PDA

View Full Version : Grinding noises?

skitzo_inc
03-06-2008, 02:08 PM
When I go into reverse and back up farther than about ten feet, turning to the right, (I know it seems like this never happens, but every morning in my driveway...) I get a griding noise coming from the front passenger side tire. It's not a small noise, I can hear it above my music, and it only stops when I take it out of reverse, then no sound at all. This only happens in reverse, and has just started. I might need new brakes, but I'm not totally sure of what I can do to attempt to fix or solve this issue.

Thoughts?

MiniMopar
03-06-2008, 04:06 PM
Wheel bearing or CV, I'd guess.

skitzo_inc
03-06-2008, 06:39 PM
Welllllll poopy. I was hoping something simple that I could do. I guess I'll take it to a shop and have them look at it.

Turbodave
03-07-2008, 02:39 AM
On a Shelby Charger it's normal for the tires to rub on the inner splash shields when the wheel is turned to full lock, it's possible that might be the noise your hearing.

supercrackerbox
03-07-2008, 03:59 AM
What does it sound like with the music off?

BTW, axles are easy to replace, 20 minute job if you have air tools.

skitzo_inc
03-07-2008, 10:46 AM
I have no air tools...in fact...I have no tools! I need to buy some out of my next check. It's a grinding noise, I turn off the stereo, and all I hear is grinding, bad grinding. That's the best explanation I can give right now.
I know it's not the rubbing of the wheels, that happens going forward and backward, but this noise only happens when I turn to the right, backing up.

supercrackerbox
03-07-2008, 03:09 PM
Can you feel any vibration in the steering wheel, floorpans, or shifter when it's happening?

I think I'd start by getting the whole car on jackstands, and try turning and shaking each wheel to look for a bad bearing. Then take the wheels off, and inspect the front and rear brakes, and the condition of the axles. On the axles, look for torn or missing boots.

skitzo_inc
03-07-2008, 07:50 PM
I feel slight vibration, but nothing more than a rubbing tire. I had my roommate stand outside my car as I turned driving in reverse and turning right. He saw the tire hit the wheelwell and made the noise. My father put sixty series tires on it before I bought it from him. I hope this is the problem...I just don't know why it doesn't make that sound going forward. I'll try to find somewhere to put the car up on jackstands, I know almost no one in this area...

MiniMopar
03-07-2008, 08:03 PM
Yeah, Dave is probably right. When I put 60-series tires on my Shadow, the tire rubbed right on this seam sticking out at the base of the fender. The treads made a bizarre noise on it, not like the noise they make rubbing on the plastic splash shields.

Turbodave
03-07-2008, 08:30 PM
I feel slight vibration, but nothing more than a rubbing tire. I had my roommate stand outside my car as I turned driving in reverse and turning right. He saw the tire hit the wheelwell and made the noise. My father put sixty series tires on it before I bought it from him. I hope this is the problem...I just don't know why it doesn't make that sound going forward. I'll try to find somewhere to put the car up on jackstands, I know almost no one in this area...

Most likely there is some compliance in the control arm bushings that lets things move around a little bit. When your moving backwards the wheel is pushed towards the front of the wheel-well as opposed to when your moving forward where it's pushed back.

60 series tires are huge on a shelby Charger, I know even with the stock 50 series mine wore through the splash shield and polished the trans case.