PDA

View Full Version : Sure grip worth it?

TurbododgePirate
03-10-2008, 03:05 PM
Okay, I have a 1985 Dodge D150 with a 9-1/4 rear end. It is currently a open differential. An auburn limited slip costs about $400. I have the opportunity to get a Sure grip differential (Stock limited slip) for $100. Is it worth it? Would I be better off waiting to get a auburn?

karlak
03-10-2008, 03:29 PM
For $100 dollars I assume it is used. How many miles are on it. Stock limited slip will need rebuilding after awhile. I have limited expierance with a auburn locker. Either one would be better than the open diff.

TurbododgePirate
03-10-2008, 04:37 PM
For $100 dollars I assume it is used. How many miles are on it. Stock limited slip will need rebuilding after awhile. I have limited expierance with a auburn locker. Either one would be better than the open diff.

Well, I was told the stock diff has about 8000 miles on it. I understand that the 9-1/4 is nearly indestructable even doing peg legs over and over and over again. I just want something a little more. I know that the Auburn would be awesome, I am just wondering how good the sure grip is. I mean is it like a Quaiffe Vs OBX (very close), or Quaiffe Vs alabama man (worlds apart, but same basic function)

EDIT: I am reading a lot of places that people actually prefer the Sure Grip over the Auburn. I like the idea that it can be rebuilt, and is limited slip.

Looks liek I am going to get it. Now I need to learn how to install one. :)