PDA

View Full Version : Tips and tricks for installing an MSII

mpboost
03-09-2008, 01:41 AM
So I bought an assembled Megasquirt II a couple months back for my Turbo Aries. I have the car running on a 1988 TI SMEC right now, but I really wanted full fuel/spark control. One of my friends installed MSII on his turbo AE86 Corolla so we are pretty comfortable with the tuning and setup.

On his setup we used EDIS, but I am planning to use the hall effect in the distributor combined with a Bosch ignitor to send power to the coil. I was reading somewhere (probably on the MS forums) that using the NA distributor and hall effect is better because the shutter wheel and single hall effect work better with the MS II logic. Is this true?

Any other tid bits I should know to make things go smoother would be greatly appreciated :thumb:

Aries_Turbo
03-11-2008, 07:55 PM
sell it and buy a prom burner and shoot me a PM. :) i have full control of everything.

actually the MS is a good unit and you can use the dist and the bosch ignitor and yes the TBI distributor only has the windows for spark and not the cyl#1 trigger so it is a better choice for the MS.

unless someone has gone to the trouble of making chrysler temp sensor maps, just swap to the GM sensors.

Id get an entire TBI harness for the car and remove the EFI stuff and leave the turn signals and other things. then add the few wires that you need for the MS. that way youll have a spare SMEC harness to sell/use. have the MS control the fuel pump too.

make sure you enable autotune and go drive around for a while with part throttle and no boost (remove wastegate arm so the puck swings in the breeze) and get it to learn the part throttle stuff. the autotune works well and you can control the extent to which it makes changes. once that is done and if you have a wideband, you can actually have it slowly tune the boost part of things.

only thing i dont like about the MS is the fact that it doesnt have factory timing retard under knock. you have to mess around with things to get it to work. search for "detonation can" as youll need this to help get the knock stuff tuned in so it works.

shoot me a PM when you are getting ready and I can help you make a timing map that is identical to the 87 T2 setup translated to MS.

Brian

mpboost
03-13-2008, 11:56 PM
Thanks for the reply Brian.

I already pre-emptively bought the GM sensors. I also have a PLX Wideband going in at the same time.

I am kind of against trying to burn my own prom for the SMEC. I would love to have full control of the factory SMEC but I am not very code oriented and even after reading some of the threads on here, I still feel very lost. Do you guys have an easy to use GUI to change the parameters when you do this? I need something that is dumbed down :confused:

With the megasquirt I am kind of relying on my friend to help me through the tuning process, which is what kind of swayed me towards choosing it.

Aries_Turbo
03-14-2008, 05:42 PM
i guess you havent seen d-cal or chem2? they are easy to use GUI's to edit the tables and constants. i wrote up a basic guide in the knowledge center on how and what to mess with.

Brian

ps, you have a PM