PDA

View Full Version : Keeping it Mostly Stock

skitzo_inc
03-06-2008, 01:41 PM
Got a question for everyone. I'm wanting to make my 85 S/C a little faster, or as fast as I can, without doing much to the car to make it far from stock. Planning on intercooling it, manual boost gauge, new tac and a boost gauge (tiny ones, placed above the stereo on the dash) but not sure what else I can do. I have a spare 2.2 Turbo, just needs rebuilt, and I might make that the roadster turbo FAST! But not sure on anything right now.

Thoughts?

Murphy
03-06-2008, 02:26 PM
to intercool it is going to be a good bit of work, either a t2 swap/upgrade, DC over the top IC setup or s custom intake manifold

you can at this point just raise the boost to 12 psi with no other mods

skitzo_inc
03-06-2008, 06:40 PM
I'm getting the parts for the intercooling process here shortly, I'm guessing in a few months. 12PSI will most likely be a lot quicker than I have right now. Intake and exhaust will be done here shortly as well. That's still mostly stock....

GLHS592
03-06-2008, 07:12 PM
http://fwdmopar.50megs.com/javaindex.html

skitzo_inc
03-06-2008, 07:26 PM
Interesting. I didn't know it was that much to change things...I guess I have a hell of a project in front of me!

GLHS592
03-06-2008, 08:14 PM
It's really not that hard. People here will be more than willing to give you advice. I bet there might even be a few in your area that might give you a helping hand. I've converted two cars myself, so let me know if you need any advice.

Marcus86GLHS
03-07-2008, 05:05 AM
intercooling an originally non-intercooled engine isnt the hardest engine work but it isnt the easiest either, you can do it w/ a little help as was said.

if i had a T1 car and wanted to keep it stock as you said you wanted to do but add a little more power w/o going radical i'd add a better exhaust (2.5 or 3 inch), a MP Stage II logic module (or a custom logic module from FWD Perf or TU), and a manual boost controller and set it for around 10 psi. super-simple stuff and your engine bay will look nearly bone stock heck even your A-525 trany will be safe at this power level. good luck w/ your project.

skitzo_inc
03-07-2008, 02:31 PM
If I did all of the above, what cost am I looking at?

minigts
03-07-2008, 02:40 PM
The exhaust will depend on whether you buy new or used, but $125-175 for the 2.5", a LITTLE more for the 3". The bleed valve (manual boost controller) is anywhere from $30-60, again depending on where you get it. Some have created their own, so that price will vary. The computer will be the biggest expense because of the sheer fact that computer programming is not something everyone can do. I would say anywhere from $250-$300 for that. I think those are the dollars I paid for some of my upgrades. Others probably have paid less because they have better sources and can fabricate or program their own stuff.

Turbodave
03-07-2008, 02:56 PM
intercooling an originally non-intercooled engine isnt the hardest engine work but it isnt the easiest either, you can do it w/ a little help as was said.

if i had a T1 car and wanted to keep it stock as you said you wanted to do but add a little more power w/o going radical i'd add a better exhaust (2.5 or 3 inch), a MP Stage II logic module (or a custom logic module from FWD Perf or TU), and a manual boost controller and set it for around 10 psi. super-simple stuff and your engine bay will look nearly bone stock heck even your A-525 trany will be safe at this power level. good luck w/ your project.

If I did all of the above, what cost am I looking at?

A stage 1 cal for an 85 from FWD is $125. The MP computer is similar and is about the same price new. Used MP computers are usually available in the $50-75 range from what I've seen on the forums and ebay. Both of these will run the car to 12psi, so a boost controller shouldn't be needed, but it is a nice way to improve responsiveness. I've seen them from $25-100 depending upon the bling factor.

I would go with the JRB style exhaust (it is complete almost all the way up to the turbo) Which FWD sells for $165 in 2.5" form, or $200 in 3". 2.5" is a little easier to install and is fine for modest power levels, but 3" is cool too, the less backpressure the better.

The above is a good recipe to get a few extra hp safely out of your car without chaning it's appearance too much. I would say that with a computer, exhaust and some sticky tires it should give the car the potential to run in the low 15's at the track.

skitzo_inc
03-07-2008, 07:54 PM
When I had the car in High School, the one time I ran it at the track, I ran a 15 flat burning smoke off the front tire. The guy who owned it before me put a different motor in it (I blowed it up) and now I'm thinking it runs mid-15's. I know it's not the fastest on the street, but I would love to run mid to high 13's. I'm gonna get that exhaust, the computer, and sticky tires, and a new intake. (Turbo II as well...)
I'm excited. Great thing I work on commission!

Turbodave
03-07-2008, 08:40 PM
When I had the car in High School, the one time I ran it at the track, I ran a 15 flat burning smoke off the front tire. The guy who owned it before me put a different motor in it (I blowed it up) and now I'm thinking it runs mid-15's. I know it's not the fastest on the street, but I would love to run mid to high 13's. I'm gonna get that exhaust, the computer, and sticky tires, and a new intake. (Turbo II as well...)
I'm excited. Great thing I work on commission!

For a mid/high 13 second package converting to a blow through intake and intercooling it is the way to go.

The computer you will need for an intercooled car is different, so keep that in mind before you buy an MP one or anything. Two most popular options are to run an 86/87 GLHS computer, or an 87 TurboII computer. Both require a few wiring changes and for you to swap to an 86 style distributor.

supercrackerbox
03-08-2008, 04:10 AM
I'll tell you one thing, back when my Daytona was stock (same TI drivetrain) the MP computer was the best thing I ever did to the car.

If you're looking for a late TI/TII intake, I've got one on the shelf in black wrinkle finish (it's a true TII intake) that I'd let go for cheap. Heck, if you wanna stop by on your way to or from Omaha today, you're welcome to raid my garage for anything you might need, I need to get rid of some stuff. Of course, anything for the GLHS is off limits . . . ;)

skitzo_inc
03-09-2008, 01:45 AM
I'm going back on Monday, and I will definetly stop by and raid your garage if that would be ok with you. I would like anything that will help. I also need to get a boost gauge, and have someone tell me how to install it. When/if you work, what time would be good? His plane leaves at 6 and I don't have to be back till mid night ish. PM me if you want, I'll give you my number, or get it from Ray if he saved it.

supercrackerbox
03-09-2008, 01:54 AM
Eh, weekdays are kinda tight, I have an appointment monday morning, and then I have to go pick up my Charger from the shop, and then be out the door on the way to work. I'm usually home by 10:45pm, unless they ask me to work late, in which case it would be 12:45am.

skitzo_inc
03-09-2008, 02:02 AM
Wow. Busy day. lincoln isn't that far away, I'm sure we could figure something out, for a day in the future. I would like that intake.

skitzo_inc
03-12-2008, 10:02 AM
Update*
My father just called and gave me some more information on the 2.2TURBO motor that came with my car. Off that Daytona he sold a while ago, he took off the blow off valve, the intake, and I believe the computer. I think it was a TII car, but I'm not sure. I drove it for 200 miles before I realized that we had bought a lemon. It had a blown motor, and the asshat cut off the exhaust so it was so loud you couldn't hear it knocking. :@ Either way, when I get all the stuff, I'll take pictures and upload them so you all can tell me what I have. :) I fail at working on cars, so I'm sure I'll need help at some point.

Thanks again!

TurbododgePirate
03-17-2008, 02:38 PM
Look up Alcohol injection and read up on it. I think the best bet is to do a Devils Own, or similar alky injection. Cheap and fast.

turbokid
03-17-2008, 06:18 PM
a t2 swap would be a good upgrade for your s/c for sure. I have an 86 laser thats going t2 and glhs electronics. Easiest way IMO to go fast for easy in a t1 2.2

skitzo_inc
03-17-2008, 08:09 PM
From the lot of thinking I've been doing about my car, I think I'm going to go totally stock. It would be nice to have a faster car, but the more I do to it, the less reliable it will become, and it's super reliable right now. Still going to do the paint job, and fix the other minor things, but I'm not sure I want to do anything else to it.

Is it still a good idea to get a boost gauge? I know that's easily reversible, and it might be good to have.

I do have a spare 2.2 so I think I'm gonna do all the work to that one, and just have it able to swap right in and keep the miles off the stock car, then I can have a fast one and a backup working one!

supercrackerbox
03-18-2008, 03:47 AM
Bummer you sold that Daytona, huh?

Crap, that reminds me, I gotta rebuild the steering column out of that car sometime this week . . .

skitzo_inc
03-18-2008, 08:34 AM
Bummer you sold that Daytona, huh?

Crap, that reminds me, I gotta rebuild the steering column out of that car sometime this week . . .

Not really. I bought that when I didn't have another car, had not had one for about nine months. When it was blown up, I didn't have the time, money, or effort to make it work. The 2.2 spare I have it s from that car, actually...with all the goodies. :] I just ended up trading my father for the Camaro, and that was a good reliable car, just crap for gas milage.