Back cut the valves too?

turbovanmanČ
03-02-2006, 05:45 PM
What is the spring rate on the conical springs compared to stock or S60?

-Rich

I'll see what i can dig up, I had mine tested but probably lost the info when I moved shops.
Off the top of my head, at low lifts, theres less pressure but as the valve opens, the pressure gets even with the reg springs.

Back cut the valves too?

I say sure but Steve Menegon says no, and he is the pro on this. I did have mine flowed with backcut valves and it seemed to help.