PDA

View Full Version : Replacing CV Joints

Whorse
02-26-2006, 10:24 PM
My stock CVs have gone, and are barely driveable, and need to be replaced.

I've been warned against Fencos, so what are my options. A few mechanics I know have told me that Mevotechs are basically just like Fencos, except brand new so they'll last longer. Beyond that I don't really have any idea what to look for. What has worked well for everyone else?

BadAssPerformance
02-26-2006, 10:29 PM
Around here, most of the major auto chains like Murray's, Pep Boys, AutoZone, etc. carry axles with lifetime warranties for less than $100 - last one I bought was $85. Compare that to the last time I priced out the 2 CV joints and 2 boots needed to rebuild an axle cost just about as much.

turbovanmanČ
02-26-2006, 11:27 PM
Around here, most of the major auto chains like Murray's, Pep Boys, AutoZone, etc. carry axles with lifetime warranties for less than $100 - last one I bought was $85. Compare that to the last time I priced out the 2 CV joints and 2 boots needed to rebuild an axle cost just about as much.

He is CANADIAN, lol!

Honestly, Mevotech are the same as Fenco and they don't use new outer joints either, so god knows what they rebuilt that day.

Warranties are great but after 2 or 3 times changing your axles, is it really worth it?

I found this company called JMC, located in Abbotsford, more expensive, roughly $170ish but you get a new outer joint and your guaranteed its done right. I have been using them for 5years and no issues, even in my van, which I have beaten badly.

BadAssPerformance
02-27-2006, 12:05 AM
Warranties are great but after 2 or 3 times changing your axles, is it really worth it?

I've actually never had to warranty one in a stocker... got the DSS axles in the Z now, so hopefully no worries there :thumb:

tryingbe
02-27-2006, 12:26 AM
Napa rebuilt half shaft costed me $68.

Whorse
02-27-2006, 01:06 AM
I can get Fencos for about 78 bucks a side, and mevotech for 100 bucks a side with my account at lordco (with exchange). Not sure if they come warrantied or not.

What's special about htis company in abby other than all new parts?

turbovanmanČ
02-27-2006, 04:07 AM
I can get Fencos for about 78 bucks a side, and mevotech for 100 bucks a side with my account at lordco (with exchange). Not sure if they come warrantied or not.

What's special about htis company in abby other than all new parts?

As I have mentioned, they do it inhouse, they don't build sh*t, and use new parts rather than reconditioned sh*t. The old saying goes, you get what you pay for and in this case, couldn't be more true.

Let me put it this way, I get warranty labour from Lordco, they don't with Fenco axles-NUFF said, :nod:

Whorse
02-27-2006, 08:53 AM
So you buy them through Lordco and not direct?

turbovanmanČ
02-27-2006, 01:37 PM
So you buy them through Lordco and not direct?

Lordco is my supplier, I buy from them and they offer jobbers-ME, warranty and labour. If a product they sell goes bad, I get a specified labour rate and another part. Fenco is such crap, they don't offer labour anymore, just another part. Ditto with rebuilt carbs, its also a crap shoot.