PDA

View Full Version : Look what my 568 did!

mock_glh
03-05-2008, 12:39 AM
Lately I had noticed an unusual amount of oil under my Omni. I had been working on a new breather system for the engine and I thought maybe that was leaking. Then, the other day, I took it out for a ride and after parking it for a few minutes, I came back and it was dripping pretty seriously from the bellhousing. I suspected a bad crank seal so I went home to check it out and it seemed more like trans oil, even though it was black. I tested the oil by spraying Super Clean on it and it checked out as from the trans. Those of you who don't know about this, used oil from the engine will turn purple when Super Clean is sprayed on it, probably from the combustion residue in it, but oil from the trans doesn't. Anyway I had a feeling what it was so I pulled the trans and sure enough my suspicion was verified. The bearing sleeve on the pinion shaft had come off and broken through the case. Well, that trans had a lot of hard runs on it and was beginning to act up, so I threw in one of the others I have collected for just such an occasion. It's all better now.:)

MiniMopar
03-05-2008, 01:17 AM
Wow I've never seen that before. The sleeve walked off the main shaft. How weird. Is it tight on there? I know when I replaced mine in the A568, it was a bare to get the old one off and almost impossible to get the new one on until I heated it up.

mock_glh
03-05-2008, 01:26 AM
I've been beating on this thing for years so I'm really not surprised that this happened. However, back in late '06, I put in a set of 3.50 gears with an OBX diff and made about 10 passed at the track and was not satisfied with the performance so I took them out and the same thing had happened with them just that quick. Maybe the fit wasn't as tight as it should have been.

87glhs232
03-05-2008, 01:29 AM
Wow Boyd. That's a new one.:confused:

2.216VTurbo
03-05-2008, 03:33 AM
So I'm guessing this could easily account for the 2MPH you've been missing the last few times out;)

Turbo224
03-05-2008, 03:54 AM
Wow. I am sure with as many passes as it has probably seen that it was only a matter of time. Im glad ya got it all fixed, because I REALLY want to see it in Vegas this month!

mock_glh
03-05-2008, 11:37 AM
So I'm guessing this could easily account for the 2MPH you've been missing the last few times out;)

As hard as it was to turn it (I had to use vise grips on the shaft) that could be possible. I'm certainly optimistic.